Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #6241
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm big on him because at every single level he has played in his 2nd season is essentially double his 1st. Last year, no exception. You want a player who can do that. Proves he has the intelligence and work ethic to perform to the level of his peers or better. Honestly, people should be higher on him.
I'll jump on the Beckman train. Eye catching numbers. Seems he has everything, just needs to get stronger for the pros.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:41 AM   #6242
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I agree, I’d just be looking for a cheap number 4-5 guy and hoping we use the extra cap space for a forward or a goalie upgrade.
I just feel like we need to cover our basis, just in case, y'know? There is just too many questions.

How will Valimaki rebound from over 18 months without a game after missing half of the previous season with a different injury?
How will Mackey adjust to being a pro?
Will Kylington take a step forward and establish himself as an everyday player?

I just feel like it would be smarter to ensure we have that additional top 4 defenseman, just in case. I'd also to add a cheap #7 that could play regularly in a pinch. If 2 of the 3 questions above see guys not ready to play nightly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #6243
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel a bit validated in having wanted the flames to chase eberle. He would have been a good fit at rw for our club.
23 points in 29 playoff games since leaving the oil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #6244
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anytime people get excited over numbers in the AHL I get the sinking feeling we're looking at another Czarnik who was an AHL monster for multiple years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #6245
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think Leverage is at play here.

Dumba is a sought after commodity.
Leverage always matters. Especially in this trade climate.

Sure, everyone would love to add a Dumba. But, how many teams have a protection slot available, cap space + prospects, and really NEED an RD?

TOR
WIN
CGY
MTL
DET?

I'm sure there are a few others, but this is the time to settle on a price you feel is fair and walk out of the dealership, telling them to call you if/when they can meet it.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #6246
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm sure there are a few others, but this is the time to settle on a price you feel is fair and walk out of the dealership, telling them to call you if/when they can meet it.
I always felt like this should always be the case.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #6247
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Leverage always matters. Especially in this trade climate.

Sure, everyone would love to add a Dumba. But, how many teams have a protection slot available, cap space + prospects, and really NEED an RD?

TOR
WIN
CGY
MTL
DET?

Unless you view Nylander as a C, believe we are best equipped to offer MIN the best piece if we offer Monahan. Guys on 960 were all over this and one of the hosts said if he had to get rid of one of Johnny or Mony, he’d choose Mony. Shift Lindy to C and in Dumba we’ve got a player with an edge which is something we were looking for last season (Kadri). Getting a player in his prime With 3 yrs left vs OEL and his albatross of a contract and probably allows us to keep picks. More I think about It the more I like it.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #6248
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like Dumba, but not for Monahan. Monahan isnt perfect, nor is he a No1 C, but losing him creates a huge hole. Shifting Lindholm to C can work, but then it creates a huge hole on RW now.

Monahan has more value than Dumba. What else can we offer to Minny? We don't have enough chips if our 2020 1st is not on the table. Our farm is decimated.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #6249
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I am not a fan of Dumba for Monahan. This team had weak C depth and trading our top center for a Dman doesn’t feel like the right move to me
Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #6250
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also want Dumba, but not for one of our premium pieces and I think that Minny feels he's worth it.

People will throw things at me, but what about trying to use Bennett for it? His value is definitely boosted post playoffs.

Mangiapane is another candidate, but I would be pretty sad to see Bread go.

Someone made a phaneuf comparison for dumba and I think it is pretty apt (though I hope Dumba ages better!) How about trying to structure the trade like Toronto did for us?

Kylington (Ian White) + Derek Ryan (Hagman)+ Jankowski (Stajan) + Rinaldo (Mayers)

For Dumba (phaneuf) + Eriksson Ek (Sjostrom) + Soucy (Aulie)

Lol after having typed that out I had a solitary tear roll down my cheek. What a horrible trade lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #6251
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnesota is selling Dumba simply because you can not have that much money attached to the blueline, and they just signed Brodin long term. They have decided that Brodin has much more value than Dumba.

So if Minnesota feels like having four big payday defensemen throws out the pay balance for their club, why is Calgary dead set on adding a fourth long term highly paid d-man? It seems like three big salaries, two ELCs and a journeyman is the perfect mix, or else you are taking resources away from the forwards or the goalies.

I simply think that if you are adding OEL or Dumba, then the plan must be to move Giordano or Hanafin. The forward core and goalies just seem like so much more of a priority that isn't going to be addressed if a big d-man is brought in, and one isn't shipped out.

The rumors of Montreal adding Dumba, or Edmonton adding OEL make more sense, to me. They are weaker.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #6252
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Domi for Matt Dumba.. makes sense to me.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #6253
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett+ would appeal to MIN, but I think that would be moving the wrong direction for CGY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I always felt like this should always be the case.
Agreed to an extent. But, no matter how much GMs will try to convince us otherwise, they frequently get emotionally invested and run afoul of this philosophy.

My point is that my 'fair price' that I think MIN might actually agree to is lower knowing that they've painted themselves into a corner.

Since the Spurgeon deal, it always seemed obvious that Dumba would be the odd man out. But, until Brodin was inked, MIN could at least bluff that they had alternative options.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #6254
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Minnesota is selling Dumba simply because you can not have that much money attached to the blueline, and they just signed Brodin long term. They have decided that Brodin has much more value than Dumba.

So if Minnesota feels like having four big payday defensemen throws out the pay balance for their club, why is Calgary dead set on adding a fourth long term highly paid d-man? It seems like three big salaries, two ELCs and a journeyman is the perfect mix, or else you are taking resources away from the forwards or the goalies.

I simply think that if you are adding OEL or Dumba, then the plan must be to move Giordano or Hanafin. The forward core and goalies just seem like so much more of a priority that isn't going to be addressed if a big d-man is brought in, and one isn't shipped out.

The rumors of Montreal adding Dumba, or Edmonton adding OEL make more sense, to me. They are weaker.
We only have 1 "big salary" on the back end. Under 5 is no longer a big salary. Hanifin and Andersson are getting paid as middle pair dmen.

Besides that, our Defense will be seriously weak next year without improvement. Gio looked horrible in the back half of the season/ playoffs and it is no stretch of the imagination to believe that will continue on next season (whenever that is.)

Dumba makes a lot of sense for us. And it allows us to use Hanifin as a barganing chip if Valimaki succeeds as we hope. It also fixes our Right-Left imbalance on the back end, which is notable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #6255
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I also want Dumba, but not for one of our premium pieces and I think that Minny feels he's worth it.

People will throw things at me, but what about trying to use Bennett for it? His value is definitely boosted post playoffs.

Mangiapane is another candidate, but I would be pretty sad to see Bread go.

Someone made a phaneuf comparison for dumba and I think it is pretty apt (though I hope Dumba ages better!) How about trying to structure the trade like Toronto did for us?

Kylington (Ian White) + Derek Ryan (Hagman)+ Jankowski (Stajan) + Rinaldo (Mayers)

For Dumba (phaneuf) + Eriksson Ek (Sjostrom) + Soucy (Aulie)

Lol after having typed that out I had a solitary tear roll down my cheek. What a horrible trade lol.

Ya I don’t think building a trade based off of a deal that was panned as a fleecing the moment it was made is the right path (I know the Phaneuf deal ended up being a lose-lose but at the time it was a clear win for the Leafs)

Eriksson Ek is also >>>> Sjostrom and Jankowski is << Stajan

You do bring up Mangipane as a trade chip and I do think he could be a player the Flames shop considering the contract impasse from last summer. I think they either go 4+ years with him or cut bait.

Bennett sure did repair his value in the playoffs but not to the level he brings back a top pairing RD in a deal
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #6256
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett+Kylington was Minnesota's ask for Dumba would you pull the trigger?

I would.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #6257
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Max Domi for Matt Dumba.. makes sense to me.
With Weber and Petry I don’t see Dumba as a huge need for the Habs
Old 09-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #6258
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If Bennett+Kylington was Minnesota's ask for Dumba would you pull the trigger?

I would.
Not sure about the cap though? That adds over $3M of space and one less player.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #6259
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I really want CGY to take a shot at Galchenyuk. We need help in the middle.
This is the type of low risk high reward move that the Flames should be making supplemental to a bigger move.

I don’t think he is really a centre but even a top 6 winger is needed. Flames just need bigger and skilled top 6 forwards in general. You can trade Johnny or Mony for help in other areas or even for youth, and sign Hall to replace their production and then sign Galchenyuk to a one year show me contract like Radulov had to sign with Montreal when he came back from Russia.

I think at this stage, Galchenyuk might be looking for just a team that will give him a chance to play regular top 6 minutes with good players.

You can’t always be paying top dollar for your core. Sometimes you have to take a flyer on guys who have struggled and hope there’s a right match. I know they tried with Czarnik but honestly they just got more what they already had: small and skilled. Galchenyuk brings something they lack: size and top 6 skill. When I say size, I don’t mean he needs to be physical but rather at least be able to use your size to control the puck and maintain control. This applies for the bottom 6 too. Reider, Ryan are game and competitive but they just can’t win physical battles against bigger opposition. Same with Mangiapane and Dube. You obviously keep Mangy and Dube but you need to get much bigger in the bottom 6 to get out of the west.

Last edited by 868904; 09-16-2020 at 09:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #6260
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's everyone's thought's on Erik Haula?

Good C depth free agent signing, probably for cheap.....or is he terrible?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread