Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #701
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just searched for his Hot One's episode, and it appears to be off line.

Dude is very creepy, ponytail doesn't help either.
I watched his episode of Hot One and he's definitely creepy. I saw his cooking show years ago but haven't kept up with him. He was going on about partying with rappers and that he switched his Crocs for Yeezys. Fame has definitely gone to his head.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #702
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ive-ex-players
Quote:
The allegations against the retired players and Eric Weinberger, who’s now president of sports commentator Bill Simmons’s media group, are part of a lawsuit against NFL Enterprises in Los Angeles Superior Court. The amended complaint filed Monday detailed specific acts of harassment by several individuals who aren’t named as defendants.
Quote:
A former executive producer at the National Football League’s TV network and ex-players including Marshall Faulk and Heath Evans allegedly groped and made sexually explicit comments to female colleague Jami Cantor, according to an amended complaint by Cantor, a former employee.
Quote:
Ike Taylor, also an analyst, sent Cantor “sexually inappropriate” pictures of himself and a video of him masturbating in the shower, according to the filing. Donovan McNabb, a former analyst, also texted her explicit comments, according to the compliant.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #703
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deadspin got the full complaint. Yeesh

https://deadspin.com/nfl-network-sus....co/v4o0TOXRG5
Old 12-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #704
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you put up with that for 3 years? Shouldn't this have gone to HR on week one?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #705
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the question is more "what kind of society have we created where a woman feels the need, feels trapped enough, or feels is so institutionalized to put up with that #### for 3 years?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #706
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How do you put up with that for 3 years? Shouldn't this have gone to HR on week one?
HR is there to look after the interests of the company, not the employee. I imagine that if she went to HR after the first issue she would have been let go. From what I read, she tried to go to the NFL and nothing happened.

The extent of the abuse is shocking to read.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #707
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, totally agree, 100% her fault!

Seriously dude, whether you are actually saying what I wrote, or your point is something totally different, comments like that are the reason people have a hard time coming forward.
Knock it off with they "Why didn't she say something sooner" comments.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #708
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think un-packaging why she stayed would be very interesting. She wasn't a slave, there was no legal or physical force compelling her to stay, nothing would have prevented her from walking out the door and never coming back. Would no one pay her as well and she thought she could tough it out? Was she so emotionally traumatized that she felt paralyzed? Did she want to build a large body of evidence and smash the NFL in court? Did she just love the NFL so much she couldn't see what was happening?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #709
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Yup, totally agree, 100% her fault!

Seriously dude, whether you are actually saying what I wrote, or your point is something totally different, comments like that are the reason people have a hard time coming forward.
Knock it off with they "Why didn't she say something sooner" comments.
I didn't say it was her fault you muppet. It's not like these were mild comments, this was physical abuse. I would like to think that HR would protect the interest of the company by not having a sexual predator on staff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #710
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
HR is there to look after the interests of the company, not the employee. I imagine that if she went to HR after the first issue she would have been let go. From what I read, she tried to go to the NFL and nothing happened.

The extent of the abuse is shocking to read.
What?? HR departments exist to cover up crimes? You must have different experiences than I do. Most firms aren't interested in having sexual assault occur at their workplace and would deal with the perpetrator not the victim. That is not inconsistent with protecting the company.

Anyway this case is shocking. Disappointing that if true, none of the other people who would have known about this stuff ever did anything about it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #711
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've not been around pro athletes, but college athletes are just the worst for sexual harassment. I won't be surprised when more pro's get busted than Hollywood knobs.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #712
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say it was her fault you muppet. It's not like these were mild comments, this was physical abuse. I would like to think that HR would protect the interest of the company by not having a sexual predator on staff.
Yeah dude, except comments like yours are usually, and probably rightfully, read as "Why didn't she do something earlier, she's to blame".

Whether that was you intent or not is irrelevant, that's how it comes across, and if you'd read my post you'd have seen that I said just that.

And your second statement is so out of touch it's not even funny. You think maybe HR should protect the women who have a right to not be harassed by not having a sexual predator on staff.

Again, maybe not your intent, but think about what you're saying and how it comes across a little bit.

I'd rather be a muppet than the guy who is so oblivious to the situation/issue that he's still making "why didn't she do something" comments.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 12-12-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #713
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you please stop projecting how you read my comments, rather than what my comments actually are? Just because you interpret words a certain way(and are attempting to read into them) it doesn't mean that is what I actually said. You are painting me as someone I am not, and I don't appreciate it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #714
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's crazy, I can't believe someone would put up with that for so long. Her life must have been hell. It's tough to wrap my head around how powerless all these victims must feel.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #715
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you make discussion over her reasons for staying taboo, then you cut out a huge part of the equation and it becomes impossible to understand the root problems in a nuanced way. Good analysis breeds good solutions, but good analysis is impossible without good data.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #716
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What?? HR departments exist to cover up crimes? You must have different experiences than I do. Most firms aren't interested in having sexual assault occur at their workplace and would deal with the perpetrator not the victim. That is not inconsistent with protecting the company.

Anyway this case is shocking. Disappointing that if true, none of the other people who would have known about this stuff ever did anything about it.
HR departments are typically hired by Senior Management. The interests of Senior Management are supposed to be aligned with what's best for the company. That can change especially when it's a Senior management member, a senior employee who holds pull with Senior Management, or a top performer who is the alleged abuser.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #717
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it really that hard for people to figure out why she would have stayed in that position for 3 years? Are people not aware of how tough it is for female media members in pro sports to actually get ahead and be taken seriously? With what we know about how sexual harassment is treated by society, do you not think she might have felt that she a) wouldn't have been believed or b) been given the "well what did you expect? They're pro football players. Boys will be boys?" treatment.

This isn't rocket science.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #718
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And on top of all that, this is the freaking NFL. The league is notorious for taking violence against women about as seriously as bigfoot sightings.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #719
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is it really that hard for people to figure out why she would have stayed in that position for 3 years? Are people not aware of how tough it is for female media members in pro sports to actually get ahead and be taken seriously? With what we know about how sexual harassment is treated by society, do you not think she might have felt that she a) wouldn't have been believed or b) been given the "well what did you expect? They're pro football players. Boys will be boys?" treatment.

This isn't rocket science.
Knowing why and understanding are two different things though. I've never wanted a job so bad that I would put up with something like that, which is why I am having a hard time understanding.

Story after story of abuse, it's clear that we have let a lot of people down.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #720
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you please stop projecting how you read my comments, rather than what my comments actually are? Just because you interpret words a certain way(and are attempting to read into them) it doesn't mean that is what I actually said. You are painting me as someone I am not, and I don't appreciate it.
And again, you are missing my point for several reasons:

1) you aren't qualifying your comments at all which leaves them open to quite a bit of interpretation

2) I'm pointing out that even if you didn't mean them they way I said they came across (I explicitly said that in both posts) it's reasonable to assume that some, if not most people would take them that way

So if you're going to make statements like that, maybe add some qualification and context to them, or don't make them at all.

When you say "How do you put up with that for 3 years? Shouldn't this have gone to HR on week one?", this is very easily interpreted as putting shifting the blame to her.

I'm not trying to project how I read your comments, I'm trying to point out that they can, and kind of do, come across in a way that you may not want them to, and may not even know they do.

There is a big difference between saying "Why didn't she go to HR", which is what you said, and "It's a shame she felt she couldn't go to HR".
Maybe you understand that nuance, maybe you don't, but either way, why get upset that someone is pointing it out?

If you understand it, then it would seem you meant the first.
If you don't understand it, then maybe you meant the second, and why be upset that someone would point out it kinda sounds like the first?