Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:
Default Speed up computer

I was having some issues on one of my PCs and I followed these instructions which made a significant difference:

http://geekbeat.tv/tutorial-how-to-d...ogle-tracking/

Might be worth trying.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've been doing most of what is suggested already. I find google very invasive but then I'm an old fart who values his on line privacy. It seems a lot of the younger generation is on a different wave length and is ready to share every fart they take.

I also use Do Not Track Me which may make some difference I guess, along with Cookie Monster, Better Privacy and Ad Block Plus. They may or may not speed up my computer.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel the same Vulcan. I fear the "younger generation" will be sorry one day.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the people that track you online, I think Google is the least you have to worry about.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought this was a reference to that infomercial to speed up your computer...
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I was having some issues on one of my PCs and I followed these instructions which made a significant difference:

http://geekbeat.tv/tutorial-how-to-d...ogle-tracking/

Might be worth trying.
What kind of issues were you having that you figure this would have any impact on?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How turning off Google tracking will "speed up computer" is beyond me. And I am pretty tech savvy.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're really concerned about online privacy, you should be behind seven proxies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
How turning off Google tracking will "speed up computer" is beyond me. And I am pretty tech savvy.
Well in principle if something is being tracked, that means that information is being gathered and stored somewhere, and performing those operations will take up resources (execute some extra code, store the information somewhere, etc).

Depending on the kind of tracking that code and storage may happen on Google's server or on the local machine, so how much benefit to the user there is will probably depend on the details of what it is.

Google does enough stuff it's possible that there'd be some things done in the browser in JS that sends info to the server that on a really old slow computer turning it off might have a bit of an impact. In theory anyway.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Well in principle if something is being tracked, that means that information is being gathered and stored somewhere, and performing those operations will take up resources (execute some extra code, store the information somewhere, etc).

Depending on the kind of tracking that code and storage may happen on Google's server or on the local machine, so how much benefit to the user there is will probably depend on the details of what it is.

Google does enough stuff it's possible that there'd be some things done in the browser in JS that sends info to the server that on a really old slow computer turning it off might have a bit of an impact. In theory anyway.
Granpa's going to regret running only 128 MB of EDO on his K6-2.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I also use Do Not Track Me which may make some difference I guess, along with Cookie Monster, Better Privacy and Ad Block Plus.
I love that Google or whomever is not to be trusted, but there is this implicit assumption that these kinds of tools, which mostly deprive other companies of revenue, are any more secure or private. Without a code audit and network tracing, it's impossible to know what any of those tools are communicating back to their respective motherships, or how that data is being used and sold.

AdBlock Plus is somewhat excused in this regard as it's open source and more easily audited, but I have a whole 'nother set of reservations about using tools like that; mainly that it deprives content producers of revenue needed to keep their sites running, which in turn forces them to find other ways of monetizing your patronage that are no doubt less transparent in the end than just serving up ads.

I'm not singling you out, or your choice of tools, I just find the whole situation ironic.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I love that Google or whomever is not to be trusted, but there is this implicit assumption that these kinds of tools, which mostly deprive other companies of revenue, are any more secure or private. Without a code audit and network tracing, it's impossible to know what any of those tools are communicating back to their respective motherships, or how that data is being used and sold.

AdBlock Plus is somewhat excused in this regard as it's open source and more easily audited, but I have a whole 'nother set of reservations about using tools like that; mainly that it deprives content producers of revenue needed to keep their sites running, which in turn forces them to find other ways of monetizing your patronage that are no doubt less transparent in the end than just serving up ads.

I'm not singling you out, or your choice of tools, I just find the whole situation ironic.
I just find that google has become more invasive as time goes on. That other tools may be just as bad as what I'm trying to block, may be true also but I try.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Granpa's going to regret running only 128 MB of EDO on his K6-2.
Looks to the left.

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post

Sometimes I feel bad about using ABP, but then I go on someone else's PC that doesn't use it, surf to an innocuous forum (like CP), and get an ad-injected malware warning, and then I don't feel so bad.

Quote: