Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #241
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I agree that this would be good but why would you allow all midget leagues to have hitting? These kids are one or two years away from beer league hockey, what advantage would there be to introtducing them to contact hockey at 16?
I could stand to be corrected but I think at midget age there is a big drop in contact league registration, and Bantam/Midget rec leagues have higher registration.

So really the lower level midget players are already going to none contact by leaving competitive hockey.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #242
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
We did (it was last season). It became he said/she said and because no one could prove what he said (he actually said it to 3 separate players on our squad, according to them), nothing ever happened.

Why would we complain about it and go through the long process if it didn't happen? Why would 3 separate teenagers lie about and be visibly upset about this?

We did however, see an uptick in monitoring of games and one ref, who was consistently terrible for both sides and never felt the need to explain anything to either coach, became noticeably absent from our games.

I've coached a few different levels of Bantam (and obviously played all the way through minor hockey, all at relatively high levels). I have never seen reffing as poor as it is at Bantam AA. Not just missed/blown call wise, but pure d-baggery from the refs. And these guys aren't kids. They are mostly in their mid-twenties-30s and should know better. Both sets of coaches would leave games shaking their heads about officiating I would say 7/10 games, and it would be openly discussed between the opposing sides, no matter who won it was agreed. I don't know what they need to do, but the people they have doing it now are just awful. I could deal with missed calls, of course it understandable they happen. It's the personalities that are doing it that really do cause issues.

Not saying some coaches don't cause issues as well, but in that league inparticular, the reffing was unbearable.
Also for this reason it is, or should be recommended that refs to not talk to players without another official present, and coaches do not talk to refs without one of their co-coaches present. Its basically a witness policy.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #243
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I could stand to be corrected but I think at midget age there is a big drop in contact league registration, and Bantam/Midget rec leagues have higher registration.

So really the lower level midget players are already going to none contact by leaving competitive hockey.
I know there was record registration in Pee Wee which they attribute to dropping hitting.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #244
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just had our first Spring tournament the Shamrock Invitational last weekend in Boston.

Went well. he really enjoyed himself and played great. we watched a bunch of different age groups games over the weekend. some really good hockey being played at young ages.

Biggest problem from the weekend was that we went down with a friend who's kids is an 04 and there were a couple of kids who went to the Brick last year on his team. Will has now decided that he will be on a Brick team in 2018 after hanging out and talking to them. Not sure dad can afford that one since the closest team to us the the Boston jr Bruins and running back and forth to Boston for practices may be a bit crazy.

Reebok Cup in Hookset NH in a couple of weeks and then Future Stars Cup in halifax on the long weekend to wrap up the spring season hockey equipment goes away and the soccer and baseball get kicked into gear.

Dad and son have both had a good time. How is everyone elses spring seasons going?

Last edited by TimSJ; 04-21-2015 at 11:25 AM.
TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #245
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a bump here, but my son is a first yr bantam goalie currently trying out for a team in the northstars organization.

Today he was one of 24 goalies trying out for eight roster spots....found out an hour ago that he survived the first round of cuts and was place on a tryout camp team....he is now in a group of 16 goalies......we can sleep well tonight and look forward to tomorrow's first tournament game.....still lots of miles to go before the final roster, but, it is a step in the right direction.

Would also like to congratulate the other 4 2002 born goalies from Blackfoot Hockey who also moved forward with my son.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #246
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Blackfoot was buffs
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #247
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ part of it is; however those of us that live in river end, douglasglen, Mack towne and new Brighton are northstars
Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #248
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bantam try outs begin here in Lethbridge today. Three or four 02s will make it but the try out is just a formality as the team is essentially picked. Two more kids from cranbrook moving to town this year. They should be the best team we've had in years and will compete for a provincial title.

Good for your son, goalie is always the toughest spot to crack and pee wee to bantam is the biggest jump he will ever have to make.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-23-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #249
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ part of it is; however those of us that live in river end, douglasglen, Mack towne and new Brighton are northstars
When my kid played for the North Stars org. I think the cut off was 50th Ave. SE. and Deerfoot Trail. Times have changed and the population has shifted so I guess the boundaries needed to be moved.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #250
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, my son struggled in his half of the game today......he was very sloppy in the net, and let in a few soft ones.....he lost his stick and was vey composed, and let the play really move up ice before recovering it.

He did not do himself any favours today, so all he can do is move forward....he still has three games to go....I hope for his sake he can right the ship
Old 08-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #251
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

But did he have fun?
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #252
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i would say that yesterday he did not have fun. Was a tough day as a parent as he was in tears over his play - one of those things I wish I could fix, but also know that if he wants to play at the next level that he has to figure out/expereince for himself

will be interesting to see how he responds in tonights game.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #253
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hope he found some success last night
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #254
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ thanks, he played much more to his capabilities last night. He was scored on twice, first goal was a shot that caught him off guard (the difference between community and quadrant hockey players) and the second goal was scored on by a kid who will likely play at the AAA level.

My son faced the elast amount of shots out of the four goalies he was on the ice with, so it was hard for me to rank him - he would ahve been second or lower for sure.

My gut feel is that he will have to be outstanding in his last two games to have a sniff of moving on in the process - unless there is some coach that is really liking something about his game.

I think at the end of the day he is just not quite ready to play at this level and he needs one more year in the oven......
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #255
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know its the dog days of summer for hockey when the first page of the Flames section of the message board has play by play of a poster's son tryout for his youth team!

No disprespect Northendzone. I wish your son a successful season and same to all those other posters' kids (mine included) who will be starting tryouts soon. I know how easy it is to live and die with their performance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #256
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for goalies. We have 20+ kids trying out for 8 spots in Bantam in the NW, and there's probably only 5 or so that can be eliminated immediately. You'll have guys that can conceivably play at a AA level playing in div 3 or 4 community. This happens most years and it's sad to see really. Don't envy goalies or their parents, in my experience they get a raw deal more than most players.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #257
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ this was one thing that really surprised me about goalies - where you could be a l;ate cut from a quadrant team and then play on team 3 becasue you missed a bunch of evaluation sessions for your community.

i had assumed that only the div 1/2 goalies were generally good enough to play quad
Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #258
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

another update for those of you following along - last night my son played in the bottom half of the game and him and his partner pitched a shut out. At one point int eh game my son lost his blocker, and played continued for a bit and I will give him lots of credit as he stodd in the net, meanwhile my heart rate jumped up to about 180 bpm until the whistle was blown.

i continue to think that since sunday my son's play has continued to improve.

Last game of the tourney is tonight, tomorrow nights games are "intersquad" games and i am not sure what to think about my sons chances of advancing to thursday....
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #259
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ this was one thing that really surprised me about goalies - where you could be a l;ate cut from a quadrant team and then play on team 3 becasue you missed a bunch of evaluation sessions for your community.

i had assumed that only the div 1/2 goalies were generally good enough to play quad
Yeah, it's not just about lateness either. It's really just about the quality of the kids vs the amount of spots available. It's not that the last cut will necessarily be better than the kid who ends up on Div 1/2. (a lot of kids that could play don't even try out), it's that out of 20 goalies, 1/2 (or more) of them may be good enough for div 2 or higher. So just purely by numbers you get goalies on teams lower than they rightfully should be.

On the flip side, kids at that age can improve so rapidly that you can't necessarily discount kids who come from lower leagues. We had a goalie once who had played Bantam 6 the year before. The biggest concern with that type of jump for a goalie is that the speed/power of shots could be overwhelming for them.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #260
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

last night my son played the last scheduled game, and I thought he was just ok. He gave up one goal because he could not corral an "easy" looking shot, and the second goal was scored by a AAA caliber player (kid went roof daddy and blew up my sons water bottle). Also had two shots hit the post, otehrwise I thought my son played ok.

5 2002 goalies from our association tried out and one was cut - my son has been chasing this group of kids from his birth year for 3 seasons now, so I am happy for him that he may have caught up to this group.

of course my wife is beside herself in how he could potentially be a late cut from the northstars and wind up playing on team 3/4 for our association if he is unable to get to many of his scheduled community tryouts - i tried to explain it to her, but she thought our association should look at it's policy.....

i am happy/proud to report that last night they cut two goalies and he was not one of the cuts - they are now down to 14 goalies. 6 are in the AAA intersquad game and 8 are in the two AA squad game. so to me this ultimately suggests that you have 8 goalies duking it out for two roster spots and there will presumably be some goalies affiliated.