Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #81
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Man, quite a few apologists in here. The last straw that broke the camel's back for me was this sequence of events.

"Sean Monahan doesn't hate to lose enough"

cut to garbage bag day and we find out that Monahan was playing through serious injuries and ended up having 4 surgeries at the end of the year. Basically playing with one hand for half the season.

I'm sorry, I don't give reporters a pass for getting it that wrong and defaming the character of players who leave it all out there. That's just the latest example of an entire career of this sort of stuff. I will not miss Francis in the slightest.
Yup completely unprofessional and embarrassing.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Man, quite a few apologists in here. The last straw that broke the camel's back for me was this sequence of events.

"Sean Monahan doesn't hate to lose enough"

cut to garbage bag day and we find out that Monahan was playing through serious injuries and ended up having 4 surgeries at the end of the year. Basically playing with one hand for half the season.

I'm sorry, I don't give reporters a pass for getting it that wrong and defaming the character of players who leave it all out there. That's just the latest example of an entire career of this sort of stuff. I will not miss Francis in the slightest.
Yeah that article is not flattering for him and a pretty bad way to end his career but he was catering to an angry fanbase as a lot of posters here ate that up and ran with it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #83
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or he could genuinely believe that Monahan doesn't play hard enough without the puck and doesn't play with much emotion, irrespective of his recent injuries.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #84
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Or he could genuinely believe that Monahan doesn't play hard enough without the puck and doesn't play with much emotion, irrespective of his recent injuries.
Francis' body of work doesn't lend one to believe his shock value opinions were ever genuine.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #85
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah that article is not flattering for him and a pretty bad way to end his career but he was catering to an angry fanbase as a lot of posters here ate that up and ran with it.
And that’s the problem. He’s full of it. He’s like a sports Anne Coulter. Try’s to drum up the most controversial things he can just to get attention. It’s embarrassing.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #86
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess we can put a cap on mommy-given careers at 25 years then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #87
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know its sportsnet but the flames will influence the hire hugely and if francis gets the tvhosting gig that would be just so incredibly tone deaf. But as we've all seen from the jerseys and the arena stuff, that would be right in line with how the flames have been approaching things lately. At least we are not the sens.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #88
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Heh, I love how people think this is some sort of dig or it doesn't happen in literally every industry all over the world.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know your beliefs fall inline with his article (must be a little embarrassing that you fell for it) but the fact of the matter is we know it was an opinion article. The problem is that it was an uninformed opinion as he didn't have enough information regarding Monahan's health and it makes him look like a tabloid writer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #90
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I know its sportsnet but the flames will influence the hire hugely and if francis gets the tvhosting gig that would be just so incredibly tone deaf. But as we've all seen from the jerseys and the arena stuff, that would be right in line with how the flames have been approaching things lately. At least we are not the sens.
Announced this Fall:
Eric Francis - Flames Lead Jersey Designer.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #91
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try my best to to kick people in their way out so I'll preface this with he did say some decent things ocassionaly and was willing to criticize things nobody else would.

But that said, his clickbait, shock value way of doing articles and presenting his opinion as fact got old extremely fast and was incredibly unprofessional.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #92
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Heh, I love how people think this is some sort of dig or it doesn't happen in literally every industry all over the world.
Who said nepotism was isolated to postmedia?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #93
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
People need to give that narrative a rest. No doubt his mom had a hand in getting him the job. Lots of people get internships through family connections. But Francis wouldn't have lasted 2 years in a businesses as competitive and with as much turnover as journalism, let alone 25, if he didn't do the job well.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-29-2018 at 10:40 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #94
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Not sure what you mean by the jerseys.... yes people want retro. This is not to say they are not working on it and in these cases there is always a focus group that gives input, a team can’t simply change a jersey because a fan board demands it. There are timelines that the league mandates for these things as well. Also how are they tone deaf on the arena? It seems to me they would really like a new one.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #95
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
People need to give that narrative a rest. No doubt his mom had a hand in getting him the job. Lots of people get internships through family connections. But Francis wouldn't have lasted 2 years in a businesses as competitive and with as much turnover as journalism, let alone 25, if he didn't do the job well.
The majority of which was spent working for the competition.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #96
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
But that's the point. That's what he has done his whole career. He takes the lowest fruit approach to reporting. Be antagonistic...be contrary...BE NEGATIVE. Than back pedal when things turn out differently. Anytime he came on the TV or radio, I turned the channel. Just a lazy journalist.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #97
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly...so what if family helped him get a job. I've done that for my kids and will continue to use my connections to better their lives. The self sanctimonious attitude about his issue is just ugly.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #98
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Quite possible he will not be replaced. I can see Postmedia having a single "NHL columnist" covering both Alberta teams.

I expect a lot of other long-tenured newsroom staff will be heading for the exits as well.
Well they already have Kristen Anderson (@KdotAnderson on Twitter) who describes herself as:

Calgary Flames beat reporter for Postmedia, five years and counting. Calgary Chapter chair for @PHWA. Occasionally on @NHLnetwork. kanderson@postmedia.com

I'd expect she will continue as she is young, and likely paid a lot less than EF was.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #99
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Announced this Fall:
Eric Francis - Flames Lead Jersey Designer.
Eric Francis - Flames Arena Event Centre Project Manager
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #100
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudos, Eric on a job.....done.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote