Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #41
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not news necessarily, but this morning on 960 Boomer said that the deal is close, not imminent but "close" and that Hanifin would be at camp.

So there's that I suppose.
There are four notable RFA defensemen unsigned - Hanifin, Nurse, Theodore and Morrissey. Hanifin is two years younger.

All of them are pretty interchangeable. They're all high ceiling players, they all have around 30 points, they all have pretty good Corsi/Fenwick, for whatever that's worth.

Hanifin is the only one who scored 30+, but he's also the only one who got 60%+ O-zone starts. Morrissey and Nurse both start in their own end more often than not, and Theodore is in the middle.

Hanifin is the only one who hasn't played in the playoffs.

It feels a lot like a domino situation - age is a factor, but I don't see why Hanifin is the player to set the market here. Without having seen him play, I'd probably take Theodore or Morrissey over him if we were standing in Professor Oak's lab.

Tre hasn't had a bad RFA deal yet, so I'm not worried about this one.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #42
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There are four notable RFA defensemen unsigned - Hanifin, Nurse, Theodore and Morrissey. Hanifin is two years younger.

All of them are pretty interchangeable. They're all high ceiling players, they all have around 30 points, they all have pretty good Corsi/Fenwick, for whatever that's worth.

Hanifin is the only one who scored 30+, but he's also the only one who got 60%+ O-zone starts. Morrissey and Nurse both start in their own end more often than not, and Theodore is in the middle.

It feels a lot like a domino situation - age is a factor, but I don't see why Hanifin is the player to set the market here. Without having seen him play, I'd probably take Theodore or Morrissey over him if we were standing in Professor Oak's lab.

who the hell is professor oak?
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #43
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
who the hell is professor oak?
Spoiler!
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kickazzflames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #44
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Without having seen him play, I'd probably take Theodore or Morrissey over him.....
I think that Hanifin would have more trade value than these two.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #45
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think that Hanifin would have more trade value than these two.
I disagree. I think theyre a little more overhyped due to the market that they played in vs. hanafin. I don't think anyone cares about Carolina.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. I think theyre a little more overhyped due to the market that they played in vs. hanafin. I don't think anyone cares about Carolina.
I think it’s wild that Hanifin (and four other young players) were just involved in a major trade and its very difficult to discern the value that each player brought to the equation. Just a very unique transaction.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #47
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Dan Rosen @drosennhl
Spoke to Noah Hanifin tonight about his contract situation with the Flames. He's an RFA still, but said he's "super close" to signing and has no worries about not being signed before players report Sept. 9. He said he feels he can take his game to "the next level" this season.

Dan Rosen @drosennhl
Flames GM Brad Treliving also told me there are no worries about getting Hanifin under contract before camp opens. "We're very excited to have Noah," Treliving said.

Dan Rosen
@drosennhl
More coming in a full Hanifin story later. He's pretty pumped about the opportunity he has in Calgary.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-24-2018 at 06:22 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #48
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'll go ahead and assume he is signed by Monday.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Then you should see him play. He is a much more complete package, and has a higher upside than those guys. I think Seth Jones is a better comparison. Hanifin hasn't been as good on the defensive side as Jones was in his first 3 years, but he has been better offensively. And he has a similar, all-the-tools-to-be-a-star skill set as Jones.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #50
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That may make a difference to the average joe on the internet, but GM’s would be oblivious to the over hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #51
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving probably told Hanifin he could take it easy and not have to worry about his contract while he trains for next season, and that they would get the deal done before the season starts. I’m sure he’s been talking to Hanifin frequently.

This is really exciting news. I think we’re all going to love Hanifin and the potential he has.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #52
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That may make a difference to the average joe on the internet, but GM’s would be oblivious to the over hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which is why it's a good thing that according to hockey media, Treliving was praised by other GMs for the deal despite being panned by fanboys.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #53
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds to me like they are just coordinating the flights to get Conroy to the location of signing to get his smiling mug into the photo...
Old 08-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #54
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Then you should see him play. He is a much more complete package, and has a higher upside than those guys. I think Seth Jones is a better comparison. Hanifin hasn't been as good on the defensive side as Jones was in his first 3 years, but he has been better offensively. And he has a similar, all-the-tools-to-be-a-star skill set as Jones.
It's actually crazy how similar him and Jones are on paper. Their first three seasons pretty much line up exactly offensively, they are both over 6'2" 200lbs, both ranked higher than they went in the draft and got traded in or after their third season. Hopefully Hanifin can replicate Jones' 4th and 5th seasons too.

I wouldn't say its impossible either based on the natural progression of defencemen
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #55
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Sounds to me like they are just coordinating the flights to get Conroy to the location of signing to get his smiling mug into the photo...
Oh dear. Connie's probably still on the phone telling stories
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #56
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/noah-hanifi...ct/c-299853482

Quote:
"I want to be one of the best defensemen in the League and I definitely have the potential to do that," Hanifin said. "This year I'm going to have a little bit bigger of a role and play some more minutes. I obviously have to earn it, but if I do that, it's going to help me a lot. I think I'm ready for that next step. I think it's going to work out well."
Hanifin said he's hopeful to sign a contract of at least five years. Treliving wouldn't comment on the details of the negotiation.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #57
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’d think at this point money and length has been agreed to, it’s just the lawyers doing there thing.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #58
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really glad to hear this. I was starting to get a little worried, but when contracts take a while to be signed, it can either mean they are difficult negotiations or that both sides are on the same page and therefore there is no lack of urgency. Sounds like it is probably the latter.

I believe Hanifin will be a blessing for this team. I love his game and his attitude.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #59
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fact that he's friends with some of our core players has to be huge. It sounds like he has high expectations of himself. Just his pose gives hint that he has some leadership qualities. I'm looking forward to seeing how determined this group is to taking it to the next level.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The focus shift Treliving did this off season and adjusting the core has me beyond excited for the next few years. May not all be sunshine and rainbows this season but I think the on ice product will indeed sell itself to the fans who endured the streaky and very boring hockey of the Gully/Cameron era. Hanifin, Lindholm and Neal are exactly what the doctor ordered for this team.

honestly, the only real worry is long term goaltending. but i have faith in smith this year.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote