Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #181
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Unfortunately for Theo, it's not only on-ice play that gets a player's number in the rafters.

But you're right that we can only speculate what's gone on behind closed doors between Theo and the organization that is preventing his number from being retired.

The stuff that has been made public about his relationship with the organization hasn't typically been good though and the worst of it has been from his own comments.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #182
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Unfortunately for Theo, it's not only on-ice play that gets a player's number in the rafters.

But you're right that we can only speculate what's gone on behind closed doors between Theo and the organization that is preventing his number from being retired.

The stuff that has been made public about his relationship with the organization hasn't typically been good though and the worst of it has been from his own comments.
I agree with this and there's plenty to speculate on:

a. Does he simply disagree with Forever a Flame and wants no part of it?
b. Does he want compensation for participating in a PR event?
c. Do the Flames hold a grudge merely from past comments?

It took forever for Dave Keon to mend his fences with the Leafs. But it happened eventually.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #183
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post

The level of irrational responses - including complete made-up nonsense in the aims of making a point is just fascinating. Don't agree with someone's hero? Be prepared to have mud slung at you like:

Having someone insinuate that I don't care about Theo's tragic past (even though in the same damn post I did)

And then have a Pepsi claim that I am discrediting him as a Canadian somehow.

Discrediting him as a Canadian....

Yet I get a . Well, I guess I have no choice but to offer back a .
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #184
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think about a guy like Reggie Jackson. He hated his owner and his manager. He was very selfish and had a monster ego. His teammates couldn’t stand him. Yet he is celebrated by baseball and the Yankees. He is an icon no matter how bad his behaviour was on and off the field.

I think Fleury should be recognized in a similar fashion. For a time, he was the heart and soul of the Flames. He was a big personality. He was an amazing, one of a kind player and was a joy to watch. Retire his number.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #185
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theo's always been a super good guy to me whenever I talked to him. He used to golf at the course I worked at all the time and he would always stop and compliment my Flames hat/shirt, or he'd just stop and chat for a few minutes.

Retire 14.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #186
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Theo's always been a super good guy to me whenever I talked to him. He used to golf at the course I worked at all the time and he would always stop and compliment my Flames hat/shirt, or he'd just stop and chat for a few minutes.

Retire 14.

I've only met him once, but he was super nice to me as well. We chatted for a few minutes about the Flames, the '89 Cup win, hockey in general, and about his book. It was an enjoyable conversation.

Some people in this thread seem to have a real hate-on for him, but it seems like they're all just holding onto a grudge from back in the day. Sure, he was an arrogant, cocky bastard during his playing days, but that was a lifetime ago. Hell, it's been almost a decade since he made that comment about Conroy after his comeback attempt. Hard to believe people are still getting their panties in a twist about that stuff. It's not like he's Alex Burrows fer Christ sakes.

Lately the guy seems to have turned his life around for the better and is making great contributions to the community these days with his work helping victims of abuse. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes between him and the Flames, but the dude fully deserves to have his jersey retired just based on his hockey accomplishments alone.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #187
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I can’t imagine them retiring Theo during the season they (hopefully) retire 12. So this conversation is probably moo for at least one more year
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #188
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So this conversation is probably moo for at least one more year

Okay okay-don’t have a cow
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #189
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theo was the face of the Flames during his era and our allstar and Iggy was the face of the Flames in his era a superstar.
Both should and must have their numbers retired.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #190
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I've become agnostic regarding the franchise honouring Fleury. They did him a great favour when they didn't really have to by allowing him to escape the purgatory of the league's substance abuse program. He didn't respond that well granted, but maybe that's his competitive nature. Time has perhaps mellowed participants.

"Forever a Flame" recognition? Would Fleury be grateful enough for that honour? Chopper and Nieuwy were okay with that, and they were fine players.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #191
natsmt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With all due respect to Iggy, they need to retire #14 first.
If they retire 12 first that would be a huge injustice to Flames fans. Embarrassing really.
natsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #192
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lanny is retired #9
Vernon is retired #30

They need to retire MacInnis #2
They need to retire Nieuwendyk #25
They need to retire Fleury #14
They need to retire Kiprusoff #34
They need to retire Iginla #12

They need to buyout Brouwer #36
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #193
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say the Flames lift Iggy's number up, then right after that, put Fleury's number up right beside Iggy and McDonald. The 3 greatest numbers in Flames franchise history.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #194
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are closing on on 40 years in Calgary. Three players have been the face of the franchise during that time. Those are the players whose numbers you retire.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #195
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I'd say the Flames lift Iggy's number up, then right after that, put Fleury's number up right beside Iggy and McDonald. The 3 greatest numbers in Flames franchise history.
Flames don't have a championship without #30, dude.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 AM   #196
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
They don't get past the Canucks in game 7 if Vernon doesn't make some great saves off Petri Skirko, Toni Tanti and Stan Smyl in overtime.

Quote:
“The saves that he made in Round 1 were amazing. You look back, and gawd-damn it, you don’t really pay too much attention to it at the time, but he wasn’t a very big goalie, either. Then to think of the career he had and what he meant to us during those playoffs . . .

“Those three saves he made in Game 7 against Vancouver that could’ve ended it, off (Petri) Skriko, (Tony) Tanti and (Stan) Smyl, I believe . . . I still get nervous thinking about them now, 25 years later.”
Quote:
“Save your breath,” said Hakan Loob in the aftermath of the Game 7 4-3 OT gut-wencher against the Canucks at the Saddledome. “I know the question. Mike Vernon can’t do it in the playoffs, right? He chokes, right? OK, so who saved our ass in OT? Vernie He gave us the chance to win. Without him, we’re finished. Done. That reputation — one he’s never deserved — rub it out. Now.”
Quote:
On May 25th, nearly two months after he bailed his team out of jail against Vancouver, Vernon savoured a job well done. The local kid embroiled in a very complicated relationship with his hometown made good.

“Some people told me,” said Vernon with more than a bit of self-satisfaction that night, “I wasn’t a playoff goaltender. Well, I think I proved them wrong. The people of Calgary will get to savour this with us, but right now I’m kinda happy it’s just us . . . you know, together.”
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...978/story.html
Old 08-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #197
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
I don't have any issue with Vernon being up there but that does not mean 14 should not be up there either. Same with 12.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #198
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not an argument for/against the Theo discussion (or Iggy, for that matter), but just an interesting note that the Coyotes are clearly advertising this upcoming night as a jersey retirement and not an “honouring” of some kind...

https://twitter.com/arizonacoyotes/s...486540800?s=21
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote