Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #3781
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don’t see how iggy wanting to play would be pathetic.

He prob does have it left in him and lrobabaly wants to make a few extra bucks
Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #3782
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
At the start of the new year ~ if a team was willing to take on Versteeg and Iggy was still looking I would trade Steeger for a pick as I feel Iggy is a better fit for the 4th line role than Versteeg.

Trade Versteeg for a 3rd round pick

Sign Iginla 1 year x 1 mill
No thanks.

Let's look at their numbers from last year as a comparison sake:

Versteeg: 69 GP - 15 goals - 22 Assists - 37 points -3
Iginla: 80 GP - 14 goals - 13 Assists - 27 points -30

It's ridiculous to suggest trading a guy whose skilled and can play up and down your line up on a team friendly contract, for a guy who has yet to play this year /coming off injury just to fit your 4th line. A guy that no one wants much less, Iginla has nothing but trended downwards in the last 5 seasons. He would play 8 minutes a night, and the only thing he brings is an okay shot on the PP. Nothing more. Versteeg is also 31 years old, vs Iginla at 40. The team needs to get faster, not add another guy in his 40s to boat anchor us. Besides we already have Brouwer for that. When Versteegs contact is up this year, along with Stajan. I would fill that 4th line with youth from Stockton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #3783
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I don’t see how iggy wanting to play would be pathetic.

He prob does have it left in him and lrobabaly wants to make a few extra bucks
It's likely all about wanting to keep playing hockey because that's what the best typically want, it's wired in them. The money? Not likely at all, he's beyond rich and the contract he's likely to sign would be peanuts to him.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #3784
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think if Iginla wanted to make a return to Calgary it would have happened before the season started. I have zero proof other than a feeling BT touched base with his camp and was told there was still no interest from Iginla to return.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #3785
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I still think if Iginla wanted to make a return to Calgary it would have happened before the season started. I have zero proof other than a feeling BT touched base with his camp and was told there was still no interest from Iginla to return.
I also believe this is th case
Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #3786
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you replace Brouwer with Iginla?

I do that the second it's possible.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #3787
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Would you replace Brouwer with Iginla?

I do that the second it's possible.
No. Brouwer has been somewhat decent this year. Not worth what he is paid but he has gone to the net and more important he can skate. Now would I take Iggy and dump Brouwer cap wise? Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #3788
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No. Brouwer has been somewhat decent this year. Not worth what he is paid but he has gone to the net and more important he can skate.
Wait, despite his scenario not actually being possible, you wouldn't take that? Brouwer is $4.5mil a year, long term and looking to be a good fourth liner. You cannot build a championship team that way.

If you could replace Brouwer with Iginla at $1mil for one season I'd do that so ****in fast.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #3789
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wait, despite his scenario not actually being possible, you wouldn't take that? Brouwer is $4.5mil a year, long term and looking to be a good fourth liner. You cannot build a championship team that way.

If you could replace Brouwer with Iginla at $1mil for one season I'd do that so ****in fast.
I think I edited at the same time you were posting. Agreed
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #3790
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's just it with Brouwer.

He's appropriate for his 4th line role at $1,000,000 per season.

At $1.5.....perhaps.
$2.0. overpaid.
$4.5 well, we've been down that road before.

I am more convinced that Iginla can outperform Brouwer anyways but recognize there is a debate. that Iginla would come at 1/4 the price? Sign me up.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #3791
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Iginla replacing Brouwer on the PK? Doesn't seem likely.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #3792
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Back the claim up, u got th thanks now go find the proof.

Making noise up for up votes;the inter webs must be ur dopamine.

It’s sad and pathetic when people have to reach for their imaginations for their internet brownies.

Please again, show where I cheered the oilers post elimination.

Only on cp were middle aged white males can go kna bully tirade and it be ok.
Quote:
A tongue in cheek comment after getting swept in the playoffs is not getting exposed big guy.

I’m ok with letting it go now tho.

—————

On topic I don’t c how iffy helps right now.
As a proud black woman.. I'm offended by your identity politics... As a person who loves ellipses can you learn to spell..?

On topic.. Who is iffy?
Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #3793
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Agreed. Hathaway would have every right to be pissed at the organization as well and would likely GTFO at the first chance. Others may follow suit.
The organization shouldn't cater to guys like Hathaway...he will be lucky to play in the league as a 4th regular at some point. If they think a guy can help them win go get him. Personally I have major doubts about Iggy being useful at all considering he hasn't played in months.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #3794
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
As a proud black woman.. I'm offended by your identity politics... As a person who loves ellipses can you learn to spell..?

On topic.. Who is iffy?
Every post comes off as someone just yelling at their computer screen. Just re-read one... one time.... before posting, please.

Last edited by TheFlamesVan; 11-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #3795
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Every post comes off as someone just yelling at their computer screen. Just re-read one... one time.... before posting, please.
This..!! Would be yelling!!! Exclamation point!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #3796
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't mind Iggy going somewhere soon to work with a young team like Jagr is here.

Just a 1 year deal, because I'd love for the 'veteran amongst the kids' next year to be Iggy if Jagr decides he's calling it.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #3797
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping for an Iginla signing this off-season, and felt that the Flames had both the room and the need/fit. Since then, they have signed Jagr and Glass. Jankowski is fitting in well (and I expect will start producing). Glass was signed (and now demoted). Versteeg got bumped to the 4th line to join Brouwer and what I expect will be a revolving door of Stajan and Lazar.

The bottom 6 haven't put up anywhere close on the stat sheet that is expected of them, and I would argue that Iginla could very well come in and help to fix that, along with providing toughness. However, it is simply too crowded now. Jankowski is here to stay. I never thought Mangiapane would really pan out, but here we are with him being 3rd in the league with 19 points in 13 games, followed closely with Hathaway in 7th with 16 points in 13 games. If that isn't pushing for a call-up, I don't know what is.

I was very critical of Hathaway in particular through camp as he didn't do a thing to stand out and make it hard to send him down. He must have gone down with both a good attitude about it (didn't pout), but also with that proverbial chip on his shoulder to prove the organziation wrong.

I love Iginla, and I wanted to see him as a Flame this season somewhere in the bottom 6, but this team is now too crowded for him. I do think he has some life left and that he has the ability to contribute positively to a team needing toughness and depth scoring, and definitely a team that needs a RHS on the PP, but Calgary is probably not that team any longer.

As long as he doesn't sign in Edmonton, I hope for the best for him and will follow how he is doing.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #3798
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I was hoping for an Iginla signing this off-season, and felt that the Flames had both the room and the need/fit. Since then, they have signed Jagr and Glass. Jankowski is fitting in well (and I expect will start producing). Glass was signed (and now demoted). Versteeg got bumped to the 4th line to join Brouwer and what I expect will be a revolving door of Stajan and Lazar.

The bottom 6 haven't put up anywhere close on the stat sheet that is expected of them, and I would argue that Iginla could very well come in and help to fix that, along with providing toughness. However, it is simply too crowded now. Jankowski is here to stay. I never thought Mangiapane would really pan out, but here we are with him being 3rd in the league with 19 points in 13 games, followed closely with Hathaway in 7th with 16 points in 13 games. If that isn't pushing for a call-up, I don't know what is.

I was very critical of Hathaway in particular through camp as he didn't do a thing to stand out and make it hard to send him down. He must have gone down with both a good attitude about it (didn't pout), but also with that proverbial chip on his shoulder to prove the organziation wrong.

I love Iginla, and I wanted to see him as a Flame this season somewhere in the bottom 6, but this team is now too crowded for him. I do think he has some life left and that he has the ability to contribute positively to a team needing toughness and depth scoring, and definitely a team that needs a RHS on the PP, but Calgary is probably not that team any longer.

As long as he doesn't sign in Edmonton, I hope for the best for him and will follow how he is doing.
Or Vancouver
Old 11-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #3799
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Or Vancouver
Doubt he would sign there nor would Vancouver want to but dang if they don't have 3 pwf type forwards who could use some Iggy mentorship.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #3800
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
You would trade Tkachuk before Brodie?
It's all crazy, there are probably 5 guys there is just no value in entertaining a trade at all.

Hamilton
Brodie
Gaudreau
Monahan
Tkatchuk

Monahan could probably come off that list with a great Backlund contract. But you want to make sure you have one of the two of them secured.

Dmen like Brodie and Hamilton just don't get traded before they are 30, unless you are Boston or part of the Xenophobic Quebec culture with a flamboyant black kid.

Johnny still doesn't get credit for his true value league wide.

And Tkatchuk is a Gem and a really unique player. If this team is going to preform beyond the sum of its parts a guy like TKatchuk needs be playing on the edge and producing.
Closed Thread