Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #81
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I enjoyed the first episode.

I also like the overlap with Breaking Bad. It would be interesting if they also used this as a vehicle to fill in the story of Breaking Bad characters (i.e. history of Gus).
I'm also hoping for this. Particularly with Gus.

Saul claimed at the end of season 2 that he "knew a guy that knew a guy" when relating to Gus and that he'd never previously met him, but he came to know of him somehow (I'm guessing through Mike) so maybe he did have a previous encounter with Gus that could encompass an episode or two. Or at least show how Mike came to be in Gus' service.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #82
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I don't think Saul ever came to know Gus. He knew of him, and somewhat interacted with him through Walt and Jesse, but I don`t think they ever met. Which episode/scene makes you think they did?

Heheh, actually when he first brought it up to Walt it was 'I know a guy who knows a guy... who knows another guy...' so it was a few degrees of separation. Which was a bit of a writing snafu, cause really, there was only one guy. Mike. Unless he went around Mike, and didn't even know Mike knew Gus till later. (Which I always thought was kinda weird, how Mike just happened to work for Gus anyway, but a small thing to nitpick about)
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #83
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I don't think Saul ever came to know Gus. He knew of him, and somewhat interacted with him through Walt and Jesse, but I don`t think they ever met. Which episode/scene makes you think they did?

Heheh, actually when he first brought it up to Walt it was 'I know a guy who knows a guy... who knows another guy...' so it was a few degrees of separation. Which was a bit of a writing snafu, cause really, there was only one guy. Mike. Unless he went around Mike, and didn't even know Mike knew Gus till later. (Which I always thought was kinda weird, how Mike just happened to work for Gus anyway, but a small thing to nitpick about)
I know Saul claimed he only knew Of Gus, but we also know he lies through his teeth a lot. I think he denied actually knowing him because he came to realize (maybe through some past encounter involving Mike) just how powerful he was, so when Walt asked for specifics, he denied having any knowledge in order to protect himself.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #84
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or he's distancing himself, ... because he's a lawyer.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #85
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I know Saul claimed he only knew Of Gus, but we also know he lies through his teeth a lot. I think he denied actually knowing him because he came to realize (maybe through some past encounter involving Mike) just how powerful he was, so when Walt asked for specifics, he denied having any knowledge in order to protect himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Could be, but I take it at face value. And as for Saul lying, I can't really think of too many times he did. Not like Walter for example. Saul, as greasy as he was/is, was one of the more moral characters in the show. He even took Walter to task for his move with Brock.

Actually, often when Saul did lie, it was on behalf of one of the other characters (usually Walt). Racking my brain here to think of a time he did it for his own reasons. I'm sure it happened, but nothing is sticking out at me.

Just personally, I wouldn't like it if they did introduce Gus again, or if Saul knew him. Prequels and origin stories just kill the original canon when they do stuff like that. Not to mention if feels like it's just an attention/ratings grab. Maybe I'm in the minority. Gus was one of the coolest characters in the show, and one of the great villains of modern television, but I'd leave him where he belongs. In fact, bringing him into it could ruin how cool he was.

There's a lot of stories they could explore without involving all the characters from Breaking Bad.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #86
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could be, but I take it at face value. And as for Saul lying, I can't really think of too many times he did. Not like Walter for example. Saul, as greasy as he was/is, was one of the more moral characters in the show. He even took Walter to task for his move with Brock.

Actually, often when Saul did lie, it was on behalf of one of the other characters (usually Walt). Racking my brain here to think of a time he did it for his own reasons. I'm sure it happened, but nothing is sticking out at me.

Just personally, I wouldn't like it if they did introduce Gus again, or if Saul knew him. Prequels and origin stories just kill the original canon when they do stuff like that. Not to mention if feels like it's just an attention/ratings grab. Maybe I'm in the minority. Gus was one of the coolest characters in the show, and one of the great villains of modern television, but I'd leave him where he belongs. In fact, bringing him into it could ruin how cool he was.

There's a lot of stories they could explore without involving all the characters from Breaking Bad.
There is going to be a cameo, but I agree that the story needs to be organic. I was just trying to help by giving a different angle as to why a character like that could be introduced. Saul can protect himself by keeping plausible deniability in play.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 02-09-2015 at 09:07 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #87
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't remember Tuco being that stupid in the original Breaking Bad. They basically portrayed him as barely functional and so succeptable to suggestion that it was jarring. I get that they need to play up the smooth talking ways of Saul, but i found that excessive.

Other than that it was a really good episode.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #88
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

tuco is just as dumb as I remember.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:42 AM   #89
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I really don't think they tweaked Tuco's character at all. Tuco wasn't stupid when it came to the meth business, and that was about the only thing he had a clue about. But this was a different situation where he just felt disrespected and didn't know what was going on, and I think just wanted to pummel someone for it. I completely bought the way in which Saul talked him down from it, as Saul helped him realize he wasn't really That pissed at those kids, but still needed to make an example of them..so the only question was how.

