Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2022, 02:06 AM   #6941
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
None of those players were deadline acquisitions. They were foundational pieces.

Hockey players are not machine parts; they are not plug-and-play. There is a long history of teams acquiring big names at the deadline, only to have them contribute very little because they weren't on the team long enough to mesh with the roster.

If Kane had term left, I wouldn't mind acquiring him; but if he did, his cap hit would be prohibitive, and the price to acquire him would be outrageous. As it is, this team's window is open for several years to come, and it's not worth slamming that window shut for an extra (maybe) 5% chance of winning this year.

Early signs are that Coronato is likely to pan out. If he does, he's a sniper on an ELC for two years during the team's window. That's far more valuable than a sniper on a high-priced contract for six weeks plus one year's playoffs. Of all the picks and prospects in the Flames' system, he is the one I would be most reluctant to part with.
All fair points.

Last edited by Sandman; 10-20-2022 at 02:08 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 06:07 AM   #6942
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
"Deadline pickups rarely lead to cup wins"? Patrick Kane isn't your typical deadline pickup.
The same thing was said about Iginla when he was traded to Pittsburgh.

They didn't have to give up their (arguably) best prospect in a Coronato equivalent.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #6943
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

In addition to the glory of a Cup for Calgary and us fans, it would be funny if Kane won another cup here after one of his biggest fans left the city to play in Columbus.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 07:28 AM   #6944
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

They didn't have to give up their (arguably) best prospect in a Coronato equivalent.
So we just have to hope at the last hour Kane says he will ONLY go to Calgary. Easy enough.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #6945
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

Iggy was no longer the Iggy of the past when he was traded. He also didn't have the SC pedigree. But Iggy limiting himself to one team was the biggest difference.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #6946
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I just can't see Kane to NYR their cap space is nearly impossible to work with.

Pat Kanes cap hit is 10.5M (5.25 at 50% retained).

Rangers deadline cap space is 808K

Ranger players that could possibly be moved out to make him fit at 50% retained

Kreider (not happening), Zibanejad (not happening), Panarin (not happening), Trouba (Good luck), Adam Fox (not happening)
If you look at teams that can squeeze in $5.25 mil at the deadline probably need around $1 mil cap space right now. The Flames for me jump out as what I think is the best team out of any team that currently has $1 mil cap space or more right now.

Nashville and Minnesota are probably the next best team. Teams like Detroit or Ottawa could be good, but I doubt they are top 10 teams in the league this year.

The Flames are positioned very well to be a big player come the deadline and with the depth they have right now it makes sense to push for a top RW more than anything.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:46 AM   #6947
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Can Coronato not just do to the Flames what Fox did? Hrmm.. same University, same home state..

I'm not saying we don't trust American players and I understand this is a stretch it happens to the Flames twice... wait three times?, but after being snake bitten by the close to home thing a few times... if we had a chance to add Kane a proven champion that can put this team on his back for an entire series, I'd do it. All day.

I don't understand how the cap would work though... and I would hate to see someone like Lucic shipped out just for cap space, gutting the teams bottom line chemistry and locker room.

The other thing to think about is that Kane is probably going somewhere, and to win the Cup you will most likely have to go through him. Imagine Edmonton with Kane?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 10-20-2022 at 09:48 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:05 AM   #6948
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Can Coronato not just do to the Flames what Fox did? Hrmm.. same University, same home state..

I'm not saying we don't trust American players and I understand this is a stretch it happens to the Flames twice... wait three times?, but after being snake bitten by the close to home thing a few times... if we had a chance to add Kane a proven champion that can put this team on his back for an entire series, I'd do it. All day.

I don't understand how the cap would work though... and I would hate to see someone like Lucic shipped out just for cap space, gutting the teams bottom line chemistry and locker room.

The other thing to think about is that Kane is probably going somewhere, and to win the Cup you will most likely have to go through him. Imagine Edmonton with Kane?
Some of what has been speculated is that any Kane trade could be a complex one involving him being sent to a team initially and then sent to the eventual end-team, to allow for two teams to retain.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 10:09 AM   #6949
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
So we just have to hope at the last hour Kane says he will ONLY go to Calgary. Easy enough.
Kane has a full NMC (same as Iginla) and will only go to the team of his choice. Calgary might not even be on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Iggy was no longer the Iggy of the past when he was traded. He also didn't have the SC pedigree. But Iggy limiting himself to one team was the biggest difference.
The season prior to Iginla's departure he scored 32 goals. The season before that, he scored 43.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #6950
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were Treliving I would want a commitment from Coronato that he is signing at the end of this college season or seriously think about dangling him. Patrick Kane is NOT a player I would be going after., simply because he is a short-term solution. If I'm moving Coronato I want someone back with term that is going to add to the core of the team and solidifying that window.

Guys that I would be more interested in would be Josh Anderson, Charlie Coyle, Jake Debrusk, Travis Konecny, Conor Garland, Kasperi Kapanen, Luke Kunin, Jordan Eberle, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Anthony Beauvillier, David Perron, and Nick Schmaltz. Some more interet than others, but I think they could fit in well and move the team's window forward more than a rental for one season.

First goal is to get Coronato signed, but if he doesn't use him to bring in one of these players sooner than later.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 10:16 AM   #6951
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
With the trades & signings the Flames have made, their future is pretty much set to be San Jose's present.

So when it comes to our current picks and prospects, unless they are going to help the Flames win the cup in the next 2-3 years, they should all be traded for something that will.

There will be plenty of time to refill the prospect pool while when the team is filled with old players no longer worth their contract.
Huberdeau relies on his vision and ability to make quick passes, as opposed to speed or strength. He was also a late bloomer. I could see him being at the top of his game for another 4 years.

The Flames also aren't an organization that relies on burn it down style rebuilds. The Flames, in the past, have refused to move their top prospects for rentals. I really don't see that changing now. Picks sure, but not players they've poured resources into developing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #6952
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can Iginla or Cammelari just come back out of retirement for one season please?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #6953
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Huberdeau relies on his vision and ability to make quick passes, as opposed to speed or strength. He was also a late bloomer. I could see him being at the top of his game for another 4 years.

The Flames also aren't an organization that relies on burn it down style rebuilds. The Flames, in the past, have refused to move their top prospects for rentals. I really don't see that changing now. Picks sure, but not players they've poured resources into developing.
He has hit his offensive peak a little later but I wouldn't say he was a late bloomer.

A top 3 pick that played in the NHL at 19 is hardly a late bloomer.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #6954
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
If I were Treliving I would want a commitment from Coronato that he is signing at the end of this college season or seriously think about dangling him. Patrick Kane is NOT a player I would be going after., simply because he is a short-term solution. If I'm moving Coronato I want someone back with term that is going to add to the core of the team and solidifying that window.

Guys that I would be more interested in would be Josh Anderson, Charlie Coyle, Jake Debrusk, Travis Konecny, Conor Garland, Kasperi Kapanen, Luke Kunin, Jordan Eberle, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Anthony Beauvillier, David Perron, and Nick Schmaltz. Some more interet than others, but I think they could fit in well and move the team's window forward more than a rental for one season.

First goal is to get Coronato signed, but if he doesn't use him to bring in one of these players sooner than later.
Beauvillier is the name that intrigues me.

Islanders are off to a poor start and I'm not even sure Beauvillier would cost a 1st or Coronato. Think you could get him with a 2nd and a lesser prospect.

He'd fit in really well next to Backlund and Coleman IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #6955
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Can Iginla or Cammelari just come back out of retirement for one season please?
Oh my…

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Iginla
Mangiapane - Kadri - Cammalleri
Coleman - Backlund - Toffoli
Lucic - Rooney - Dube
Ritchie, Lewis

Hanifin - Andersson
Weegar - Tanev
Zadorov - Stone
Mackey

Markstrom
Vladar

Just had to see what that would look like… drool
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:16 PM   #6956
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Early in the season so who knows which players will be available but what does everyone think of targeting David Perron from the Red Wings? If Detroit is in the playoff race I assume he won’t be available. Signed for 2 years at $4.75 million per year. Is a right wing with playoff experience who always seems to produce everywhere he goes. He is 34 though. He might be a cheaper option than Kane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:29 PM   #6957
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Early in the season so who knows which players will be available but what does everyone think of targeting David Perron from the Red Wings? If Detroit is in the playoff race I assume he won’t be available. Signed for 2 years at $4.75 million per year. Is a right wing with playoff experience who always seems to produce everywhere he goes. He is 34 though. He might be a cheaper option than Kane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would love Perron on this team, maybe because he's an absolute flame killer, but he's a very opportunistic scorer who's still quite fast and adds another option to PP2. Also with 2 years left on his contract, his term matches our contending window, I'd be happy to have him.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #6958
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
I would love Perron on this team, maybe because he's an absolute flame killer, but he's a very opportunistic scorer who's still quite fast and adds another option to PP2. Also with 2 years left on his contract, his term matches our contending window, I'd be happy to have him.
I don’t think they have space to be adding anyone with term for next year, unless they move out Toffoli or someone in the offseason. Even with near league minimum contracts next year they might only have an extra 1 - 1.5 mil in space after their roster is filled out. That is with the best case scenario 4 mil jump in salary cap. Any less than that and they are in even bigger trouble.

If they are contending this year at the deadline this is the year to go the rental route. Anyone with term left means someone has to move in the offseason. Now if you could bring in Konecny or something then maybe you are ok losing Toffoli in the offeason. So maybe depends who has the term, but not sure someone like Perron is worth losing someone in the offseason for.
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #6959
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jim Rutherford sounded like he wanted to make a trade on HNIC on Saturday. I want Conor Garland for the Flames. I think we’d want to send back Nikita Zadorov plus futures to make the cap work and keep the blue line strong. I guess I think Garland’s a good target because I don’t think he’d be overly expensive, and his salary is doable.

26 years old. Right handed. Good skater. Solid metrics. ~55 points/82 games over the last 3 seasons previous to this one.

Last edited by Nelson; 10-25-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #6960
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I doubt we would want to send Zadorov. Guy just committed to 2 years with the Flames and has blossomed under Sutter who also seems to have taken a liking to him.

Also a division rival is probably going to want a fair bit more than that.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote