Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #41
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Why? It's not exactly apple's mantra to keep things backwards compatible.
Because there would be too many pissed off people with docks, etc. that would be useless. My bet is on an adapter from Apple or someone else making an adapter.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #42
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Why? It's not exactly apple's mantra to keep things backwards compatible.
Not always true, they removed ethernet from the newest line of laptops (Air and Pro), but still offer a gigabit ethernet dongle. They also removed the optical drive from the same models but offer a USB drive as an add-on.

I'd say there's also a reasonable hope that Canada would get it on the same day as the states. The iPhone 4 had a delay of 1 month, the iPad 2 had a delay of 2 weeks, but then both the 4S and the iPad 3 released in Canada on the same date. Hopefully that trend continues.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #43
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Several news outlets are now reporting that Apple will announce the iPhone 5 and mini iPad on Sept. 12th with a release date of Sept. 21st.

http://gizmodo.com/5930041/report-ap...e-september-12

Seems like a solid month earlier than most analysts were predicting.
I've seen several places now saying that it is "confirmed" that the next iPhone will be announced on September 12th and released for sale in the US on the 21st. Who knows if that's just a bunch of people quoting each other to come to a consensus or not. Either way, I can't wait to upgrade my 3gs. Having apps crash all the time is getting old.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I've seen several places now saying that it is "confirmed" that the next iPhone will be announced on September 12th and released for sale in the US on the 21st. Who knows if that's just a bunch of people quoting each other to come to a consensus or not. Either way, I can't wait to upgrade my 3gs. Having apps crash all the time is getting old.
Loop Insight confirms at least the Sept. 12th announcement - if Loop Insight will confirm it, it's true, since they don't confirm rumours, and the site's lead, Jim Dalrymple, has numerous solid contacts.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #45
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Sweet. I can't wait to see what this phone is all about. I hope it blows everything else out of the water because I'd love to stay with Apple just for the ease of it all, but I will be going with the best phone on this upgrade whether it's Apple or somebody else.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #46
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love how today people were blowing up Twitter talking about how it was "announced" that it's being released next month and it will be $800 and how that's outrageously expensive... good god. I guess I should just go with the 4s then, I'll just mosey on over to apple.ca and buy one for $849...
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #47
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I hope it blows everything else out of the water
Can it though? The innovation in hardware in mobility is pretty much fixed this generation - high res screens, fast multi core processors, GPS, LTE, good cameras, similar battery life across devices, etc. There hasn't been a breakthrough chipset or battery technology for couple years now.

On the software side, iOS 6 is what it is - the pace of change on the platform has slowed to evolutionary rather than revolutionary (which is fair, it has it's pros and cons, and they have a huge base of apps to consider in terms of compatibility)

It's going to be a great iOS device, and a great phone generally (they all have been) without doubt, but fundamentally you're looking at another iOS device that will work the same as your current iPhone, running the same apps you chose and love on your previous iPhone, once the new form factor novelty wears off.

I could be completely wrong of course, but I think its best to temper expectations - Apple traditionally moves the goal line forward incrementally, with only occasional bursts of massive innovation (the original iPhone, the iPad 1, etc)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #48
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Can it though? The innovation in hardware in mobility is pretty much fixed this generation - high res screens, fast multi core processors, GPS, LTE, good cameras, similar battery life across devices, etc. There hasn't been a breakthrough chipset or battery technology for couple years now.

On the software side, iOS 6 is what it is - the pace of change on the platform has slowed to evolutionary rather than revolutionary (which is fair, it has it's pros and cons, and they have a huge base of apps to consider in terms of compatibility)

It's going to be a great iOS device, and a great phone generally (they all have been) without doubt, but fundamentally you're looking at another iOS device that will work the same as your current iPhone, running the same apps you chose and love on your previous iPhone, once the new form factor novelty wears off.

I could be completely wrong of course, but I think its best to temper expectations - Apple traditionally moves the goal line forward incrementally, with only occasional bursts of massive innovation (the original iPhone, the iPad 1, etc)
Couldn't agree more. When people say they are expecting big things, I often wonder what they want.

Flash is essentially on life support and 99% of sites worth a damn don't use it. Screen size is a personal preference. Passbook seems to be their answer to purchasing goods and services. The camera in the 4S is amazing, so an incremental upgrade there, but you can only go so far before your images are all 6mb. I just don't know what's left to add.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #49
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The biggest reason I didn't get a 4S and waited for the 5 was to get 4G coverage. I do tether my phone occasionally and it would be nice to have that extra bit of speed available.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #50
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The biggest reason I didn't get a 4S and waited for the 5 was to get 4G coverage. I do tether my phone occasionally and it would be nice to have that extra bit of speed available.
Yup, it's one of the reasons why when my phone got messed up, I was offered another Android or the 4S. I seriously considered the 4S but at the end of the day, the LTE on my HTC was just too good to pass up.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

LTE coverage isn't very extensive yet. Every time I manage to get it on my iPad it's 1 bar and not noticeably faster than 3G.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #52
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
LTE coverage isn't very extensive yet. Every time I manage to get it on my iPad it's 1 bar and not noticeably faster than 3G.
Who are you with? Rogers will have it in most major Canadian cities by the end of the year.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #53
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus, it does exist in Calgary, but the level of coverage isn't huge yet.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #54
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Telus, it does exist in Calgary, but the level of coverage isn't huge yet.
It's getting better steadily though - I was shocked to find LTE up at North Pointe bus terminal (Panorama) for example.

I also find that 1 bar of LTE is still vastly better than 5 bars of 3G. For starters, the latency is always 1/3rd less or lower, and I still manage 8-10 megabits throughput bi-directional on LTE with 1 bar.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #55
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

One "feature" I hope they release is their long rumored high-quality music format they've been working on for years. With the supposed new iPod's being released, it would really keep me from moving to the S3 if they could offer a new super format.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #56
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

What can they do? I don't know, but I hope something. Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:
  • A projector
  • A kickstand
  • A scratch-proof, more durable shell (would love to not need a case)
  • Some new way to make the phone small in my pocket, but big when I use it (flip?). I want a bigger screen, but don't like the idea of actually carrying a big phone. I think one of the makers needs to address this and I prefer it to be Apple.
  • USB jump drive port
  • Way better internal speakers
  • Better headphones
  • Super thin
  • Waterproof
  • Replaceable battery
  • A more interesting UI as this one is boring and outdated. It's time for an overhaul. Or at least a few factory template options.

With Apple's billions and so many competitors with comparable/more innovative products, I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for something interesting this time around. Especially since they just coasted with the 4s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #57
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What can they do? I don't know, but I hope something. Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:
  • A projector
  • A kickstand
  • Better headphones
  • Replaceable battery
  • A more interesting UI as this one is boring and outdated. It's time for an overhaul. Or at least a few factory template options.
If Apple delivers any of these things on September 12th, I will buy you one. For real.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #58
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
If Apple delivers any of these things on September 12th, I will buy you one. For real.
Deal!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #59
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Better headphones is the only thing I could see as a possibility of those 5.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #60
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
[*]Some new way to make the phone small in my pocket, but big when I use it (flip?).
Boy, do I have a gently used Motorola RAZR you should buy. I'll let it go for half the price of the 4S even.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: