Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #41
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Care to elaborate? He looked very good with Jagr and Jankowski. The only reason that line wasn't more productive was bad luck, but they more than carried their fair share of driving play down the ice.
Very good? How many points did he score? Lots of 'almost goals' i bet.

Is Bennett the most unlucky player on the Flames roster? Lead the team is shots that missed the net if I'm remembering a Bingo post correctly. Super unlucky. The unluckiest.

Quote:
Bennett also looked good during the times when Hathaway wasn't a complete passenger.
Sure, I will 100% agree Bennett looks better when playing with NHL quality linemates.

Quote:
And when he got spot duty on Gaudreau's line as RW (but the season was already over).
He didn't look as good as Foo did, a player who, imo, has more puck skills as well.

Quote:
Let's not forget that outside of Janko, who had a four-goal game to close off the season, all of Sam's frequent linemates this season had abysmally bad SH%, even on a team that saw mostly regression in that area.
Sam had a bad shooting percentage as well. So?

Quote:
Your criticism of Bennett is also approaching ricardo/Dougie levels of bias. There's also that.
Well that's nice.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #42
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

You've had an agenda to oust Bennett from this team after his very first full season with the Flames.

With Hartley.

It's been a while man. It's getting old.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #43
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Big Bennett fan here. I remember not long ago Backlund was too fragile, too this and too that just wasn’t getting it done.

Well the pitchforks are out with the citronella torches.....and Sams getting thrown in to every trade proposal etc etc.

I’d be happy to get rid of Sam if he had no heart. Didn’t run people over , beat them up and take their lunch money.

I’d rather see Lazar, Hathaway, ____ be the guys on the way out yet here they are still.

Just tired A F reading about the horse we have kicked the #### out of over and over again.

1 preseason game and he’s ......good god I’m getting sucked in here. We need some kind of healing vortex on the forum for all the bad hearts and poor souls that just can’t take it anymore.

I’m excited beyond anything with the changes, the new faces, the PTO guys who’ll push our bubble guys in terms of creating healthy competition.

There’s not a guy on the roster that doesn’t belong here right now and I just wish certain folks could give it a rest until Christmas at least ......then I will hand out pitchforks Xmas eve and sing Xmas carols with my torch at your front door celebrating the waive or trade of Samuel L Bennett.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #44
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You've had an agenda to oust Bennett from this team after his very first full season with the Flames.

With Hartley.

It's been a while man. It's getting old.
You'd think if I was that obsessed with ousting bennett from the team that I would choose a more effective way of exerting pressure than posting on an unaffiliated message board.

Obviously, I hate Bennett.

Obviously.

Have wanted him off the team since after his very first season.

Hey, who is the author of this thread, I can't find my glasses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Mostly because I'm tired of seeing the rumours thread derailed into a multitude of derailments, let's have a discussion about 'Core' group players.

What's the definition of a 'core' group?

What are some examples of it from successful and unsuccessful team?

Let's apply those answers to the Calgary Flames. CliffFletcher is not allowed to shake his fist while mumbling to himself about how the definition of a franchise player has changed. This isn't the discussion for that, so take it elsewhere.

'Core Player' as defined by Flash Walken is a player who likely has few peers in the league, has demonstrated value specifically to the Flames Organization and who has specific characteristics that can't be easily replaced in the trade market or free agency.

Based on that, Flash Walken's core looks like this:

Gaudreau
Brodie
Bennett

Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Basically every guy who can make the NHL can do this in isolated bursts or samples. I have seen this from Bennett before. "almost" goals in a preseason game after 240 nhl games of experience isn't enough for me. They are now fleeting glimpses of skill, whereas Czarnik seems to be all about the skill, a finesse player who exudes skill.

I don't see a ton of puck skills often from Bennett, not often enough for me to believe he has untapped potential in that regard, or that he's a better fit for offensive minutes than a guy like Czarnik. For every sweet toe drag he pulls off in preseason, there are several unsuccessful in the regular season. He doesn't make it look easy.

Taking passes, skating with his head up without falling down, making minor adjustments, those are things I don't see from bennett and I didn't see them in the only preseason game this year.

I don't think there's some huge gulf between Czarnik and Bennett, I think they are both relatively borderline NHLers at this point, but in terms of offensive potential and where they can fit into a lineup, I think Czarnik has the better ability and potential to further develop offensively.

From what I've seen, Bennett struggles playing a skill game with skilled players. From what I've seen, Czarnik doesn't struggle to play a skilled game with skilled players. For me, it's as simple as that.
You've concluded this after 1 game?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #46
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does that one post magically erase the countless arguments you make with the ire focused towards Bennett? No.

Why have you drawn the ricardo comparison?

It's the stuff like you comparing him to a hobey baker finalist two years his elder, having posters remind you that its too soon and he's still not old enough to drink in the US, insisting he doesn't have high end skills (in this thread).. the kind of lazy, agenda-driven arguments with holes in them that are evident even under minor scrutiny.

Scoff all you want - public perception is telling enough.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #47
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Does that one post magically erase the countless arguments you make with the ire focused towards Bennett? No.

Why have you drawn the ricardo comparison?

It's the stuff like you comparing him to a hobey baker finalist two years his elder, having posters remind you that its too soon and he's still not old enough to drink in the US, insisting he doesn't have high end skills (in this thread).. the kind of lazy, agenda-driven arguments with holes in them that are evident even under minor scrutiny.

Scoff all you want - public perception is telling enough.
I'm sorry I haven't been sufficiently upbeat comrade.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #48
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You've concluded this after 1 game?
And some sweet YouTube clips i watched this summer
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #49
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Bennett the most unlucky player on the Flames roster? Lead the team is shots that missed the net if I'm remembering a Bingo post correctly. Super unlucky. The unluckiest.
Hmm.

Player A scored 36 goals on 505 shot attempts (7.13%)
Player B scored 11 goals on 293 shot attempts (3.79%)

If Player B had scored at the same rate as Player A, Player B would have scored 21 goals.

Correct - Player B is Sam Bennett from last season.
Player A, is also Sam Bennett, prior to last season.

So yeah, there's reason to think that, if nothing else, last season's Sam Bennett was a different Sam Bennett from prior seasons in terms of converting chances, which has at least a little to do with luck, and jut assuming last season's Sam Bennett is this season's Sam Bennett or Sam Bennett's future career is premature and irresponsibly so.

I'm not sure why I'm even engaging you, though. You're this kid's version of Where ru Chris O'Sullivan.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-17-2018 at 05:53 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Hmm.

Player A scored 36 goals on 505 shot attempts (7.13%)
Player B scored 11 goals on 293 shot attempts (3.79%)

If Player B had scored at the same rate as Player A, Player B would have scored 21 goals.

Correct - Player B is Sam Bennett from last season.
Player A, is also Sam Bennett, prior to last season.

So yeah, there's reason to think that, if nothing else, last season's Sam Bennett was a different Sam Bennett from prior seasons in terms of converting chances, which has at least a little to do with luck, and jut assuming last season's Sam Bennett is this season's Sam Bennett or Sam Bennett's future career is premature and irresponsibly so.

I'm not sure why I'm even engaging you, though. You're this kid's version of Where ru Chris O'Sullivan.
I agree with this.

I don't know what Sam Bennett will be when this argument is finally put to rest in a season or three, but last year was a turning point that wasn't jumping off the page if you weren't looking for it.

It's coming.

This is from the Athletic this week (Dom Lucasdfadsfjasdkfj)
Quote:
Bennett really struggled at the start of last season, but came into his own once he was put on a line with Jankowski. He posted a respectable 1.88 points-per-60 next to Jankowski last season and was at an ugly 0.73 otherwise. Similarly, Jankowski jumped from 0.77 to 1.41 with Bennett. Having to play with the other bottom six options when apart likely contributed to that. The two are still very young at 22 (Bennett) and 24 (Jankowski) meaning some internal growth could help a lot.
And Flash ... I'm not saying Czarnik didn't look good in his first preseason game, nor am I all that interested in comparing the two.

I just found some of the comments (not just yours) about Bennett from that game odd, and a bit like minds made up without watching. Not many fourth liners create three blue chip chances in a game, yet it was pretty much ignored by the anti-Bennett group.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote