Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 AM   #41
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I couldn't resist at the $70 price point. How can you lose?
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #42
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I ordered one for the wife. Her old Lenovo the battery is getting weak and cannot even load some of the new apps any more. Doesn't use it for games or anything intense so hoping it will be ok.
Reading up on how to set it up outside of Amazon setup and looks pretty easy so should be interesting. I may consider the 10 inch if they bring it up here for a smoking deal.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #43
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up - Google is now blocking "non-certified devices" (like Amazon Fire) from installing Google Play store.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news...re-os-0183744/

Don't update your O/S and you should be fine? On a side note - the Amazon app store has VLC and Netflix so I can still fulfill it's mission of being a kid tablet...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #44
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can still sideload apks though which is easy using lots of different programs from the amazon store
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #45
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Heads up - Google is now blocking "non-certified devices" (like Amazon Fire) from installing Google Play store.
Whelp. So glad I just ordered one.

Wonder if rooting is an option?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #46
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phew - fear not. This link below is what I used to sideload on the HD8 I received today and it's working fine as I type.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/g...on-fire-tablet

I was a bit worried as when you first login it starts updating. But following the above I've installed Google Play and am installing all the apps I need. I'm even logged in to Google Services.

Hopefully some update in the future doesn't break it all, but from what I've read apps you install now are continuing to work even when your device gets tagged with Google's latest folly.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-29-2018 at 09:20 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #47
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got notification that mine arrived today. I will try the above link. TIA
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #48
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any luck finding local stores that stock cases for the Fire 8 HD? The case I ordered from a 3rd party seller on Amazon hasn't arrived after two months, and I'm just going through the refund dance. I'd prefer not to order from Amazon again, as the cases made by Amazon are $40, and I'm leery about trying another 3rd party seller, even one that's based in NA, due to the high chance of the parcel disappearing or getting caught in customs.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #49
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I got mine in the mail a couple days ago. Pretty solid so far. Was able to use the link above and no problems loading the google play store.
For travel, Netflix/YouTube/ebooks, this looks like a good device.
I had ordered a non amazon case through amazon and they arrived in the same box.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #50
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Anyone have any luck finding local stores that stock cases for the Fire 8 HD? The case I ordered from a 3rd party seller on Amazon hasn't arrived after two months, and I'm just going through the refund dance. I'd prefer not to order from Amazon again, as the cases made by Amazon are $40, and I'm leery about trying another 3rd party seller, even one that's based in NA, due to the high chance of the parcel disappearing or getting caught in customs.
I bought this one from Amazon (fulfilled by amazon) and am really happy with it. It was $16 or 17 and does a great job. Fits well and cutouts are good. Price was right and it came same day as the tablet itself.

ETA I'm not endorsing the case. It works for me, but it's not the best quality. There was another one around the same price that I was considering but I got $2 off or something like that because I bought it at the same time as the screen protector.

Last edited by billybob123; 04-07-2018 at 03:31 PM.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post: