Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default How young is too young - skating

Just wondering if I'm a little out to lunch or not on this subject?

My son is going to be 19 months this month, so probably about 21/22 months when the outdoor rinks open up. I'm not looking to get him to learn to skate yet, but I think he would have a fun time strapping on some bob skates and I could pull/push him around the ice.

Haven't looked into helmets yet but I would like one just in case there was an accidental tumble while I was skating with him.

Good or bad idea? Get him used to the idea of skating, have some fun going around the rink or bowness. Seems like a win-win to me.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Just wondering if I'm a little out to lunch or not on this subject?

My son is going to be 19 months this month, so probably about 21/22 months when the outdoor rinks open up. I'm not looking to get him to learn to skate yet, but I think he would have a fun time strapping on some bob skates and I could pull/push him around the ice.

Haven't looked into helmets yet but I would like one just in case there was an accidental tumble while I was skating with him.

Good or bad idea? Get him used to the idea of skating, have some fun going around the rink or bowness. Seems like a win-win to me.
Definitely a helmet.

Your back will likely not think it's a win-win, but if your son enjoys it then why not.

At that age they might have more fun being put in a sled and pulled around the ice - but if he's into it I don't see why not.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have him wear his skates with skate guards around the house a bit first to steady/strengthen his ankles
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

bring a bag of skittles
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Have him wear his skates with skate guards around the house a bit first to steady/strengthen his ankles
Bob skates have no ankle support, it has 2 blades and you strap them to your boots.

Again, not looking to have him learn right now just get used to the idea of ice and skating.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"How young is too young?"

Oh yeah, this thread could have gone anywhere....

I'm looking forward to the new thread:

"How many 5-Year Olds could you take.....on Skates?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Family Holiday to Mystery, Ak...just so he can 'skate the river"
Old 09-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard bob skates are a bad idea for kids because it doesn't offer the same feel as normal skates, and they end up learning improper technique before they ever strap on real skates.

I'm not sure I buy that claim, but it does make some sense.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snowsuit him up, helmet of some sort on, put the bobs on and go. You'll be holding him your entire time. Because he's not even 2 yet you won't last super long, so to make it easier on you you might want to bring a sled or something so that you can pull him while you skate.

At this age it's nothing to do with skating. Enjoy the fun family and outdoor time.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"How young is too young?"

Oh yeah, this thread could have gone anywhere....

I'm looking forward to the new thread:

"How many 5-Year Olds could you take.....on Skates?"

You just have to catch one kid, and you have a weapon. The other 5 year olds wouldn't be able to swing themselves around like nunchucks. Which also is why I hate going to the public rink where there are a clueless parents who like to carry their angry, kicking kids with skates still on their feet. Yeah, thanks, I would prefer not to get decapitated today.

Anyway, we tried bob-skates with our kids when they were at that age range. I don't think they benefitted from it. They make real skates for that age, and you can usually find them cheap on Kijiji and they're adjustable to a certain foot size. Don't get into the mechanics of skating just yet, but as other suggested, just have them walk as normally as they can on the ice, and eventually the gliding will occur naturally.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #11
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bob skates are super cheap (like $10), but I have a pair that I'll give you if you want - I keep forgetting to throw them into the goodwill pile.

In reality, you'll likely spend more time suiting your kid up to go out to skate than they'll spend on the skates (or maybe it was just my kid???) For sure find a good helmet. For some odd reason, we did not find a helmet that fit her well at that age, but I know they exist.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Never too early, but find real skates. Just swap em in and out of Play It Again Sports as they grow out of them.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tossed bob skates on my kid at 18 months. He had fun. I used his bike helmet too.

Most of the first year, was spent holding him under the arms and skating him around. I'd occasionally get him to stand on his own, but he was always a bit afraid to move on his own.

The year after, I had real skates for him, and he learned to shuffle on his own that year, and ultimately get up when he fell down.

Honestly, at that age, get him bob skates as they're cheap, and get a tube of Icy Hot and Cold for your back.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #14
Csquared
Draft Pick

He's fine for the bob skates but unless he has siblings you're taking him out with I feel they're kind of useless.
Bob skates will sometimes fall off and don't help them learn to skate at all as they are completely different.
It's a lot easier for you and more fun for them to just pull them around on a sled or push them on a chair though you will want a helmet for that as well.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

At around 20 months I took my son on the ice with some skates and he loved it! My back sure didn't enjoy it though, so be ready for that.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think you ever want to get your child used to bobskates personally. Better to have a bucket or chair they can lean on. My son was in skates soon after being able to walk. It was so much fun.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #17
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few thoughts:

- Stay away from bobskates, they are useless
- Ideally if you can stay away from the chairs or things they lean on (too bent over) that would be helpful...getting them away from those things is difficult. This is a tricky one though, not sure the best solution
- At 3 years it's fun to just get them on the ice and them wanting to have fun doing it
- Age 4 you could start doing some skating programs (CanSkate, City of Calgary, etc)
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they can walk, they can skate.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had my kid in parented skating last year and he was just over 3.

Longest 30 minutes of my life bending down and holding him up the whole time. I wore skates myself which made me taller and probably didn't help but I felt more comfortable with skates on while I was out there although it wasn't mandatory.

Couple things I did about 1/2 way through which helped his confidence and overall "try" level.

- Put a cage on his helmet
- Made him wear elbow pads and shin pads

He's 4 now and I have him in un-parented this year. Lets see what happens. Kids usually do better when mom and dad aren't around.

As far as gear, go used on Kijiji. You'll find nearly brand new stuff on there for $20 at their size.

Last edited by dubc80; 09-13-2018 at 08:57 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get them some hockey pants for when they fall on their butts, too.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
father son time , kids , skate , winter