Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default new bantam football thread

So, after being done with my former organization the Cowboys, and being a bit burned out on football, and coaching, I was content to sit on the sidelines this season. I had packed away my binders and playbooks, and looked at the video of last year one last time before logging out.

Don't get me wrong, I was pretty proud of what I'd achieved and I enjoyed working with the coaches and loved working with the players.

However, last week I was contacted for a coach for another Bantam Program last week. He asked me to take a meeting as he was looking for coaches and he is a new head coach for the program.

I had a good meeting, we talked philosophy and football and coaching for nearly two hours, and I heard a lot of things that I really liked. I heard a different philosophy then what I'd been dealing with over the last few years.

Plus with working from home, I realized that I needed a summer time volunteer philosophy that would get me out of the house and outdoors during the summer months.

During the conversation, I realized that I still think I have something to offer youth football, now I'm not so egotistical to believe that I can save football, or that players will flock to this program. However this program is honestly going to spend the next year developing players and encouraging talent, and that's a challenge that I can get behind.

I know I'm going to be on the offensive side of the ball, whether I'm running an offense or coaching a position I don't know, that's the next discussion.

However one other thing I know, I won't be traveling across the city to do it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep up the good fight Captain, Calgary football needs people like you.

My son is playing in his second year of midget football and it is sad to see the diminishing number of players year over year
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I expect the numbers are going to keep slimming out and its going to become more of a sell job of the coaches and associations with parents in their areas.

I've lost track on the highschool side and they were having some struggles with programs as well, I think there was an emergency meeting in Feb or March but I never heard the results.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Keep up the good fight Captain, Calgary football needs people like you.

My son is playing in his second year of midget football and it is sad to see the diminishing number of players year over year

Thanks!

Can I ask which program just out of curiosity?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

he plays for the bulldogs
Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I know the Bulldog coaches, especially at the Bantam level well, and get along with them really well.

Good luck to your son in Spring ball

Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Guess I'm an offensive coordinator again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Captain I read today that the NFL wants teams to stop the Oklahoma drill, at least early in camp as I understand it. Any thoughts on that?

Is that a drill used in high school, bantam or midget football? Just curious.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I haven't used the Oklahoma drill in years, mainly because it teaches bad habits in terms of head horizontal to the ground.

I don't think it does much at a bantam level.

The other drill that I refuse to use is any kind of pit drill, that just leads to bad things.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And here we go. I think most clubs are having their spring camps over the next couple of weeks. Ours (Colts) is Tuesday, Wed and Thursday of this week and next at the Cardal Rec center. If you're interested in your kid(s) playing football bring them out and sign them up.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So tonight's the end of our spring camp, and I have to say that its been a great experience, and helped me to remember the fun parts of coaching.

First of all, we had a ton of kids show up, which is awesome and makes for a busy camp. The kids are great, beyond the fact that I'm surprised at the level of skill that I'm seeing. But they're fun, they pay attention, they are coachable.

The only shame for me, is that I've been back in the coaching saddle for 6 days and camp ends today until the start of August.

Its weird going from one organization to another one, the culture shift can really take you by surprise and this one is different. I decided that I would only keep coaching if I could have fun with it and the last two weeks has been that way.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump . . . .camps start this week with both teams starting to practice on Thursday leading up to the Jamboree on Aug 17th and the season starting a little earlier the week after that.

For me its weird starting with a whole new team, players and coaches.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good luck on the season Cap
Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bumpity

The season is rapidly approaching, most teams are in their second week of practice.

If you have nothing to do on Saturday, the Bantam and Peewee Jamborees are happening on Saturday at Shouldice starting at 9:30 in the morning. For a few bucks you can get a whole day of football viewing, and the cash really does help out the various football programs and also various charities.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The season kicks off on Saturday down at Shouldice

9:00am Stampeders — vs. Raiders — HELLARD
11:00 0am Colts — vs. Mavericks — HELLARD 1:00pm Lions — vs. Wildcats — HELLARD 1:00pm Hilltoppers — vs. Bulldogs — ENCANA 3:00pm Cowboys — vs. Chiefs — HELLARD 3:00pm Rebels — vs. Eagles — ENCANA

Old 10-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

End of the season for me as the Colts bowed out of the Div 3 playoffs today, it was a rough season in terms of wins and loss, but the offense was improved over last year and there were some good signs of growth overall.

While losing games and some in a lop sided manner isn't fun, especially coming from a winning program, it was fun enough, and today's playoff game was a tight 15-14 loss with the winning field goal being kicked with 7 second left.

Now comes the long season of reflection on whether I want to keep coaching, I will admit that I'm really tired, after 13 weeks of practices a week plus a game a week plus all the hours of film and game planning, I came home and took a really long nap and I'm looking forward to having my evenings back.

But the Colts families, the players and the coaches were great to work with, and the parents were really nice engaged people.

We'll see, after coaching with 4 teams and 13 years, we'll see if I have the drive to do it again.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
Bent Wookie

Such fond memories of Bantam football when I was a kid - 1988 was really my year .

That year got me out of my comfort zone and prepared me for high school.

I regret not going to watch more. Will definitely make it a priority next year.

Good on ya Captain for all the time and hard work you put into it.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

For anyone that's interested, some offensive highlights from the Colts this year

https://twitter.com/user/status/49jytgc3vj4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 12:39 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So with Spring Ball being cancelled, and hearing that if Bantam happens it won't happen to late fall, I don't have any prep or coaching to do.

I was rumbling through my youtube channel and had some highlights and plays from teams I've coached, and thought I'd put them up for anyone that's bored and wants to watch some football action

Calgary Rage 5 years ago. Yeah there's some cheesy stuff at the start and at the end, but its the season highlights from about 5 years ago when I was the DC over there.

From the Cowboys about 4 years ago. I designed a Guard around play, because the kid that played guard was playing his last game in the program and we were trailing late in the game and this was the only way I could think to thank him.

This one was kind of redemption for me, We were trailing by a touchdown and the offense wasn't moving the ball at all. I got my head ripped off by my headcoach, and during an injury time out made an adjustment to 37 toss out of pistol by pulling a linemen. Just before the play was snapped, I walked by my head coach and told him to get the convert team ready. I was lucky it worked

I was so surprised that the defense dropped back so far on this call and the clear out worked so well, that if you listen closely you can hear me dropping an unintentional happy f-bomb on the side lines, and then got lectured about my language by the line judge.

I Actually felt so bad about this play, time was running out, we were blowing them out and all I wanted to do was kill the clock and called a 21 dive, The last thing I ever want to do is rub another teams nose in it.

When I was with the Cowboys, I was always lucky because I always had really good receivers, but the adjustment to this ball was ridonkulous. That QB, eventually became one of the best gunslinging QB's that I've ever coached. We were throwing 75% of the time in his last year.

Really this one ranks as one of my favorite passing plays of all time, Again that Quarterback was such a student of the game and by the time his bantam career ended his arm strength was ridonkulous

I love a good running back screen pass, but I never expect them to do much except make a defense stop blitzing. This was my backup running back who doubled as a fullback, and I loved this kid because he was the most sarcastic kid in the world. He was the ahole that every team needs, but he was also the best team guy and hardest working half skill guy that I ever coached.

I hate horizontal screens and this one was a disaster waiting to happen, but somehow it worked even though I thought when I saw their defense line up that this was a pick 6 in the making

I think I posted this earlier this year. But I moved onto the Colts Bantam team this year. We didn't have the athletes that I had with the Cowboys, and I lost my starting Qb in the third play of week one, and I didn't have fast receivers, and our oline really struggled, I took a lot of pride in that we in week 6 completely re designed our offense to a 3 back set offense for one formation and a spread 6 for another. We also in that week had to take our safety and teach him how to be a QB. The funniest part of this new offense is we had an angel and devil call and a whiskey audible. And one parent didn't like the use of Satan in the playbook and another very nicely asked me to change the whisky call to baby food.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any word on High School football Captain?