Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #301
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Started reading Darth Vader, it's really good thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #302
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the latest episode of The Secret History of Comics, this week they talk about Milestone comics. It was an inprint of DC in the 90s that featured all African American writers , artists and heroes. I knew about Static Shock from the cartoon but wasn't aware of any of the other heroes they created, but seemed interesting I might have to pick some of them up now.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #303
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it turns out Batman White Knight is more popular than I thought. Couldn't find issue 2 anywhere looks like I gotta pick up the reprint then look at a con for first printing.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #304
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this question has been asked before, but I'll ask it again.
I've never really gotten into comics apart from a little bit as a kid (Transformers mainly) but I greatly enjoy comic book movies and the animated shows/movies from DC (Justice League Unlimited, etc)
My wife though gave me a $50 GC for Xmas so I'm looking for advice on what to use it for.
I like the Walking Dead but having watched the series I'm pretty familiar with the storylines so I don't think that would be the best book to get into.
Traditionally some of my favorite characters have been Xmen and Batman. I like stuff that is a little darker. Not looking to get into a book from a non DC/Marvel publisher (at least right now).
Any recommendations? I know some of the more popular ones such as The Killing Joke, Phoenix arc, and The Dark Knights stuff. Any recommendations outside of those?
Thanks in advance
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #305
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

For Xmen I’d recommend Astonishing Xmen by Joss Whedon and John cassasaday. Ran for about 20-30 issues. You’ll be familiar with most of the cast and it isn’t super confusing.

Batman I’d recommend the long Halloween and dark victory if you haven’t read them already. Both are self contained and don’t require further reading to understand.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #306
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've got a tablet I'd recommend trying purchasing your comics digitally from Amazon or Comixology (digital comics service owned by Amazon). The digital offerings are often cheaper than the same content in print, and that can stretch your dollars.

Cecil made great recommendations. For Astonishing X-Men, you'd get volumes 1-4 written by Whedon to get the complete arc. On Amazon, the print cost for the four volumes is about $50 USD, and the third volume is only available used. For the digital editions of the same 4 volumes, you can get them for $13 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-X.../dp/0785115315

Long Halloween is a great self contained Batman comic. $17 USD on Amazon for the print version, $5 USD for the digital.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Long-H.../dp/B0064W639K

I don't know Batman comics but I would trust Cecil's recommendation of Dark Victory based on his other guidance.

If you're looking for content that is a little darker but that doesn't involve superheroes, consider Saga (sci-fi), or Southern Bastards (kind of crime noir w/a Friday Night Lights twist), or Lazarus (near future dystopian sci-fi), or Deadly Class (80s coming-of-age but w/assasins!). If you do buy from Amazon, double check the prices between the US and Canada sites as there can be significant price differences. Also check between Amazon.com and Comixology, as even though Amazon runs both sites there can again be significant price differences.

EDIT:Whoops, missed the comment about non-Marvel and non-DC publishers. Sorry for the hard sell!

If you'd rather spend local, all books I've discussed could be found at great local shops such as Phoenix Comics NW on 16 Ave by SAIT, or Alpha Comics in the SE.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #307
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the advice - I picked up Long Halloween and took a chance on Final Crisis as the artwork looked really good and the cover caught my eye. I found it a bit overwhelming - there is so much to choose from.
FC - I hear you about purchasing digitally but I've never been able to read that way. I like to have something in my hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #308
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoy Long Halloween, it's terrific!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #309
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey CP Comic Crew

Any love for Brian K Vaughan's Saga (published by image comics)?

I'm just about to start on Vol#4 (issue 19 I think) and the series has been fantastic so far.

EDIT---

Holy crap! Just found out the artist for Saga - Fiona Staples, is Calgarian!

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...chies-new-look

How nifty is that?

Last edited by Two Fivenagame; 01-01-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #310
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saga's pretty great! I've yet to read the newly released volume 8, but I'm hoping it remains as entertaining and surprising as the series has been to date.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #311
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I could go on forever about how perfect The Long Halloween is. From the perfect symmetry between Loeb’s prose and Sale’s art, the characterization of Batman and the entire supporting cast, the wonderful mystery that entices but doesn’t overshadow the individual issue stories, the way they manage to fit the story into the past (it takes place early in Batman’s career) without ruining or retconning a bunch of the established history of the character.

If you like it, Dark Victory is a sequel that is very similar with the same creative team. So if you hate it maybe avoid it.

They did another sort of sequel with Catwoman When in Rome but it was shorter and not nearly as good as the first two.

And now that I’m on the topic of Loeb and Sale, they are responsible for some of the greatest stories for several Marvel and DC characters. Superman For All Seasons, Long Halloween, SpiderMan Blue, DD Yellow, Hulk Grey are all some of the greatest stories ever told for their respective characters.

I wish they did an XMen version. Although the Wolverine/Gambit one was pretty good and I haven’t yet read Captain America White. But given that Loeb is now big in Marvel TV I feel like he probably doesn’t have a lot of time for comics anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #312
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was much like you big fan of Batman but didn't know where to start. with 75+ years of back story the character of Batman is intimidating to get into but once you do you'll be glad you did. My first Batman story was Batman new 52 Vol. 1 Court of Owls by Scott Snyder. DC decided to start fresh with there universe with the New 52 line so this is the start of new Batman comics. Volume 1 &2 is all about the new villains named the court of Owls. Because they are brand new you get there whole origin story and the comic has fantastic art. It's also a very dark and gothic story. I would highly recommend volume 1 and each volume builds upon the last, so if you like what you read you can continue but if not you can just enjoy each volume.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #313
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Good suggestion. Snyder is an excellent writer and Greg Capullo, of Spawn fame, provides top notch art.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #314
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I find, in general, DC comics are difficult to jump into. Especially the long established characters. Trades and graphic novels make things more accessible.

Some other good Batman trades/graphic novels to get you back into his comics.
  • Batman: Year One
  • Batman: Hush
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Batman: The Man Who Laughs
  • Batman: The Black Mirror
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #315
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I used to collect comics way back in the late 80s early 90s and am trying to get back into them. I'd love to get the actual physical books but they all seem so expensive for the number of pages so I've started buying the digital comics.
I bought Black Panther vol.1 and Gwenpoole vol.1 from Amazon just before Christmas. Gwenpoole is a pretty funny book, had me cracking up a few times so I bought vol.2 as well.
I then read a couple of free comics from Comixology that I had downloaded ages ago called The New 52: Futures End, issues 1 and 2. I really enjoyed the story and went and bought all three volumes of The Futures End for around $6 CDN each. I had no idea about the stuff that happened before this book but it does a pretty good job filling in the backstory.
Also, back in the summer when Amazon had their awesome comic sale I bought the Deadpool: The Adamantium Collection for around $5 - $8 and it was something like 900 pages. Basically the entire collected issues of Deadpool. Just started reading that as well.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #316
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally agree with Long Halloween such a terrific book. DC needs to do at least an animated version of the story if not live action. I don't want to sound condescending but Final Crisis may be tough for a new reader just because of all the background and continuity in it, but you may also really enjoy it just may have to Google 1 or 2 things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #317
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the new 52 still the current continuity that new releases would be following?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #318
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two Fivenagame, I should've mentioned Saga's Calgary connection, I always just assume It's common knowledge. I love when I'm at conventions talking with fans or creators and Fiona's name comes up. People travel to conventions to meet her and get sketches and signings, and I get to mention seeing her at Alpha Comics locally where she's done signings in the past. It always blows them away.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #319
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Is the new 52 still the current continuity that new releases would be following?
New52 lasted for about 5 years and then we got rebirth. I think we just finished with the rebirth branding and now it's back to normal. While it's not current continuity New52 is a terrific place to start for stories about the pillars of the Justice league (Batman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman) and the Justice league Comic it's self was never better. Rebirth as well has been a huge success
Old 01-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #320
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I find, in general, DC comics are difficult to jump into. Especially the long established characters. Trades and graphic novels make things more accessible.

Some other good Batman trades/graphic novels to get you back into his comics.
  • Batman: Year One
  • Batman: Hush
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Batman: The Man Who Laughs
  • Batman: The Black Mirror
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Still it's not as confusing as idiotic Marvel's rebooting of their titles every 2-3 years where you now have like 6 different volumes of Avengers #1.

Also if you are not reading Doomsday Clock you should be. DC is finally integrating the Watchmen into the DC continuum.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote