Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #521
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Yes, that's it. I wasn't happy at all but I got grief for saying it because he was sticking up for his teammate.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #522
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yes, that's it. I wasn't happy at all but I got grief for saying it because he was sticking up for his teammate.

The fact that we can count on one finger how many times he stuck up for a teammate speaks volumes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #523
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So Brouwer would stick up for a teammate who can handle himself but not for Johnny. Also his timing stunk.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #524
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The fact that we can count on one finger how many times he stuck up for a teammate speaks volumes.
That's just one time that sticks out for me. I never said that was the only time.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #525
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really it's probably not Brouwer's fault that Treliving thought he was someone that he wasn't. I don't know if we should be going all Oilers fan and sewer the guy because he couldn't live up to a contract he never deserved in the first place but would have been a fool not to accept. This is all on Treliving at the end of the day not Brouwer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #526
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe a little off topic but as there is really no deterrent to guys hacking skilled guys hands, how about any slash to the hands or arms are a double minor or a major penalty?
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #527
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Maybe a little off topic but as there is really no deterrent to guys hacking skilled guys hands, how about any slash to the hands or arms are a double minor or a major penalty?
How about the referees call the goddam rule first? It doesn't matter how big the penalty is if they never blow the whistle.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #528
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really it's probably not Brouwer's fault that Treliving thought he was someone that he wasn't. I don't know if we should be going all Oilers fan and sewer the guy because he couldn't live up to a contract he never deserved in the first place but would have been a fool not to accept. This is all on Treliving at the end of the day not Brouwer.
You’re on fire today.

Zetterberg is a faker

GG and Brouwer are mistreated heroes.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #529
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You’re on fire today.

Zetterberg is a faker

GG and Brouwer are mistreated heroes.
Never said Zetterberg is a faker.

Never said GG and Brouwer are mistreated heroes.

Dumb post.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #530
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ya, no. Brouwer still signed the contract. By all reports he didn't live up to any part of it including the leadership aspect. Sure if he doesn't get the points but still provides the leadership you can say he didn't fully live up to the full cap hit but at least he would have contributed.

Treliving paid too much but that happens in free agency. Brouwer still signed the contract and he should bear the brunt of the criticism. Well him and GG for misusing him.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #531
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Ya, no. Brouwer still signed the contract. By all reports he didn't live up to any part of it including the leadership aspect. Sure if he doesn't get the points but still provides the leadership you can say he didn't fully live up to the full cap hit but at least he would have contributed.

Treliving paid too much but that happens in free agency. Brouwer still signed the contract and he should bear the brunt of the criticism. Well him and GG for misusing him.
I have to agree. The player Treliving signed is not the player that Brouwer showed up as.

If you look at Brouwer's career his two years here were an anomaly, but thats what you get signing veterans as UFAs, hes on the tail-end of his career.

At the end of the day Troy Brouwer did not meet the expectations of his contract and as such was bought out. He got paid, I dont think Brouwer can have any complaints other than perhaps the coach misusing him, but he was misused in such a fashion that he was given every opportunity to produce but didnt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #532
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
How about the referees call the goddam rule first? It doesn't matter how big the penalty is if they never blow the whistle.
Remember at the beginning of the season when they actually were, then the media thinking they were speaking for the fans, complained and pretty quickly the referees went back to the same old same old?

It's like they thought there wouldn't be an adjustment period where penalties would rise in the short-term until the players learned and the actual infractions started to decline.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #533
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have to agree. The player Treliving signed is not the player that Brouwer showed up as.

If you look at Brouwer's career his two years here were an anomaly, but thats what you get signing veterans as UFAs, hes on the tail-end of his career.

At the end of the day Troy Brouwer did not meet the expectations of his contract and as such was bought out. He got paid, I dont think Brouwer can have any complaints other than perhaps the coach misusing him, but he was misused in such a fashion that he was given every opportunity to produce but didnt.
I think the Brouwer the Flames got was what he is. I'm surprised today that some fans think he's capable of more. I mean how can you force a guy that isn't a leader to be a leader? Also where did this legend of him ever being a leader come from? Just because Treliving thought he could be a leader doesn't mean he had it in him. The team was so desperate for leadership they gave him an 'A' on day one for crying out loud. The guy is a fringe NHL player at this stage of his career.

It's like blaming Lucic for the fact that he can no longer keep pace with NHL skaters. He can't help he's lost a step and it was the GM's mistake to assume a guy that already wasn't fleet of foot wouldn't lose a step or two over the duration of that contract.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-27-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #534
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dhiren Mahiban@dcmahiban

#FlaPanthers have signed Troy Brouwer to a one-year, one-way contract.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #535
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like he's signed a 1 year - 1 way deal with the Panthers.

Not that surprising that Tallon would give him a chance based on their history.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #536
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Did not see that one coming.

Edit - Good point on the Tallon connection SM18
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #537
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Looks like he's signed a 1 year - 1 way deal with the Panthers.
Dale Tallon strikes again! That said I imagine he's not getting a lot of money seeing it's a one year deal.