Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #3061
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Why didn’t they bring Pickford up for the last free kick? You’re already down a guy, that extra body may have helped
I was screaming at the TV...it was also past stoppage time

absolutely nothing to lose
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #3062
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Why didn’t they bring Pickford up for the last free kick? You’re already down a guy, that extra body may have helped
He didnt want to mess up his hair! Hes got to try and pick up birds at the local Russian places, its a tough world out there!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #3063
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, fair enough. But tournament play typically follows a normal bell curve and you want to hit that peak right at the opportune moment.

Croatia destroyed Argentina, but havent shown the same flow or flair since.

I'm pulling for Croatia, but it still seems as though they're running out of gas.
To be fair France hasn’t been the same since they played Argentina either. Stupidly easy to exploit their backline made both teams look pretty clinical when similar plays would work as well or as often against any other QF team.

The Argentina games were the outliers for both teams’ offenses.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #3064
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing was that on all these English Sportscasters were having such a dilemma yesterday about what to watch on Sunday. England in the final or Federer vs Nadal at Wimbledon.
They can all go watch cricket now! hahah
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #3065
Sgrath
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Watching the semi's I get the feeling we are starting to see the real benefit of VAR. The good refs are able to ignore it when players go down easy in a tackle etc. trusting that VAR will have their back if they miss something outrageous. And as much as it could be argued that technically England could have been awarded a penalty I think they should be awarded for the much more blatant fouls.

On that note, if the ref does 'let them play' I think the French team could implode from a discipline perspective.
Sgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #3066
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great tournament from England. People will find ways to pick apart the team, say they had an easy draw etc but that's just England pundits being England pundits.
It stings today, but the team should be proud of this tournament and build on it for the Euros.

One area that needs the most improvement is controlling midfield. Once Henderson was off, that area was dominated by Croatia.
And I don't even like Henderson.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #3067
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrath View Post
Watching the semi's I get the feeling we are starting to see the real benefit of VAR. The good refs are able to ignore it when players go down easy in a tackle etc. trusting that VAR will have their back if they miss something outrageous.
Outside the box, VAR would only come into play like that if the ref mistakes a straight red for a dive.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #3068
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrath View Post
Watching the semi's I get the feeling we are starting to see the real benefit of VAR. The good refs are able to ignore it when players go down easy in a tackle etc. trusting that VAR will have their back if they miss something outrageous. And as much as it could be argued that technically England could have been awarded a penalty I think they should be awarded for the much more blatant fouls.

On that note, if the ref does 'let them play' I think the French team could implode from a discipline perspective.
I think the game we just saw shows the failings of VAR perfectly. Sterling got steppped on clearly, in the box. The ref missed it and ignored it. That’s exactly what VAR is supposed to correct. It was a clear penalty, and really impossible to question. It’s that kind of error they’re trying to fix, and it wasn’t consulted.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #3069
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Great tournament from England. People will find ways to pick apart the team, say they had an easy draw etc but that's just England pundits being England pundits.
It stings today, but the team should be proud of this tournament and build on it for the Euros.

One area that needs the most improvement is controlling midfield. Once Henderson was off, that area was dominated by Croatia.
And I don't even like Henderson.
I think they need someone in the midfield who can create as well. That would allow Kane to get forward and he is far better there than playing so deep.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #3070
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think they need someone in the midfield who can create as well. That would allow Kane to get forward and he is far better there than playing so deep.

Hoddle's getting a bit past his prime though
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #3071
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

England fans gotta hope Stockport Iniesta is the real deal.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #3072
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

A country of 4m in the final. That is amazing. I will be wearing my Hadjuk Split shirt on Sunday.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #3073
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I think they were underwhelming against Denmark, fully agree. Even first 30 mins of this game, but then they took over and had plenty of attractive chances and outclassed England. When I think of Portugal in the Euros I think more anti football and relying on one player to score penalties and set pieces.
Portugal scored off two corners in their seven matches at Euro 16. The rest from open play. Ronaldo only scored 3 of their 9 goals, none of them penalties.

Try again.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #3074
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Portugal scored off two corners in their seven matches at Euro 16. The rest from open play. Ronaldo only scored 3 of their 9 goals, none of them penalties.

Try again.
I'm not trying anything, I'm simply parroting the line I've read on CP from multiple users that Portugal won the euros with "anti football"
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #3075
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ummm no. You were presenting it as your own thoughts.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #3076
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I'm not trying anything, I'm simply parroting the line I've read on CP from multiple users that Portugal won the euros with "anti football"
That Anti football line is fine and holds merit. Portugal played a boring style for most of that tournament. Got them a title though.

Your stance on them relying on one player and set pieces is factually incorrect.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #3077
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Ummm no. You were presenting it as your own thoughts.
So then let me clarify. I don't have any particular thoughts on how Portugal won 2 years ago other than I didn't care for CR winning. I have read here from several posters how they viewed Portugal winning as 'anti football'. I didn't bring up Portugal, another poster did, and I replied with that as my "opinion on Portugal".
Old 07-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #3078
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

saw this on FB and lol'd
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #3079
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at work all day but wow what a tournament by Croatia, a very mentally strong team. England will never get a path to the final that easy again, huge missed opportunity for them. I thought Harry Kane, Lingard, and Ali became very ineffective once Croatia settled down and had very mediacore performances in the knockout round. Tough pill to swallow. England seem to consistently fold under pressure, I see similar traits to how they respond with adversity to how the last few generations of Brazilians have as well. So much pressure put on these guys from the media and when they start feeling it the system breaks down. One shot on target in 120 minutes is just really bad and given the talent on the team it’s inexusable.

Edit: Also, Modric for Ballon D’or. No one deserves it more

Last edited by Beninho; 07-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #3080
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Was at work all day but wow what a tournament by Croatia, a very mentally strong team. England will never get a path to the final that easy again, huge missed opportunity for them. I thought Harry Kane, Lingard, and Ali became very ineffective once Croatia settled down and had very mediacore performances in the knockout round. Tough pill to swallow. England seem to consistently fold under pressure, I see similar traits to how they respond with adversity to how the last few generations of Brazilians have as well. So much pressure put on these guys from the media and when they start feeling it the system breaks down. One shot on target in 120 minutes is just really bad and given the talent on the team it’s inexusable.

Edit: Also, Modric for Ballon D’or. No one deserves it more
If it wasnt for Penalties they'd never have gotten this far.

Their path to the final was a gift, but as soon as it got hard they stumbled in typical England fashion.

I thought it was interesting that the commentators were lamenting England's exhaustion to get to this point and how hard they worked and the minutes and etc, etc.

Despite the fact that Croatia played longer games and more minutes. But no, the English were hard done by because they got the easiest path to the finals in decades.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good