Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
icon57 The 2018/19 All-Inclusive Media Flames Predictions Thread

Flames make playoffs, challenge for Pacific Division title.

So says Matt Larkin of the Hockey News

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...o-could-get-in

A couple of caveats from me: How well all the new pieces mesh, and how much of a distraction the China trip could be.

Overall though, a lot to be optimistic about.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 07-26-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: All-inclusive
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good write up. I disagree that the Flames have improved their roster the most, I think you have to give that to the Leafs. Adding Tavares is pretty tough to match.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also picks the Panthers to make the playoffs. I like this guy.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I was starting to get a little optimistic before Neal, but that signing filled a HUGE need. I could definitely see a great season ahead with Gulutzen's restrictive, robotic system gone and some great new players added.

So many forwards got pushed down to their appropriate spot in the line-up this summer.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Good write up. I disagree that the Flames have improved their roster the most, I think you have to give that to the Leafs. Adding Tavares is pretty tough to match.
I think when you factor in the subtraction of Gulutzan and his staff, the Flames had the best off-season.

Tavares' addition is huge, but getting rid of the worst coaching group in the NHL combined with the roster turnover puts the Flames ahead...but we'll see.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Dang always better to be the underdog and have that us against the world mentality
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

China trip actually might great for team bonding for all the new players.
atb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think when you factor in the subtraction of Gulutzan and his staff, the Flames had the best off-season.

Tavares' addition is huge, but getting rid of the worst coaching group in the NHL combined with the roster turnover puts the Flames ahead...but we'll see.
TO also removed 35-goals from their lineup with the loss of van Riemsdyk. Swapping out him for Tavares is still an upgrade, but it's not as significant were it just the addition of Tavares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
They've also lost JVR and Bozak. That most certainly takes a toll in their middle 6.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
They've also lost JVR and Bozak. That most certainly takes a toll in their middle 6.
Wishful thinking but wouldn’t it be great if the Leafs missed those two and Komarov more than expected and miss the playoffs? Those 3 pretty decent players to subtract.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Wishful thinking but wouldn’t it be great if the Leafs missed those two and Komarov more than expected and miss the playoffs? Those 3 pretty decent players to subtract.
Don't get me wrong, getting Tavares is a huge win. But, teams with depth usually do a lot better in the playoffs. The only team that could probably get away with that is the Penguins. Maybe Toronto can too, we'll just have to see.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really down on the team after the Hamilton trade (and I still don’t like the trade), but I think Treliving really hit a grand slam in free agency. I’m optimistic.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Timbit said it in another thread but he nailed it. This will be a playoff team but the difference between getting there and doing anything when you’re there are the young impact players and rookies. Can Valimaki make the jump? Can Bennett not be terrible and give a consistent effort? If so, they’ll be great. If not, dunno. We also need Rittich to take more starts and give Smith a break.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #14
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Dang always better to be the underdog and have that us against the world mentality
So, then upsize your underdog. Underdogs to go far in the playoffs.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Begone expectations! You haven't worked for me yet!
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol, I can already see it happening. The flames will score 25+ more goals next year than last and the popular refrain will be about coaching, not the 4(!) Forwards the team acquired in the first 48 hours of free agency.

IT WAS ALL COACHING GUYS!

Too funny. Give GG last year's team with Lindholm and Neal and watch the flames play into the second round and beyond.

Expectations are deservedly high, Treliving has hugely improved this roster so far this off-season.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #17
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh I dont trust predictions
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lol, I can already see it happening. The flames will score 25+ more goals next year than last and the popular refrain will be about coaching, not the 4(!) Forwards the team acquired in the first 48 hours of free agency.

IT WAS ALL COACHING GUYS!

Too funny. Give GG last year's team with Lindholm and Neal and watch the flames play into the second round and beyond.

Expectations are deservedly high, Treliving has hugely improved this roster so far this off-season.
You can't seriously look at the last two seasons and not consider coaching to be at least ONE of the issues with this team. You've been banging the drum about not enough skill at forward, and obviously the GM agreed with you. He also evaluated the coaching to be less than satisfactory and fired the entire group. If he evaluated one area to be deficient, surely he understood the other to be deficient equally as well, yes?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You can't seriously look at the last two seasons and not consider coaching to be at least ONE of the issues with this team. You've been banging the drum about not enough skill at forward, and obviously the GM agreed with you. He also evaluated the coaching to be less than satisfactory and fired the entire group. If he evaluated one area to be deficient, surely he understood the other to be deficient equally as well, yes?
IMO GG was an adequate coach.

GG was adequate. The roster assembled for him was not adequate. You put an adequate coach with an adequate roster and you get first and second round playoff appearances.

Last year the Flames were an inadequate roster with an adequate coach. They've since updated the roster significantly and hopefully the coaching as well.

I think interpersonal dynamics play a bigger role in whether a coach stays or goes than say, wins and losses, and I don't think those dynamics within the organization were right.

I don't think Flames management liked GG much outside of Tre, he certainly did not seem to receive a ton of backing from the team.

One hopes the Flames upgraded their coaching staff but until the games are played that's really all it is. It's not like the Flames brought in Toe Blake here, just another guy from a losing organization with a recent history of coaching a team that didn't perform up to playoff calibre. I'm not going to write him off, he seems like a talented coach. Hopefully this year the roster is tuned finely enough that he'll have some success that eluded him during his tenure in Carolina, buuuuut:

If the team falters next year it will be difficult to blame it on the roster the way things stand now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #20
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
IMO GG was an adequate coach.

GG was adequate. The roster assembled for him was not adequate. You put an adequate coach with an adequate roster and you get first and second round playoff appearances.

Last year the Flames were an inadequate roster with an adequate coach. They've since updated the roster significantly and hopefully the coaching as well.

I think interpersonal dynamics play a bigger role in whether a coach stays or goes than say, wins and losses, and I don't think those dynamics within the organization were right.

I don't think Flames management liked GG much outside of Tre, he certainly did not seem to receive a ton of backing from the team.

One hopes the Flames upgraded their coaching staff but until the games are played that's really all it is. It's not like the Flames brought in Toe Blake here, just another guy from a losing organization with a recent history of coaching a team that didn't perform up to playoff calibre. I'm not going to write him off, he seems like a talented coach. Hopefully this year the roster is tuned finely enough that he'll have some success that eluded him during his tenure in Carolina, buuuuut:

If the team falters next year it will be difficult to blame it on the roster the way things stand now.
I think you have it the other way around.

The roster was adequate. It was a passable team that SHOULD have been in the playoff mix right until the last day of the year.

The coaching staff didn't get enough out of the roster, especially when the games mattered.

Or maybe we're both wrong and both the roster and coaching staff were adequate, but being merely adequate doesn't get you to the dance. My junior high days told me as much.