Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default New iPhone/iPhone5/iPhone 2012 Thread

It's more or less a forgone conclusion that it will have LTE and a larger screen, but some pics of the casing (maybe) have found their way out.

Large Image:
Spoiler!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/29/s...ody-tiny-dock/
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/...cetime-camera/

I really hope that tiny dock connector isn't another proprietary one, but I'm sure it will be. I didn't like any of my current iPhone accessories anyway.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 05-29-2012 at 10:09 AM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

As cool as the new phone will be, I'm far more interested in the next iOS version (6). I can think of a ton of things I want out of that, but only a couple features I want out of the actual hardware.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the love of all things, give me a brightness control outside of the OS
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a developer, I'm hoping that the screen size will remain the same.

It's already annoying to develop graphics for the retina and non-retina screens. Throwing another set of dimensions in there is going to be even more of a hassle.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the screen size will get bigger. The success of big devices like the Note all but confirms it.

Either way, should be a pretty impressive phone. Gotta love what Apple is doing, even if I don't agree with their walled garden approach.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

does anyone know when we can expect an iphone 5? i can't decide whether to upgrade my current phone to the 4s or wait until the 5?
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
As a developer, I'm hoping that the screen size will remain the same.

It's already annoying to develop graphics for the retina and non-retina screens. Throwing another set of dimensions in there is going to be even more of a hassle.
I think it'll be worse this time because not only will it be a new resolution, but it looks like it's a new aspect ratio as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

How soon till one of the developers "lose it" in a bar...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I think it'll be worse this time because not only will it be a new resolution, but it looks like it's a new aspect ratio as well.
Sounds like closer to a 16:9 ratio so I'm sure developers will love that.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the new proposed design, though I have to say I was expecting more for the 5 (yes, I know the design is just a rumor). Given the 5 is supposed to be the next generation, I expected a design overhaul, so if this is in fact the case, I'll be a little disappointed as I've held out for about 2 years for this. iOS6 better blow anything else out of the water, because Jelly Bean has apparently caught up.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh. All I want in the 5 is:
(A) A better GPS than this crap thing in the 3GS (apparently on Monday during my run to work from Kanata to downtown, I apparently swam across the Ottawa river FOUR TIMES!! I don't even remember getting wet!!)
(B) LTE. I start looking something up on the iPhone, get frustrated with the speed, chuck it on the desk, rummage through my messenger bag, get out the iPad, make my search, find and read what I am looking for and the 3GS still has the spinning wheel going.

I don't really care about "design". Actually, if they keep it exactly the same I'd be happiest. I have several armbands for jogging that fit snuggly around the 3GS and I've tried the 4 and it fits nicely in the armbands. So if they left it with the same dimensions (which sounds not likely) it would be best for me.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

As I've said prior in the thread, the 5 isn't really on my radar. However, if it had an improved wifi antenna or could handle 802.11n I'd be incredibly tempted. My 4s just doesn't behave like my iPad does in terms of wifi stability. Airplaying from the iPhone and the iPad is two totally different experiences.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I really hope that tiny dock connector isn't another proprietary one, but I'm sure it will be. I didn't like any of my current iPhone accessories anyway.
Brutal if that is in fact what it is.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
As I've said prior in the thread, the 5 isn't really on my radar. However, if it had an improved wifi antenna or could handle 802.11n I'd be incredibly tempted. My 4s just doesn't behave like my iPad does in terms of wifi stability. Airplaying from the iPhone and the iPad is two totally different experiences.
I'm not sure what you mean there... I'm pretty sure the iPhone has supported 802.11n since it first came to Canada with the 3G. Am I miss-interpreting something?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It supports 802.11n but only the 2.4 GHz band. Hopefully the new iPhone will work with 5 GHz like the iPad does.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Brutal if that is in fact what it is.
Brutal that it's replacing the existing connector format, or that it might be their own interface again?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I'm done with the iPhone platform. Unless the 5 blows me away hardware wise, I'll be moving to a different device, hopefully Windows based. iOS is stagnant, becoming a little more annoying to use as the days go buy, and uninspiring. Even knowing the iOS 6 news and new features, I'm still meh. I've enjoyed using them, both my 3G and 4, but am nearing the time to step off this ride.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I think I'm done with the iPhone platform. Unless the 5 blows me away hardware wise, I'll be moving to a different device, hopefully Windows based. iOS is stagnant, becoming a little more annoying to use as the days go buy, and uninspiring. Even knowing the iOS 6 news and new features, I'm still meh. I've enjoyed using them, both my 3G and 4, but am nearing the time to step off this ride.
I thought like you. Bored with Apple, the whole thing. Bought a Galaxy S3. Had it for four days before realizing the iPhone's total package and ease of use is still vastly superior to the 'best' handsets its competition puts out.

iOS may have its issues but it is an infinitely more pleasant experience than Android.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The big downside of switching is platform investment, and I don't have a lot of apps but the thought of re-buying even some of them really makes me not want to switch platforms.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The big downside of switching is platform investment, and I don't have a lot of apps but the thought of re-buying even some of them really makes me not want to switch platforms.
I still have an iPad so I'd still use a lot of those Apps, but yeah, there would definitely be some repurchasing for sure. The biggest one I can think of that I use regularly and would hurt to re-buy is TomTom.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote