Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #4781
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I think the next generation will see a lot more digital-only games, but we're not ready to abandon them just yet imo. There's too many people that are militant about discs. Remember when Microsoft wanted the Xbox One to be online only and they basically lost the entire generation over it? I think it would be like that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #4782
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer discs for my PS4.

Then again, 100% of my PC games are downloaded, so I guess I'm just odd.

Also - is it worth having an aftermarket cooling fan on the PS4? I have a non-air-conditioned house in Calgary.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #4783
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Then again, 100% of my PC games are downloaded, so I guess I'm just odd.
I'm the same way but I think that has to do with cost.

I used to buy physical copies of PC games but with Steam it just made more sense financially to go digital. I refuse to spend $80 on a game and physical copies seem to take forever to go on sale so I just ended up buying digital.

With console games it's the opposite. With E3 sales I can pre-order games for $50 while digital copies take a while to go on sale. I also like having a physical collection of all of my favorite games that I plan to keep forever. I still do buy digital copies of games but it's games that are super cheap and I really don't care to have part of my physical collection.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #4784
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm the same way but I think that has to do with cost.

I used to buy physical copies of PC games but with Steam it just made more sense financially to go digital. I refuse to spend $80 on a game and physical copies seem to take forever to go on sale so I just ended up buying digital.

With console games it's the opposite. With E3 sales I can pre-order games for $50 while digital copies take a while to go on sale. I also like having a physical collection of all of my favorite games that I plan to keep forever. I still do buy digital copies of games but it's games that are super cheap and I really don't care to have part of my physical collection.
The other factor is that even if you buy a new PC, Steam games could still run on that PC. If you go from PS3 to PS4, your digital games are useless, but you could sell/exchange hard copy games.

That is why I opt for physical more often for console - when I upgrade and sell my console, I own games that I can sell, or I can sell/exchange games I don't play anymore. I only go digital for games where the sale is a deep discount or i figure it has no real sell-on value

I am OK with moving away from physical media on consoles, provided that the "console generation" also becomes a thing of the past. Make new games gated to the new console, the same way an old PC cannot run new games, but allow me once I upgrade to continue to play from my collection
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #4785
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sales are the biggest thing for me. Games on Steam and Origin and whatnot go on sale often. There seems to be very few sales on the PS store and when there is they're pretty lackluster.

I haven't had a PC with a disc drive in at least 5 years, yet still prefer discs for the playstation
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #4786
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t bought a physical disk since launch and I’d be happy not to have a disc tray. I just have no legitimate reason to add physical items when I can store them digitally.

I understand those who say that they do, but I just have so many records, cds, and games in boxes that the physical copies are dust collectors and require space to store them.

Even better would be a discount on the hardware, and even a nominal discount on the software to acknowledge the lack of production and distribution of a physical copy. I’m dreaming I know.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #4787
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridonkulous. PS4 will easily pass 100 million and pass the Wii as well.

Apparently on pace to overtake even the PS2.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/rel...19/190108.html

PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 91.6 million units globally as of December 31, 2018.

Marvel’s Spider-Man, launched in September 2018, has cumulatively sold through more than 9 million copies worldwide as of November 25, 2018.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #4788
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There's no chance it overtakes the PS2. If only because PS5 possibly drops in the fall.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #4789
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

There's still plenty of gas left in that tank, but no, it won't eclipse PS2. However, one thing they have now that they didn't have then is about 34 million people spending about $5/month on a PS+ membership (https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ribers-global/).

Can you imagine pulling in about $170,000,000... per month? I'm not sure what they take off each game sold, but Spider-Man is now their most successful first-party title of all time and i'm thinking it might have made about that. And they do it every month.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #4790
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
There's no chance it overtakes the PS2. If only because PS5 possibly drops in the fall.
PS5 might be officially announced this year but wouldn't come out until 2020 at the earliest. I don't think it will catch PS2 either.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #4791
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminds me of one of the best memes from this generation.

https://kotaku.com/massive-lines-in-...n-4-1832045873

This week, PlayStation Korea rolled out price cuts for the PS4 and PS4 Pro for a limited time only. Folks have lined up in droves.

The PlayStation 4 launched in South Korea on December 17, 2013.

The PS4 Pro is originally 498,000 South Korean Won ($444), but it’s marked down to 348,000 KRW ($311), while the 378,000 KRW ($337) PlayStation 4 is 248,000 KRW ($221). The PSVR is also on sale, priced at 298,000 KRW ($266) from 448,000 KRW ($400).

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #4792
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

My friend bought his kid a Switch for his Birthday, but the spoiled brat wanted a PS4 Pro instead. So I'm offered his kid's opened Switch at a nice discount ($250)

I'm a luke warm Nintendo fan, only having last played the N64. I only know of Breath of the wild and Mario Odyssey as good games.

Should I go for it? Has the Switch gone stale? Are any of you regretting buying the Switch? Is there any chance Star Fox and better games are coming out for it?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #4793
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a big Nintendo fan so some slight bias, but as someone who wasn’t too hot on the Wii product line, Switch is a return to form and maybe their best device ever. Just a really cool, slick device with the portability, multiplayer, and controller options. And there’s lots and lots of great games — I would add Smash Bros. Ultimate as the third headliner with Odyssey and BotW. Mario Kart 8 is the best in the series, and I can presume you missed it on Wii U so that’s a must play too.

Lots of momentum going in to the fall with games across a wide variety of interests. Mario Maker and Fire Emblem just came out to solid reviews. Astral Chain, Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Luigi’s Mansion 3, And Pokemon are the big hitters for the rest of the year. Lots of continued third party and indie support. Some big announced games for 2020 and beyond are Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4, And Bayonetta 3 (with many many more to come). There’s always a chance for Star Fox... it hasn’t seen much critical or commercial success in the last 20 years but they keep taking a whack at t every few years.

It’s my favorite system right now and might end up my favorite Nintendo system ever.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #4794
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking as someone with two small kids the switch is the best system I've ever had... The ability to go portable at any moment is fantastic and allows me to get some gaming in between diapers, feeding, naps etc
I_H8_Crawford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #4795
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kids never took to Nintendo after handhelds. I’m too old so we have just bypassed their consoles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #4796
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmm...

So I have a 6 and 4 year old. What would be the best investment as far as a gaming console for kids this generation??

I got the old NES was i was 7 or so... perhaps I'm not as far off on getting them a console.

Is Nintendo switch where it's at? I was hoping to just get one of those NES mini systems that came out, so they could play the same games I did growing up. But I'm wondering if that's more nostalgia on my part, and not something they'd really get into.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #4797
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
hmm...

So I have a 6 and 4 year old. What would be the best investment as far as a gaming console for kids this generation??

I got the old NES was i was 7 or so... perhaps I'm not as far off on getting them a console.

Is Nintendo switch where it's at? I was hoping to just get one of those NES mini systems that came out, so they could play the same games I did growing up. But I'm wondering if that's more nostalgia on my part, and not something they'd really get into.
I'd say the Switch for sure. My oldest is 4 and he's been playing it quite a lot recently, it's nice that they can play it as a handheld and get more expansive games than on the iPad. I also have the SNES Classic and find that the games don't hold his attention very long when he has Mario Odyssey available.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #4798
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
My friend bought his kid a Switch for his Birthday, but the spoiled brat wanted a PS4 Pro instead. So I'm offered his kid's opened Switch at a nice discount ($250)

I'm a luke warm Nintendo fan, only having last played the N64. I only know of Breath of the wild and Mario Odyssey as good games.

Should I go for it? Has the Switch gone stale? Are any of you regretting buying the Switch? Is there any chance Star Fox and better games are coming out for it?
Depends entirely on what types of games you like to play, tbqh. For myself, I've probably played about 25 hours of Switch for every hour of PS4 over the last year or so. Though that will equalize a bit when Trails of Cold Steel III and FFVII remake come out.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #4799
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
hmm...

Nintendo switch is awesome for families. All five of us can play mario kart, mario party, marvel alliance, new super mario, etc. And when the older ones want to play some single player stuff they gravitate towards zelda, mario v. rabbids, minecraft, etc. Plus there are lots of fun indy games to download and try out.

It's also very versatile so you can take it on road trips and they can play two player in the back seat and charge at the hotel. It was a big hit at a hockey tourney last year when hooked up to the TV in the room.

And similarly to Resolute, I find myself playing it a lot more than my PlayStation lately. It's really a great system.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #4800
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t have kids but my Switch is probably my favourite console I own. Absolutely do not regret that purchase and there’s lots of great games on the horizon. If you can get that thing at that price it’s more than worth it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post: