Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Physical MacBook (Retina/Air) Security (Making up for no Kensington Lock)

Ah the illusion of security.

Have any MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro owners come across a good method of "securing" your laptop to your desk? By "securing", I basically mean tethering, as the contract requirement I have seems comfortable assuming that would-be thieves don't own high-tech anti-security devices, like side cutters.

I've found plenty of options, but after excluding crazy glue, mods (case panel replacements, etc.), and peripheral ports as locking mechanisms, I'm left with exactly one product (which isn't even available yet). This product appears to be perfect, but I may not be able to wait until it's shipping.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions, sarcastic or otherwise.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

MacLocks makes two different kinds of them for Retina, not sure how good they are though.

http://www.maclocks.com/macbook-pro-...cket-lock.html

http://www.maclocks.com/macbookprolock.html

one is a case with integrated , one is more of a wedge you add on(the first one linked)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Oh man that horizontal dock looks awesome.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
MacLocks makes two different kinds of them for Retina, not sure how good they are though.

http://www.maclocks.com/macbook-pro-...cket-lock.html

http://www.maclocks.com/macbookprolock.html

one is a case with integrated , one is more of a wedge you add on(the first one linked)
Thanks ss - I did see those and I know I'm nitpicky but I'm looking for a solution where I don't need to actually alter the MacBook.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Can you take your laptop with you at the end of the day? Or lock it up if no one else is around in a locked drawer?

There's an app I think I remember that will set off an alarm if the screen is locked and the magsafe is disconnected.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39997/plugspy

There's little difference between unplugging the magsafe and clipping the cable with cutters, and this way it makes a noise.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does that Henge dock physically secure the MacBook, or is the Kensington slot to prevent the dock from being stolen? I don't see in the pictures how it would secure the laptop.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Does that Henge dock physically secure the MacBook, or is the Kensington slot to prevent the dock from being stolen? I don't see in the pictures how it would secure the laptop.
You could be right. My assumption was that the side pieces would insert into the USB/audio ports on either side of the MacBook when you push the "Dock" button, and wouldn't undock without the password.

Quote:
A Kensington Security Slot on the rear of the Horizontal Docking Station not only safeguards the dock, but also adds a layer of physical security to the computer, previously unavailable to the users of the newest MacBook models. After installing a Kensington Lock,the MacBook can be locked in place with a password. Until the lock is removed or the correct password is entered,the undock function is locked out, securing the MacBook.
Doesn't outright say your MacBook is locked but I'm reasonably certain the dock/undock is mechanical...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

@MickMcGeough:

Found it:
Quote:
A Kensington Security Slot on the rear of the Horizontal Docking Station not only safeguards the dock, but also adds a layer of physical security to the computer, previously unavailable to the users of the newest MacBook models. After installing a Kensington Lock,the MacBook can be locked in place with a password.
Until the lock is removed or the correct password is entered,the undock function is locked out, securing the MacBook.
http://hengedocks.com/downloads/heng...ontal_dock.pdf