Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #1421
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm mounting a TV in our kitchen area. I'm planning on using a Chromecast to be able to stream to it. The kitchen and living room area all have built in speakers but the receiver is about ten feet from where the TV is going to go. Is there a way to get the audio to the receiver without using a cable?
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #1422
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I'm mounting a TV in our kitchen area. I'm planning on using a Chromecast to be able to stream to it. The kitchen and living room area all have built in speakers but the receiver is about ten feet from where the TV is going to go. Is there a way to get the audio to the receiver without using a cable?
Your TV would need to support connecting to a Bluetooth device for audio output. Then you'd want to connect the Bluetooth adapter to the receiver. It's clunky, and you'll only get stereo sound with this method.

For ten feet, I'd find a way to run an HDMI cable through the wall.

You'll need a stud-finder. Get some HDMI wall plates and two single gang low-voltage mounting brackets from Home Depot, and get an HDMI cable much longer than you need. You can either plumb it through the wall studs (harder, requires more holes in the wall), or you can modify your baseboards to have a notch in them that'll hide the HDMI cable and run it along the floor more or less, only plumbing it through the wall when you've reached the area that the wall plates will be installed.

EDIT: You can do this so long as your TV and receiver support HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel). Your TV should have (ARC) after one of the HDMI port labels, same with your receiver (not all of them are labeled so look in your owner's manual or online). If either one does not, then you'll need to use an optical audio cable or whatever your TV and receiver will both support. HDMI ARC is so commonplace now, but worth looking into if your equipment is a little older.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #1423
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make sure use use CL-3 rated HDMI if you run it through the walls. Doesn't usually cost much more. CL-3 is rated for in-wall installations.

I agree that Bluetooth will be clunky, and come with an audio delay and sound junky.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #1424
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Your TV would need to support connecting to a Bluetooth device for audio output. Then you'd want to connect the Bluetooth adapter to the receiver. It's clunky, and you'll only get stereo sound with this method.

For ten feet, I'd find a way to run an HDMI cable through the wall.

You'll need a stud-finder. Get some HDMI wall plates and two single gang low-voltage mounting brackets from Home Depot, and get an HDMI cable much longer than you need. You can either plumb it through the wall studs (harder, requires more holes in the wall), or you can modify your baseboards to have a notch in them that'll hide the HDMI cable and run it along the floor more or less, only plumbing it through the wall when you've reached the area that the wall plates will be installed.

EDIT: You can do this so long as your TV and receiver support HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel). Your TV should have (ARC) after one of the HDMI port labels, same with your receiver (not all of them are labeled so look in your owner's manual or online). If either one does not, then you'll need to use an optical audio cable or whatever your TV and receiver will both support. HDMI ARC is so commonplace now, but worth looking into if your equipment is a little older.
That's awesome advice thanks. I think it will end up being a cable but looking at all options. Is one option to do chromecast on HDMI in on reciever. Then wireless HDMI on the out to the TV.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #1425
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I finally got a receiver that supports Dolby Atmos, and I want to do a 5.1.2 speaker set up. I currently have mine as 7.1 but there doesn't seem to be much content in that format so I'm thinking of taking the extra surrounds and putting them up front. I live in a condo and I can't ceiling mount speakers so I'm wondering what's the best placement for them. Or should I keep them as surrounds and get two more? Any recommendations?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #1426
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-SB3651-E...100371529.html

You'd have a hell of a time beating the value in this sound bar IMO, especially in your price range. I'm sure there's options out there in your price range, but it'd be hard to find within the same range and that extra $50 off is sweet.
Woot! These are back in stock. Going to give these a try for sure. Any suggestions on where to find decent speaker stands for the rears?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #1427
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Woot! These are back in stock. Going to give these a try for sure. Any suggestions on where to find decent speaker stands for the rears?
I bought these:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cables can't go through the stand due to the ends on them, but I just taped them with electrical tape and they look sharp.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #1428
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
That's awesome advice thanks. I think it will end up being a cable but looking at all options. Is one option to do chromecast on HDMI in on reciever. Then wireless HDMI on the out to the TV.
If wireless audio is going to provide a lackluster experience, imagine for a moment how bad it will be for wireless video, particularly as media fidelity is increased.

If you are doing wireless, it should be for both audio and video, or neither. At least when both are being streamed from one endpoint to another, the lag induced impacts both audio and video, so they're more likely to be in-sync with each other.

Only time I'd suggest otherwise is for wireless surround satellites, since those are generally carrying environmental noise and ambience. You can generally get a decent experience with those provided you aren't battling too much interference in the room.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #1429
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

made the plunge and got an NU8000 last night. i left in the box and want to return it due to my relentless buyers remorse but in an odd plot twist the wife wants to keep it so i can be guilt free.

i have the worst buyers remorse i think on the planet.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #1430
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

i have the worst buyers remorse i think on the planet.
Can relate. It's annoying as I'm not especially frugal but there are a number of non essential items like TV's and that I do tend to feel that way about.

However, I am happy I managed to pick up that soundbar. I was disappointed that I missed out on them last time and will hold me over until I can invest in a real home theater setup.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 02-27-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #1431
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Can relate. It's annoying as I'm not especially frugal but there are a number of non essential items like TV's and that I do tend to feel that way about.

However, I am happy I managed to pick up that soundbar. I was disappointed that I missed out on them last time and will hold me over until I can invest in a real home theater setup.
I would love that vizio sound bar but my family room setup is a little odd. I need true rear wireless, or, just a simple soundbar with sub.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #1432
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have a 2.1 version too I believe.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #1433
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would love that vizio sound bar but my family room setup is a little odd. I need true rear wireless, or, just a simple soundbar with sub.
How exactly would they not work if thats what you want?

Just set them up behind your couch. Thats what I have done.

My current problem is the wife. We bought a new couch for the bonus room that is super comfy, and now she refuses to go to the theater room to watch a movie. She prefers the 65" and vizio soundbar (which has been amazing), but really just prefers the couch. I'd rather watch in the basement.

I need to replace my theater room couch to something more comfy apparently.

Last edited by Weitz; 02-27-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #1434
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
How exactly would they not work if thats what you want?

Just set them up behind your couch. Thats what I have done.

the brown things are couch and love seat, black things end tables. so the only wya to make this work would be to buy 2 rocket fish rear wireless speakers

I guess it could go behind my couch but i feel like the surround sound would be weird.

im happy using my z5500's for now
Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #1435
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah yah was imagining something different. Makes sense then.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #1436
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm confused what you mean by that. Where were you intending to put the speakers if they were true wireless? Wouldn't surround sound be weird anyways if you're not centered to the TV? Or is that what you mean?

Quote:

the brown things are couch and love seat, black things end tables. so the only wya to make this work would be to buy 2 rocket fish rear wireless speakers

I guess it could go behind my couch but i feel like the surround sound would be weird.

im happy using my z5500's for now
Because you can turn off surround sound in that 5.1 set and just have the back speakers essentially add more sound to the room so that you don't always have to crank up the volume of the front sound bar to hear if you sit at a distance. I guess on occasion you could set up a movie night on occasion and square up the couch to the TV/activate 5.1? Or if you will put the sub in front of the TV, you could run the speaker lines parallel to the walls and do a sorta "C" shape for sound? (But not surround sound).

The rear speakers connect to the wireless subwoofer so some of the positioning is really just based on where the subwoofer needs to be plugged in. I'm just mentioning this, because the difference between the Vizio 5.1 and 2.1 set up is $60. If you're getting a sound bar, that Vizio 5.1 set is hard to beat and I personally would pay the extra $60 for 5.1 rather than get the 2.1 to future proof since it's easy to disable surround sound. That way, you're not out $200 when you find yourself in a situation where you want to go from 2.1 to 5.1

Last edited by DoubleF; 02-27-2019 at 01:12 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #1437
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd put the TV centred on the left wall, and either move the small couch to where the TV is, or rotate it 90°. Having a TV in a corner, and the couch not square to it isn't exactly great viewing. Not great for sound, either. Sound bars depend on bouncing sound and work best in a rectangular room with everything square.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #1438
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm constrained on how the boss wants it. I think I like the other idea of just keeping the sound at stereo and having a rocketfish rear wireless fill out the area with more sound.

Our bonus room upstairs is where the serious TV viewing will occur anyways.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #1439
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm constrained on how the boss wants it. I think I like the other idea of just keeping the sound at stereo and having a rocketfish rear wireless fill out the area with more sound.

Our bonus room upstairs is where the serious TV viewing will occur anyways.
Ah, I misread. I thought you were going to buy a 2.1 and pair it with a Rocketfish rear wireless (which is why I suggested getting the 5.1 and doing stereo). I didn't realize you were pairing it up with existing sound setup.

And good luck with the boss. I find sometimes it's a good idea to negotiate over wine and chocolates.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #1440
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone purchased a TCL 6 series? Thoughts on sports viewing?