Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Network Help - Load Balancing 2 ISP's

Hey CP Network gurus. With my buddy Elon now imposing his data cap starting next month which I'm sure we all knew was coming even though the speeds continue to get worse and worse....sorry don't get me started on that rant. lol

I'm looking at adding my old ISP as a second option and using both equally to get around the data cap issue. So my 2 ISP's will be Starlink and EIDnet (local satellite service) From my limited understanding what I would require is a load balancing router. I found this one at amazon for a very reasonable price.

TP-Link-TL-R470T+ for $43.99 Would this be suitable for my purposes or are there other/better options?

I also currently use a Netgear RAX45 (AX4300) as my router. Would I still be able to use this or does the load balancing router just replace this as well? I'd like to continue to use this router as well if possible as it has good range for my house. Like would I be able to plug both connections from the ISP's into the WAN ports on the tp-link router then plug the LAN into my RAX45 and be able to use it that way? That's what I was kind of hoping would work but I'm not exactly sure how it would all connect?

Any help/suggestions are very much appreciated.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I don't see why what you propose won't work. You may have to disable some stuff on the TPlink so you don't have 2 DHCP servers running. Note if you do any access externally into your network it's probably going to get messy.

Looking at that router, you sometimes have to be careful with what the describe as load balancing. This looks to failover when once connection goes dead, which I presume is what you want. Note the quality of this detection and speed of switching can be variable. It doesn't look to allow you to send some percentage traffic to each service.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/529/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: