Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Once Apple "invents" a similar product you guys will be all over it. I think this is pretty clearly the future, just need to get the hardware down to fit invisibly inside regular size glasses and contacts.
Why so sensitive? And what do you mean by you guys?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Google doesn't make products, they make ways to deliver the product to market. That product is you.

If this tech takes off, Google will happily use it to sell even more information about you. If it doesn't take off, they'll get bored of it, and consumers will be left with yet another piece in a long line of Google abandonware.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #23
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages
Once Apple "invents" a similar product you guys will be all over it. I think this is pretty clearly the future, just need to get the hardware down to fit invisibly inside regular size glasses and contacts.
To be fair, if apple had invented it, this wouldn't be a concept video but an actual product announced at a keynote. It would be available in stores starting tomorrow for $599.

People are talking about this. Look at the front pages of sites like techmeme, engadget and slashdot. It's not as widespread as talk about the latest iPhone or iPad but those are real products. Until it's released, this will remain within the realm of tech fantasy.

That said, this kind of technology is definitely the future. Until someone ships, the exact implementation is anyone's game. Hopefully the notifications appear to the side instead of in the center of the screen though, otherwise I also foresee a lot of accidents! It's not so much 'technology getting out of the way' as Google describes it as seamless integration of our real world lives and technology.

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-07-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google plays a different role in the tech world than Apple. Google shows us videos of technologies they see people wanting to use, and Apple releases products they see people wanting to use.

Both are important in my opinion, but one is much easier to get excited about than the other.

Also, the people in here already jumping on Apple sound incredibly insecure.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Google plays a different role in the tech world than Apple. Google shows us videos of technologies they see people wanting to use, and Apple releases products they see people wanting to use.

Both are important in my opinion, but one is much easier to get excited about than the other.
97% of Google's profit is from advertising. They aren't a tech company, I'd argue, they are a high-technology advertising company, with lots of proprietary technology back-ending that business.

There is very little, in my opinion, that Google does that is transformative or disruptive in the tech marketplace or that moves things forward, at least in recent years.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

sclitheroe, I agree with almost everything you're saying, Google is really an ad company and their tech is driven by that reality. However, I would say they have a very disruptive presence in tech. They're basically a multi-billion dollor Linux company (Android, ChromeOS, search, etc), Google+ forced Facebook to make some important changes (now you can take your data out of facebook) which is a win for users, Google Hangouts is much better quality than Skype which will force Skype to get better or lose more users, the success of Android preventing Apple from having a Microsoft-like monopoly in the mobile space. Google does a lot questionable things, and the whole 'don't be evil' thing is little more than a joke now, but I don't see how you can say they aren't/haven't disrupted the tech world.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post

Also, the people in here already jumping on Apple sound incredibly insecure.
Well, the person jumping on Apple was in response to one of the biggest Apple supporters on the forum trolling the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
To be fair, if apple had invented it, this wouldn't be a concept video but an actual product announced at a keynote. It would be available in stores starting tomorrow for $599.
If Apple had done this they would have bought the tech from another company, removed it from the App stored, slapped an "S" the new product and sell it as magical.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 04-07-2012 at 11:53 AM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Well, the person jumping on Apple was in response to one of the biggest Apple supporters on the forum trolling the thread.

If Apple had done this they would have bought the tech from another company, removed it from the App stored, slapped an "S" the new product and sell it as magical.
Posting parody of vapourware is trolling? No one mentioned Apple until QuadCityImages insecure ramblings, now this thread is wildly off topic.

Google didn't 'invent' this anyways, Robocop did and the Vorta perfected it in DS9. It's just a HUD for a cell phone and does anyone really want to be seen walking around in busted up Geordi Laforge glasses?

Last edited by Barnes; 04-07-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wasn't trying to derail the whole thread, as always happens, but it was kind of noticeable that it was 3 anti-Google folks that came in and posted 3 anti-Glass videos. There was surely a similar reaction in the first iPad thread when some anti-Apple person posted the famous picture of 4 iPod Touches duct-taped together.

It was more of a, "I think this kind of thing will be as commonplace in 10-15 years as touchscreens are today" kind of thing. Whether Google gets it out as a working product, or Apple comes in and makes the little tweaks/marketing that brings it into the mainstream, I think this is where we're heading.

As far as Google not innovating, it seems like a strange thing to say about a company that's a leading innovator in voice-recognition, autonomous vehicles and data center tech, along with apparently working on space elevators (wtf?). Or notification bars...
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Posting parody of vapourware is trolling? No one mentioned Apple until QuadCityImages insecure ramblings, now this thread is wildly off topic.
When it's Fanin80, yeah.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If this was an Apple idea and product, Fanin80 would have started it, and it would be 30+ pages by now.
and still have bloody hipsters in the commercial.

Google, I am disappoint.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don't know, I think the video's pretty funny. I'm not sure what the big deal is. You guys do remember that Google makes their money by selling advertising space, right?

Lighten up.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #33
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
a leading innovator in voice-recognition, autonomous vehicles and data center tech, along with apparently working on space elevators (wtf?). Or notification bars...
How have they done anything innovative with voice-recognition?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #34
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
and still have bloody hipsters in the commercial.

Google, I am disappoint.
It reminded me a lot of the Microsoft Courier concept video.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #35
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
It reminded me a lot of the Microsoft Courier concept video.
That video was a cool concept. I started the thread here on it even though I am such a Fanboi.

Now if you all will excuse me, I have to go cash my adsense cheques.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
How have they done anything innovative with voice-recognition?
I could send a txt, e-mail, search, etc with Google Voice on my Nexus S before the 4s.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #37
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't like the idea of always being connected to technology, at all. It will end real human interactions, I see it enough where I'll walk down the halls filled with people and none of them will be talking, all of them poking at their phones.

Last edited by vektor; 04-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #38
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
I don't like the idea of always being connected to technology, at all. It will end real human interactions, I see it enough where I'll walk down the halls filled with people and none of them will be talking, all of them poking at their phones.
You're head must buried in your phone not to notice that already happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a barebones phone purely for that purpose, so I can carry a conversation without staring at a screen ever minute. Drives me crazy going to coffee or a bar and someone will stare at their phone the whole time
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #40
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
People said the same thing about the web in the 90's, they said it about TV and radio before that, once upon a time they said telephones made people far too connected. Somehow people have managed to cope.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milt Schmidt For This Useful Post: