Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #41
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will be setting my slingbox up again sometime this week! It is going to have its own shaw portal so should be interesting to see if I can get full integration on it
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #42
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just set up my box anyone not having a feed for game want to test it out?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #43
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know how to get this to work with the Shaw Gateway remote?

From what i searched they dont support it yet. Are there any ways around this?

Thanks for your help in advance
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #44
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=9931
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #45
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bit of a bump but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

Been looking at a Slingbox set up recently. I like the idea of being able to stream my home TV where ever I am.

I was wondering if the option to get it to another TV is possible though?

A tablet, PC or phone is fine at times but what hardware could I use to put my Slingbox media on another TV is I need to do so?

The set up is Shaw Gateway.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #46
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apple TV and an Ipad capable of mirroring would work I believe? Or laptop with video out. Those are the two that comes to mind slingbox really hasn't done a good job partnering with companies to make it easier
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #47
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

PC output to TV is the most obvious option.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #48
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

mmm hmmmmmmm

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #49
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use a wdtv live box that has a slingbox app, connected to my TV. It works....ok. Controlling things is extremely slow (huge lag), and the stream isn't as stable as the ipad. But it does work.

Pc to TV would work too, just a little clumsy. You know, fire up laptop, plug it in to tv, get the input set, and watch. And if you want to change channels or whatever, you have to go screw with the laptop.

The ipad app on the other hand has generally a more stable picture, better quality, and faster response to button pushes on the virtual remote. Still lag, but not as much. If the wdtv worked as well I'd be quite pleased...as it is I would rate the wdtv sling as merely ok.

Oh, and I am using a higher speed telus Internet, as it had 3mb upload speed.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #50
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Oh, and I am using a higher speed telus Internet, as it had 3mb upload speed.
This is key for decent slingbox viewing. I only have 500 kbps up at my house and I probably don't use my slingbox as much as I would if I had a faster upload speed. However if I am using the slingbox at home the picture quality is amazing as everything is going over my LAN.

And it does happen at home. My son will ask my to play Xbox with him while a Flames game is on- so I fire up the iPad to be able to keep an eye on the game.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #51
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too use the Slingbox on the iPad at home, especially if I am trying to keep an eye on a game while doing something else. Or in the garage, or example.

I have a Boxee Box, which is now discontinued, but there is a SlingPlayer app for that. The experience, however, is a lot like Ryan Coke describes on the WDTV. Laggy and cumbersome to control. The stream itself is fine though, and it works well enough to put the game on the bedroom TV where we don't have a cable box. I'd get annoyed if I used it more than occasionally though.

In theory, like fundmark19 suggests, Airplay from an iPad (or even an iPhone) to an Apple TV should work. Or even Airplay from a Mac laptop or desktop to the TV. Although having a device as a "middle man" is always more of a hassle.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #52
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I too use the Slingbox on the iPad at home, especially if I am trying to keep an eye on a game while doing something else. Or in the garage, or example.

I have a Boxee Box, which is now discontinued, but there is a SlingPlayer app for that. The experience, however, is a lot like Ryan Coke describes on the WDTV. Laggy and cumbersome to control. The stream itself is fine though, and it works well enough to put the game on the bedroom TV where we don't have a cable box. I'd get annoyed if I used it more than occasionally though.

In theory, like fundmark19 suggests, Airplay from an iPad (or even an iPhone) to an Apple TV should work. Or even Airplay from a Mac laptop or desktop to the TV. Although having a device as a "middle man" is always more of a hassle.
Yeah, I have to agree too. I can't think of any way it would be a satisfying experience on a tv. I love it on my laptop, phone and tablet, but would not buy it for that purpose.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slingbox used to have a device for this exact purpose called a Sling Catcher. It was an additional box that you'd buy that would go on a TV, and it came with a remote for controlling. I'm not sure whether the experience would be any better than Boxee/WDTV or any of those, however. A moot point anyway, as it has been off of the market for a number of years.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #54
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I don't understand is that they have a great product but they don't do anything to make it a must have product. With a little bit of development they could make the slingbox a must have product for every house hold. Develop good working apps for PS3 xbox and 3rd party media centers. Work with tv manufactures to get it built into smart tv's. It has so much potential and yet the last 5 years they have stayed stagnant. Also their customer service is terrible they could use a revamp of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #55
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Slingbox will become irrelevant in the next 3-5 years. Most service providers will have some kind of service anywhere as well as accessing PVR contents on the go. It's already starting with the channel specific apps that allow you to stream most of the recent content, including live content such as the Sunday Ticket App.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #56
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
I think Slingbox will become irrelevant in the next 3-5 years. Most service providers will have some kind of service anywhere as well as accessing PVR contents on the go. It's already starting with the channel specific apps that allow you to stream most of the recent content, including live content such as the Sunday Ticket App.
It will be relevant as long as some channeles are reluctant to go to streaming. Sports are the big holdout for me. Local RSNs don't seem interested in offering streaming any time soon. NHL Center Ice wants to charge you double if you want tv and streaming. Local NFL isn't moving towards streaming any time soon. Although ESPN puts everything out there as long as you pay for their TV channels.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #57
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
What I don't understand is that they have a great product but they don't do anything to make it a must have product. With a little bit of development they could make the slingbox a must have product for every house hold. Develop good working apps for PS3 xbox and 3rd party media centers. Work with tv manufactures to get it built into smart tv's. It has so much potential and yet the last 5 years they have stayed stagnant. Also their customer service is terrible they could use a revamp of it.
This is what I was hoping for too... but with the last couple of answers I think I'll pass on slingbox.

Can't believe they don't have Apps for gaming systems or smart TV's. You have to buy Apps for each of your device too. If you have an iPad you have to buy the Slingbox app for 15 bucks... want to watch it on your iPhone? That's another 15 bucks. How aren't these things just included in the price?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The app is only $15 now? I paid $30 for it about 18 months ago.

However my issue with the app was the support for it ends after 1 year. So after one of their updates ended up causing a new bug, I was told I had to pay if I wanted somebody to look at it. I've had better support from free or $1 apps.

It's one thing to charge a premium price; however you should be providing at least average service.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #59
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It will be relevant as long as some channeles are reluctant to go to streaming. Sports are the big holdout for me. Local RSNs don't seem interested in offering streaming any time soon. NHL Center Ice wants to charge you double if you want tv and streaming. Local NFL isn't moving towards streaming any time soon. Although ESPN puts everything out there as long as you pay for their TV channels.
Yes, but couldn't cable boxes offer this service quite easily?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #60
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually jail broke my iPad just so I could steal the slingbox app because I didnt want to pay them for it when I needed it for a weekend. I can't stand how they force you to pay for support