Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #141
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Again. They'll build more of them. Calgary doesn't even have ONE yet. These things take time. And I would argue that most people aren't going to abuse superchargers either - the same way people don't abuse gas stations. It doesn't matter that I can fuel up anywhere, I don't drive 1400 KM a day.
People don't abuse gas stations because they pay for gas. But if gas was free, they would abuse it.

Heck, when gas is 10c/l cheaper, people will line up.

Last edited by accord1999; 04-04-2016 at 11:59 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #142
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
A 5440 lb electric SUV is quicker than this. In Ludicrous mode, the Model S P90D beats the Enzo to 60 mph by a full 1.2 seconds!
Isn't the Enzo also more than 10 years old; its 0-60 is reputed to be around 3.1-3.2 which so it's a few tenths slower than a P90DL. But the P90DL can only do that once, before it needs to recharge its battery back to full. And 0-60 provides only a small picture of performance. While the vast majority of owners will never take it the track, the Enzo will still do well on a track while the P90DL will overheat within a lap or so.

Quote:
Tesla's autonomous driving tech is the industry standard.
Sure, because they use MobileEye.

Quote:
Their service intervals are insanely long, and they don't have many maintenance issues associated with conventional cars.
If you follow the recommendations, it's really no different than a regular car:
https://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/support/service-plans

And Teslas has many things that break.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #143
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
People don't abuse gas stations because they pay for gas. But if gas was free, they would abuse it.

Heck, when gas is 10c/l cheaper, people will line up.
Do you have time to drive 500 extra kilometers out of your way for no reason other than 'free'? Keep in mind, these cars are meant to be charged overnight, in your home, when electricity rates are at their lowest. To recharge a Model S costs somewhere between $3-7 dollars.

I suppose the solution could be 'charge people for electricity' as well - which Tesla also already does.

People line up for gas when it's 10c cheaper because they can't do math. If you're saving $5 on a tank but you have to wait 30 minutes to fill up, you're losing money if you're making anything above minimum wage. Your time has value. And when people can plug their car in before they go to bed and wake up with a full charge, I don't know how widespread supercharger abuse really becomes a hindrance.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 AM   #144
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have time to drive 500 extra kilometers out of your way for no reason other than 'free'? Keep in mind, these cars are meant to be charged overnight, in your home, when electricity rates are at their lowest. To recharge a Model S costs somewhere between $3-7 dollars.
The abuse occurs where Superchargers are located nearby or within cities, like in California, where electricity is much more expensive.

Quote:
People line up for gas when it's 10c cheaper because they can't do math. If you're saving $5 on a tank but you have to wait 30 minutes to fill up, you're losing money if you're making anything above minimum wage. Your time has value. And when people can plug their car in before they go to bed and wake up with a full charge, I don't know how widespread supercharger abuse really becomes a hindrance.
Certainly, but there's no reason not to believe that no EV owner will be math challenged. And not everybody owns a garage.

Last edited by accord1999; 04-05-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #145
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't the Enzo also more than 10 years old; its 0-60 is reputed to be around 3.1-3.2 which so it's a few tenths slower than a P90DL. But the P90DL can only do that once, before it needs to recharge its battery back to full. And 0-60 provides only a small picture of performance. While the vast majority of owners will never take it the track, the Enzo will still do well on a track while the P90DL will overheat within a lap or so.

Sure, because they use MobileEye.

If you follow the recommendations, it's really no different than a regular car:
https://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/support/service-plans

And Teslas has many things that break.
I don't know of a non-Tesla that has a 1/year 20,000km service schedule.

Audi/VW/BMW/Mercedes all run on 1/15,000.
Toyota is 6 months/8000km.
Mazda is 4 months/8000km.
Ford is 6 months/10,000km.

So really, it is different than a regular car. Quite demonstrably. Because it's not a regular car.

Yes, Teslas break. They're machines.

It doesn't matter when the Enzo was released, nor does it matter that what is essentially a street legal race car is better on a track than a Model S - the Enzo didn't stop being 2700 lbs. The point was not "Teslas are better than an Enzo", it's to underscore how impressive it is that I can even say that.

You know what I can't say it about? This.

Spoiler!

Or this.

Spoiler!

And I will guarantee this doesn't get 276,000 pre-orders in one day.

Spoiler!

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 04-05-2016 at 09:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #146
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The abuse occurs where Superchargers are located nearby or within cities, like in California, where electricity is much more expensive.

Certainly, but there's no reason not to believe that no EV owner will be math challenged. And not everybody owns a garage.
Again. Nothing stops Tesla from charging customers for power like any other fueling station. With the level of internet connectivity these cars come with, it also wouldn't be very difficult to identify abusers.

If someone has the income to spend $50K+ on a car, I have to presume they have access to some sort of electrical outlet. If they don't, they can't buy one of these right now. Which is fine, because there's a bit of a supply shortage.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 AM   #147
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a general rule, most people care more about conveniency than price. Why would you waste your time driving to a charging station when you could spend that time sitting back on your own couch?

If anything I would imagine there might be annoying guys who always "just drop by" to a friends place to charge their cars. But I doubt we'll see that much either for a good while. The Tesla's are not cheap cars. If you can afford a Tesla, you're not likely to waste your time chasing free electricity.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This current gen of electric cars is just a stepping stone anyway. We need better battery tech that is cheaper, has more capacity and charges faster. Unfortunately we are still working with an evolution from a 90's revolution tech. We need a new revolution. YUou hear about them every month or so, but nothing has hit as the one that is actually practical.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #149
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I would argue that most people aren't going to abuse superchargers either - the same way people don't abuse gas stations.
No way - look at Car2Go and the lowest common denominator of society that abuses that system. Hiding cars. Multiple accounts for registration. Commuters from Airdrie and the burbs.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #150
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahah people hide car2go's? Are there news stories on this?

Also, regarding Supercharging, not nearly enough credit being given to Tesla for how good they are.

Quote:
Tesla's Supercharging technology is the fastest DC charging standard in the world right now, and is a key strategic benefit for its vehicles. While the company uses a proprietary port standard, Tesla has always maintained that it is open to sharing the network, provided that other OEMs help share the costs (proportionate to their expected usage), and that the vehicles can withstand the current.

During a presentation last year, Tesla CTO JB Straubel noted that, because Superchargers are so far ahead of other charging technologies, there would be a "negative lead time" associated with becoming interoperable with other standards. Tesla would have to wait for everyone else to catch up.

Niemand (Audi exec) concluded, "I hate to admit it, but Tesla did everything right."
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #151
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, people absolutely hide car2gos.

Also, can someone hide that gigantic picture?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #152
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
No way - look at Car2Go and the lowest common denominator of society that abuses that system. Hiding cars. Multiple accounts for registration. Commuters from Airdrie and the burbs.
Is it hard to find a Car2Go when you need one? If not, what you're talking about isn't actually a problem.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #153
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you hide a car2go? Don't they have GPS on them? Do people park them in their garage?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #154
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yes, people absolutely hide car2gos.

Also, can someone hide that gigantic picture?
Right, but they don't hide so many of them that it hinders the user experience.

As would be the case with supercharging. You'll get some people who abuse it. It won't be most people.

Would you abuse a supercharging station?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #155
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you kidding me? Look at your car2go app during rush hour, and look at all the stashed cars. At least 100 are stashed in parkades or alleys everyday!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #156
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You realize you're allowed to park them in Park Plus parkades...
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #157
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but only in designated areas. So you may enter a Park Plus parkade where your app says that 17 cars are parked, but when you head to the designated areas, there are only 2 or 3. The rest are scattered around the parkade.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #158
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, but only in designated areas. So you may enter a Park Plus parkade where your app says that 17 cars are parked, but when you head to the designated areas, there are only 2 or 3. The rest are scattered around the parkade.
'only 2 or 3'

Well, you can still drive those

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #159
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it hard to find a Car2Go when you need one? If not, what you're talking about isn't actually a problem.
Sounds like you are not a user of Car2Go. Hiding cars is one of the most frustrating things about the service. You walk up to it and the car is not there.

Sad thing is it works - I refuse to go for cars in any of the city parkades. There's nothing more frustrating that having to walk P1-P8 looking for a damn car when it should be on P1 in the designated area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...r2go_vehicles/
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #160
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, who knew people got so negative over Tesla? I think it's exciting to watch this new era come alive in my lifetime.

I imagine it's like when automobiles first started getting developed years and years ago. There was probably a peter12 back then, scoffing at the idea. Why would he sign on for an automobile when he could just ride his trusty horse to his stables, where the age old practice of animal husbandry had given him every kind of horse he needed; Draft horses for hauling/working, Thoroughbreds for his affinity for racing, and of course some Arabians because he liked the way they look. And why would he wait for a car to be built when he can just visit his network of breeders to buy a horse, that his stable didn't have, right there?! Stupid automobiles, they're just going to wreck the roads causing the taxes to go up, scare the horses with their clickity clacking, and stink up the town squares!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote