Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

This brings back the memories of seeing Phantom Menace there when I was a kid
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #1802
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

It makes me feel old when people say they saw "Phantom Menace as a kid". I remember when the Palace was an actual movie theatre and I saw A New Hope and The Empire Strikes back there. I also remember seeing Gremlins at Studio 82 on Heritage Drive right across the street from Bonsai.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #1803
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I remember when the Chinook movie theatre was where the food courts are now. The one that showed Raiders of the Lost Ark for 90 straight weeks.
I'm pretty sure Raiders played at the Palace close to 2 years also. My mom watched it with her friend and then she took me a year and a half later to watch it there.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #1804
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
It makes me feel old when people say they saw "Phantom Menace as a kid". I remember when the Palace was an actual movie theatre and I saw A New Hope and The Empire Strikes back there. I also remember seeing Gremlins at Studio 82 on Heritage Drive right across the street from Bonsai.
My mom took me there to New Hope (maybe one of the first movies I ever saw in a theater). She says my eyes were wide as saucers the whole time. I went home and pretended I was Luke shooting down enemies from the Falcon. "Great kid. Don't get cocky".
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #1805
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My mom took me there to New Hope (maybe one of the first movies I ever saw in a theater). She says my eyes were wide as saucers the whole time. I went home and pretended I was Luke shooting down enemies from the Falcon. "Great kid. Don't get cocky".
I also remember going to see The Black Stallion at the Palace, pretended to ride a horse all the way back home.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #1806
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I saw the entire original trilogy at the Palace. I remember when Empire was new they were showing a double header of Star Wars and Empire, and when Empire started a few people in the theater started yelling in anger because they thought the theater was just showing Star Wars again. They finally shut up when the title crawl started.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #1807
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I remember seeing a Nightmare On Elm Street at the Palace. Some employees dressed up as Freddie Kruger and would sneak up behind female customers during the movie and scare them by putting the plastic finger knives to their throats and scream "How do you like me now!" Of course the women would scream and the audience would laugh.

As kid my sister and I would go to Studio 82 for Saturday afternoon movies. Also saw the original 2001 A Space Odyssey there.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #1808
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soooo old.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #1809
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hell I remember when we didn't even call it New Hope

Star Wars baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes saw it there too
(Palace)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #1810
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did they have bikini waitresses back then?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #1811
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Soooo old.
Aged to perfection
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #1812
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
It makes me feel old when people say they saw "Phantom Menace as a kid".
The Phantom Menace came out before I was born.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #1813
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
But still has the power to haunt you.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #1814
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's coming together for me now.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #1815
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This is a massive rabbit hole. I knew of the 1924 imagery a whiole back, which was cool enough, but now all of these additional layers? There goes my productivity today.

Things like Baker Park, and the Baker Sanatorium that stood there before. You can see clearly on modern images where the tree lines were, but being able to overlay the old buildings is cool.

Plus seeing what used to be on/near where my house is, my folks' house, my old schools, etc. is so neat.

Mount Royal University / Lincoln Park air base / Currie Barracks is another cool area.

So much to see. I have always enjoyed history and also maps/cartography, so this is so good, yet soooo bad.
you should try this site, too.
some awesome pictures, maps and blueprints
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/index.html

Peel's Prairie Provinces is a resource dedicated to assisting scholars, students, and researchers of all types in their exploration of western Canadian history and the culture of the Canadian prairies.

This website contains both an online bibliography of books, pamphlets, and other materials related to the development of the Prairies, as well as a searchable full-text collection of many of these items. As of Summer 2013, after 10 years worth of additions, Peel contains approximately 7,500 digitized books, over 66,000 newspaper issues (4.8 million articles!), 16,000 postcards, and 1,000 maps
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #1816
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I would love to be able to visit pre-boom and pre-me Calgary in the 1970s. While I genuinely love Calgary in the present day, Calgary of the early to mid-seventies would have been a fascinating place in hindsight. Dusty old frontier town with a lot of its old buildings intact, right on the cusp of the first oil boom.
Lol, "first oil boom". The first boom was in the 1910s, after oil was found in Turner Valley! And the '70s were the boom times, not the '80s; everybody was going bust in the '80s.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #1817
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 02-22-2020, 11:40 PM   #1818
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I honestly think Saskatoon is the closest thing to 1970s downtown Calgary I have seen. Granted I was born here late 70s, but the vibe is similar.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 AM   #1819
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #1820
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was looking through some pictures of me as a young kid and I found one from Calgary. Just a bit of a background we only lived in Calgary for 3-4 years I believe from late 80's to summer of 1992. When I moved I would of been 6 years old but surprisingly I have some decent memories of my time in Calgary as a very young kid.

We rented a place in Albert Park which I realize now is kinda a bad part of town. I took a walk there maybe 5-8ish years ago and I did not realize how sketchy it was. Anyways some of my memories.....

1) Going to school at Albert Park School??? I think was the name. I only went there for kindergarten but I remember there was big rainbow on the side of the school and a big school yard. My older brother went to the school a bit further east, kinda a circle looking school. Looking on updated google earth it looks like the old school was torn down and some condos/apartments are there now. I remember going to I think it was a Co-Op at a strip mall close to our house and being dropped off at the supervised drop off while my mom shopped.

2) Sledding by Max Bell arena....there was a hill somewhere west of our townhouse I remember my dad taking me too. For some reason I think it was overlooking Max Bell arena. I also remember going to Max Bell arena for a circus of some sort and just walking the upper concourse.

3) Rubber Duck Floating race??? I remember a day where all these little rubber ducks were released in the river for some kind of contest. I am assuming if your duck won the race you got some money

3) Hot Air Balloons.....Another odd memory. I remember a certain day where there was all kinds of hot air balloons in the sky.

4) Drive in movie theater......this is a foggy memory. All I remember was being in the car watching a movie somewhere. I also have a very foggy memory of watching "the little mermaid" in a regular theater

5) Riley Park wading pool......I do remember going here and being very young. Apparently one time I fell and bumped my head and my mom made me wear a helmet at the pool after that.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time