I found myself laughing hysterically at the whole thing, when he described the different ways in which he'd take care of them, and they'd squeal in reaction. It was a strangely tense yet humorous sequence.

Thoroughly entertaining episode to say the least. I like the direction it's going in. However, you can't help but feel it's limited in where it can go because of how BB has kind of set its limits already, and ends must meet along the way. It can only be so ambitious as opposed to BB where they could just keep upping the stakes at will. We already know there's no real glory in Saul's ending, and Walt is supposedly Saul's biggest client. But perhaps the Cinnabon isn't the end of the road for him, either.

I expect it to be a really fun show, but never reaching the heights of BB because it simply can't with the story it has to work with. But Vince Gilligan has his ways of making gold out of a mundane story in anyone else's hands.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #90
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
You'd be a pretty ####ty lawyer if you constantly blabbed to your other clients about different clients you represented and their illegal behaviour.

You'd be a pretty dead criminal lawyer if you did those things.

It's in Saul's best interest to not communicate much of anything to anyone.

Walter White was not Saul's confidant, he was just another client in a string of horribly violent clients.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #91
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I don't remember Tuco being that stupid in the original Breaking Bad. They basically portrayed him as barely functional and so succeptable to suggestion that it was jarring. I get that they need to play up the smooth talking ways of Saul, but i found that excessive.

Strange. I thought the way he was handling himself before the desert negotiation scene seemed out of his character. Tuco is a hot-head intimidator, and that's how he maintains control over everyone.

This episode was even better than the first one. Great story and that trademark cinematography that just gives the whole show such a distinct and appealing atmosphere. The writing so far seems spot on, and everything about the Saul character and his situation seems so naturally integrated, even knowing the future backstory and the limits placed on what they can and can't do.

As I said before, I am very surprised at the tone and direction they are taking already. I figured it would culminate in the 'criminal' lawyer aspect eventually, but the way they have done it early and seamlessly is incredibly impressive and unanticipated.

This is shaping up to be a wonderful show. I hope it can maintain past Gilligan's involvement. I think that's likely as Gould is essentially the de facto show runner already, with Gilligan in for support.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #92
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the crazy tinfoil blanket electromagnetic nutjob his older brother? I kind of want to see how he got to that place from being a successful partner at a prestigious law firm.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #93
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

An important thing to remember is just like Saul, Tuco's character may also be early in the development stages. We don't know at this point in the timeline just what or who he is.

I thought episode 1 was good, I thought episode 2 was phenomenal. From an entertainment standpoint, I was pretty blown away.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #94
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Is the crazy tinfoil blanket electromagnetic nutjob his older brother? I kind of want to see how he got to that place from being a successful partner at a prestigious law firm.
His dad I think.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #95
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

Really? I thought Tuco was a psychopathic raving lunatic on the verge of murdering someone at every moment. I always thought he was really dumb when they were in the junkyard and Tuco was there.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #96
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
His dad I think.
It's his brother.

Quote:
As was previously reported, Michael McKean will play Chuck, Rhea Seehorn will play Kim, Patrick Fabian will play Hamlin and Michael Mando will play Nacho – characters that will represent both legitimate and illegitimate sides of the law.

“McKean plays Bob’s brother,” Gould confirmed. “We have these two comedy legends working together. He’s playing Saul’s brother. He’s one of the main characters we’ve introduced. He’s just a tremendous performer and he also answers questions about ‘Spinal Tap’.”
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/bett...st-1201261529/

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #97
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
An important thing to remember is just like Saul, Tuco's character may also be early in the development stages. We don't know at this point in the timeline just what or who he is.

I thought episode 1 was good, I thought episode 2 was phenomenal. From an entertainment standpoint, I was pretty blown away.
I think one of the things that they are trying to do with Tuco is show how dependent he is on the moderating influences in his life (Grandma, Nacho). I think we'll see Tuco rise in power while losing his moderating influences and becoming more unstable, which should make for a fun Scarface style B-story.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the twins will have reoccurring roles?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #99
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure if we'll see much more of Tuco at least for this season. I think he was a plot device to introduce us to his associate, Nacho Varga, who I believe will be a major character moving forward. If Tuco, the twins, Hector or Gus make an appearance it probably won't be until Jimmy goes full out Saul. Jimmy's not comfortable swimming with sharks yet.

Looks like Mike is back next week. It will be interesting to see where that goes. We know from BB that Mike was really Gus' guy and not Saul's despite what Saul might have thought. Is Mike working for Gus at this point or is Gus even operating in Albuquerque in 2002?
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SinceDay1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #100
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I never really liked Saul in Breaking Bad, but I gave the show a chance and it gets a huge meeehhhhhhh from me. I shut off the first episode 3 times because it was so boring.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman