Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #201
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If Bennett has a breakout season I think at least one of Stone/Frolik will have to go. Hopefully Bennett earns a 6 year $4M per deal. Tkachuk could be 7x7 and I can see Treliving looking to add a high prices big name goalie unless Gillies/Rittich/Parsons have a monster year and they sign Smith for 2 more years at $3M per and go with the young guy

Players with considerable upside don’t sign $4M contracts for 6 years. You will see players who are at their ceilings sign those types of contracts. I am basing this on today’s cap ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #202
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Players with considerable upside don’t sign $4M contracts for 6 years. You will see players who are at their ceilings sign those types of contracts. I am basing this on today’s cap ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right, so the question is what does the player's body of evidence show to date? A good showing during a playoff run, followed by a decent season as a rookie and then two disappointing seasons isn't exactly convincing of a player's upside being factual. I actually think that even if Bennett has a great season this year (50 points), the Flames will note that it's the first time it happened and be able to reason out a lower salary number based on that.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote