Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Weird Laptop Wifi Issue

Hey Guys.

I am having issues with a newish laptop (bought on boxing day).

It connects to the Wifi no problem (google mesh) but randomly just loses internet. It will stay connected to the network, but just won't have internet anymore. I can disconnect from the network and reconnect and its fine or turn off the wifi and on and connect and its fine. I've fiddled with a bunch of settings to no avail.

It only disconnects it seems if using the internet heavily. So downloading something, remoteing into work, etc. Light surfing of the net seems to be fine.

I have reached out to support but have not heard back yet. Figured I would ask here and see if anyone has something I could try.

Wifi Card: Intel Wireless AC 9462

Computer: Asus Vivobook X512F

Thanks!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the issue seemingly correlated to heat? If the laptop is warm does it seem like it happens more?

Updates all the latest?
Ethernet work OK at load?
Does a laptop cooler help to delay the wireless drop off issues?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your Internet connection may be wonky. I have similar issues at home, my tablet or laptop is connected to the router but the Telus connection cuts in and out. Often it happens multiple times in a day.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Your Internet connection may be wonky. I have similar issues at home, my tablet or laptop is connected to the router but the Telus connection cuts in and out. Often it happens multiple times in a day.
Same here with Telus, just an abysmally bad router, been through 3 of them so far, all of them were varying degrees of ####e
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is the issue seemingly correlated to heat? If the laptop is warm does it seem like it happens more?

Updates all the latest?
Ethernet work OK at load?
Does a laptop cooler help to delay the wireless drop off issues?
Updates are fine from i can tell. No Ethernet so can’t check that. Same if I just boot up or on for a long time so I don’t think heat is a part of it.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
It’s Telus, but we have 2 TVs, an Xbox, 2 other laptops and 2 phones all connwcfed to the mesh without interruption so I think it’s strictly the laptop.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Updates are fine from i can tell.
FWIW, they just released an update for the Intel Wireless-AC 9462 in late March and neither Windows Update nor Asus' driver download page list it yet: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...reless-AC-9462

Alternately, try changing the wireless channel that your Google Mesh is using. You can use inSSIDer to check for wireless congestion in your area to make choosing the best possible channel easier. (Here's a guide.)
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
FWIW, they just released an update for the Intel Wireless-AC 9462 in late March and neither Windows Update nor Asus' driver download page list it yet: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...reless-AC-9462

Alternately, try changing the wireless channel that your Google Mesh is using. You can use inSSIDer to check for wireless congestion in your area to make choosing the best possible channel easier. (Here's a guide.)
Thanks I’ll give this a shot in the morning.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Unfortunately neither have worked. I just don't understand unless its strictly a hardware issue.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try turning off TCP offload:

https://support.rackspace.com/how-to...s-server-2012/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:43 AM   #11
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am having the same issue with my MacBook Pro.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

What anti-virus, etc do you guys have?

I had the same issue with my iMac and MacPro.

I ended up removing my VPN (surfshark) and my AVG Antivirus and mysteriously the issues stopped on both units.

I also removed Dropbox, Utorrent, Sync.

So I am not sure which helped, but one of those were messing with my Wifi. I had connection to the internet, it just wouldnt load anything and froze up my UI.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect it may be my mesh system at home.

Still having issues at home, but at the office I have been doing video calls and cruising the internet without any issues. We have a standard router in the office...

Still can't figure out a fix.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have you tried defragmenting your disk?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Have you tried defragmenting your disk?
I haven't thought of that because its only 4 months old with basically nothing on it. But I could give it a try.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #16
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I haven't thought of that because its only 4 months old with basically nothing on it. But I could give it a try.

Sorry. I was beinf facetious there. Back in the day it was a common suggestion by lousy IT people to try and fix a problem. To this day, rebooting solves a lot of minor issues but doubt that is your issue.

If your PC is four months old, most likely it has a SSD, and you never defragment those. Windows shouldn't let you actually.

With the WiFi, it's affected by so many things. You may want to change channels on the router for the Wi-Fi bands. In fact, Wi-Fi is so sensitive they can actually use routers to detect movement in your house.

Sorry about the tongue-in-cheek reply there.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
If your PC is four months old, most likely it has a SSD, and you never defragment those. Windows shouldn't let you actually.
I laughed at the facetious defragmentation suggestion. But on this point, Windows will let you use the Defragmentation tool on an SSD. What it's actually doing isn't defragmenting the drive, however, but running a retrim optimization.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote