Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #21
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that its particularly valuable, but I have 2 signed hockey cards from Ray Ferraro when I was in a summer hockey camp he was an instructor at. He was a stellar coach and really made me believe in myself at a young age so thank you Ray, I'll hold onto those forever.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #22
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have three from when I was 12, Crosby, Ovechkin, and Phaneuf’s rookie cards. No idea if they’re worth anything. The Crosby one is in good condition, the Phaneuf one is near mint, and the Ovi one is beat up but I don’t plan on selling it. Ovi was the last one I got to complete the three. I traded a kid who was a Ducks fan every Ducks player I owned for his beat up Ovi rookie. I wanted it so bad just to say I had it. One of the happiest days of my grade 6 life.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Signed Guy LaFleur O-Pee-Chee Premier from 91. I had the card, and had him sign it when I met him as a young'un
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #24
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Somewhere in a box I have a Yzerman rookie card that is perfect, that was always my favorite when I was younger.
I have the complete 83/84 Opee-Chee set.
There are a few good rookie cards in there including Yzermans.
I completed the set buying individual packs. I ended with a number of duplicates including 3 or 4 of Yzermans.

Did anyone like the gum?

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boo Radley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #25
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rookie Joe Sakic PeeWee card. Still my all time favorite non Flame
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #26
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Disclaimer:

I am not a Jets fan (though I do cheer for the Bombers second after the Stamps). I got this one signed at a concert, not a hockey game.

I don't know if it's my most "cherished", but it's my most memorable, because of how unique it is.

(Spoilered for image size)

Spoiler!
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #27
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Signed Guy LaFleur O-Pee-Chee Premier from 91. I had the card, and had him sign it when I met him as a young'un
I would imagine CP poster habernac would love to have that card.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #28
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have a Theo Fleury O-Pee-Chee rookie card. I don't think it's worth much, but it's my favorite.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #29
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 08-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #30
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Somewhere in a box I have a Yzerman rookie card that is perfect, that was always my favorite when I was younger.
Me too. My favourite by FAR!
Have complete sets from 82-88, so some decent cards in there.

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 08-24-2018 at 10:25 PM.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #31
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I had hockey cards as a kid, but most of them ended up dog-eared or clipped to a clothespeg to make a clakkety sound on my bicycle spokes.

That's when they used to come with a flour-coated brittle, thin stale wafer of tasteless, non-bubbling bubblegum.

I remember having too many Len Frigs and Gerry Desjardins which were basically untradeable. Then for a season or two there where WHA cards, of which my Danny Lawsons, Paul Terbenches and Smokey McLeods were highly treasured.

Sold off a shoebox at the height of the card craze in the '90s full of cards to a workmate who used to set a table at Westbrook shopping mall on weekends. I think I got about $70 for the lot. None were mint.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #32
3rd line Grinder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

its a toss up for me.

Iggy Rookie card with the "D" shape

Lanny Mcdonald Colorado Rockies Jersey Card

Backlund (1/1) template rookie card

Kipper 03/04 card printed after he was traded to the flames.
3rd line Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:43 AM   #33
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a few that I cherished.I kept none though. Some that I remember were Yzerman rookie, Patrick Roy rookie, Lafontaine rookie and Ray Bourque rookie.

Some of my other favorites were the first O-Pee-Chee Premier set. I bought the set off an acquaintance at school for $15. I knew I was getting ripped off at the time but for some reason I was okay with the price. Probably a year later or maybe less than that I broke up the set and sold the most expensive cards for hundreds of dollars. It was a successful investment! The guy I bought it off of later told me that he felt bad that he was going me off but since I was willing to pay $15 he convinced himself it was okay. He was kicking himself later on when the value sky rocketed. We became closer friends and he was my best man.

I also liked Upper Deck's first year of hockey cards. I loved the look and quality. They were like nothing we'd seen yet. Too bad they were over produced and thusly not worth very much.

The one that got away. Mario Lemieux rookie. I wanted one but never had the money whenever one was available.

The card craze of the early 90s was such fun. I had been collecting since 1980 and then everybody I knew was collecting. I loved trading cards with friends and buying and selling with friends and stores too. We would hang out at a store after school during that peak time of cards. Lots of fond memories.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:49 AM   #34
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favorite thing about this card is 1 goal... 1 game...
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 02:27 AM   #35
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an Al MacInnis rookie card that my grandma bought me when I started to get into hockey around 7-8.
It would have been 10ish years old when she bought it for me, so she must have gone to a shop to get it. No clue if it has any actual value, but it means a lot to me.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #36
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well this thread got me thinking, where are my cards?
I stopped collecting around the mid to late 90s
I’ve moved my “dads big box of hockey cards”(that’s what my wife and kids call it), from Calgary to Claresholm, to Colorado.
I picked up lots of different cards, loved the older ones from the 70s. I really liked the odd, interesting players that had a story. I have Glen Sathers card, Pat Quinn, Tim Horton, and lots of the meathead fighter types.
I’d try and get a whole series of cards like when McDonalds would give card packs away for a few years.
I kept thinking that my kids would some day love these...
When I find my box I’ll post some oddities. I have a few of these
Now I have to start digging....
ColoradoFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #37
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #38
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

1987/88 OPC Mike Vernon rookie card. Pretty sure I got it out of a pack (first year I ever collected cards), and he was my favourite player growing up. Interesting thing is that due to a printing error, it’s missing the first line of information on the back (so of course I wrote it in myself in pencil):

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #39
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

My dad gave me his small hockey card collection that had a Gretzky rookie card in it, Gordie Howe's last card, and other gems. I kept them in an old leather briefcase. In kindergarten I decided that I wanted to give them to my "girlfriend" a girl that my mom looked after. I often wonder if she ever cashed in.

I remember I needed some money as a young'en, maybe 12 or 13 so I brought in my Cam Neely rookie card. Got $12.00 for it at the time which I thought was awesome, close to that month's Beckett value. The next month Beckett came out and that card had gone up something like $10.00. I was very upset.

I haven't looked at my cards in a while, but I know that I have Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith rookie cards. I have a Ken Griffey rookie card. I have Theo Fleury, Brett Hull and a few others.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #40
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not worth anything but I was so proud when I managed to slowly trade for every teams card like this. Looked so great in my hockey card binder!

Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post: