Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #1901
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It definitely seems like Alberta has as better testing setup. Here in Manitoba it is still 3-5 days.

Every once in a while someone gets lucky and its 2 days.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #1902
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
This has been beaten to death but, I was feeling sick last week so Thursday I booked a test for Friday and received my negative results on Saturday. I booked online for the Southland drive in. In my opinion, great job by Alberta Health and all involved.
I was tested on Southport Road on Wednesday, and still no results six days later.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #1903
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friday Sept 11th 2020 - 105 new cases out of 12700 tests
Sat Sept 12th 2020 - 173 new cases out of 18919 tests
Sun Sept 13th 2020 - 140 new cases out of 14451 tests

37 hospitalized (7 in ICU)
1 new death over the weekend (254 total deaths)
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #1904
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

42 cases at 35 schools while infectious
3 new outbreaks at school (2 in Calgary). None of these outbreaks are due to in school transmission. Lester B Pearson High School, Auburn Bay school
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #1905
nobles_point
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
This is really interesting.

Sounds like “lick sticks” & orthogonal testing are close, as they’re trying to figure out how to reopen mass gathering events.

Even if a test takes 15 minutes to get a result, how can you do that for 5, 10, 15, 20 thousand in a reasonable time period for entry?

It’s going to take immense organization & infrastructure.
nobles_point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #1906
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post

Sounds like “lick sticks” & orthogonal testing are close, as they’re trying to figure out how to reopen mass gathering events.

Even if a test takes 15 minutes to get a result, how can you do that for 5, 10, 15, 20 thousand in a reasonable time period for entry?

You distribute in advance or in the line.

It should only add the duration of the test time. You just have verification of the stick at the same time as the metal detector. Essentially you have a line handing out the lick sticks at the parking entry, Ctrain, and 12th street, by the time people are at the door their teat is ready.

You would need to offer refunds to the infected.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #1907
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weekly Alberta New Cases Mon-Sun (only the “pink” cases on website are counted not the probable blue ones and I don’t go back to fix numbers if they change)

June 1-7 170
June 8-14 - 255 - 55% growth
June 15-21 288 - 8% growth
June 22-28 319 - 10.7% growth
June 29 - July 5 323 - 1.2% growth
July 6 - July 12 427 - 32% growth
July 13-19 731 - 72% growth
July 20-26 773 - 5% growth
July 27-Aug 2 - 674 - 14% reduction in cases
Aug 3 - Aug 9 -592 - 12% reduction in cases
Aug 10-16 - 639 - 8% growth
Aug 17-23 684 - 4% growth
Aug 24-30 882 - 32% growth
Aug 31 - Sep 6 1010 cases 14% growth
Sep 7 - Sep 14 887 growth 12% reduction

Very positive week with a 12% reduction in cases. These likely don’t include any potential school acquired cases. This weeks data might start to detect school acquired cases if any. So an important week coming up. There was also some huge testing numbers on the weekend so the positive rate has some down. With kids going back to school this could be because more kids are being tested who are more likely to have something other than Covid relative to an adult so I wouldn’t necessarily put too much stock into the % positive until we get a few weeks of back to school testing.

Last edited by GGG; 09-14-2020 at 08:14 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #1908
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post

I think at home tests get us back to school and work. I don't think they get us into concerts and hockey games.

That's probably a year (at least) away, and dependent on how effective the vaccines are at inhibiting transmission. Right now the vaccine developers are suggesting that their vaccines will inhibit infection, but not necessarily inhibit transmission. You might have virus in your nose, but you aren't getting sick, so you can still pass it on.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #1909
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question.

If I am required to quarantine and I want to isolate from my family to reduce the risk of transmission to them, does a shared bathroom setup make the isolation ineffective? Even if I spend 100% of the time isolated in a room and only leave to use the bathroom.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #1910
Canadianman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Question.

If I am required to quarantine and I want to isolate from my family to reduce the risk of transmission to them, does a shared bathroom setup make the isolation ineffective? Even if I spend 100% of the time isolated in a room and only leave to use the bathroom.
doesn't make it ineffective. With proper sanitizing processes in place, it can be almost 100% effective.

Have everyone sanitize their hands before they enter and wash them before they leave.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #1911
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question.

Does it have an exterior vented fan? I think I would leave that on for at least awhile after using it to change out the air.

Other than that I think regular disinfecting wipe downs and everyone washes their hands would be good precautions.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #1912
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Question.

I am not a doctor but I assume that in a perfect world you'd use a separate bathroom but that's not always possible. Fan, sanitize, and maybe wear a mask when you go to the bathroom?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #1913
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Question.

At the dentist, they said they do all procedures that involve a lot of spraying water at the beginning, so that droplets have 30 min to settle before the next patient comes in.

So maybe space out people using the bathroom after you and go masks on in the bathroom?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #1914
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't even consider the fan, but I will use that. I was going to use the mask regardless except to shower and brush my teeth.

I must go to the US and upon my return I would like to try to isolate from my family in addition to quarantining away from society. But we only have the one bathroom unfortunately.

I guess there's nothing left to do but visit the video game thread for some ideas
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #1915
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't even consider the fan, but I will use that. I was going to use the mask regardless except to shower and brush my teeth.

I must go to the US and upon my return I would like to try to isolate from my family in addition to quarantining away from society. But we only have the one bathroom unfortunately.

I guess there's nothing left to do but visit the video game thread for some ideas
I did the same thing as you are talking about. I had to do this in March coming back from the states. I've been in the states for work since July 10. I'm slated to come home October 16 and I'm gearing up for another 14 day isolation stint.

Isolated myself in a room by myself and only left to use to shared bathroom to shower in the morning, brush my teeth, etc. It worked pretty well. My wife used a lot of Lysol disinfectant spray after I used the bathroom. I'm not sure if that's readily available in Canada again. I still haven't found any in the states.

May I add that by day 5 of this video game quarantine it gets really old.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickerjones For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #1916
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn’t going to help:

Quote:
The death of an Albertan in his 20s that was first ruled a COVID-19 death on Thursday wasn’t related to the disease at all, Alberta Health confirmed on Monday.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7326819/a...cS8fSdeEcYg6XM
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #1917
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Why? It's pretty settled that covid killing young people without strong comorbidities is very rare. Whether one of those very rare deaths happened or not changes nothing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #1918
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

How much is a porta potty delivery?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #1919
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Shocking!

But at least it made the news cycle long enough for everyone’s to hear.

Also, no disrespect meant to the family and victim. Loss of a young adult is always tragic, and their loss is not diminished with/without covid.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #1920
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Why? It's pretty settled that covid killing young people without strong comorbidities is very rare. Whether one of those very rare deaths happened or not changes nothing.
A quarter of Canadians think the risks of Covid are over blown. Having them say someone died of covid then retracting that just a couple days later will just reinforce those positions.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote