Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Buying First Computer for Kids

Hey all, we’ve been back and forth on what computer(s) to buy for our kids for Christmas and it just occurred to me CP is probably a great place to get some opinions, so please feel free to share yours.

Two daughters aged 7 & 9, would probably start off mostly using it as a Minecraft machine as they love that crap on WiiU but are frustrated my it’s limitations. Now, if I knew it will only be used for that, I have no interest in buying one but obviously I will be coaxing them to use it for its numerous other abilities and hope they become quite savvy with it. Saying that comes with a certain amount of concern as well though as my worst case scenario imagination gets carried away with thoughts of online predators and bullies, but I believe knowledge is power and the amount they can learn outweighs the potential risks. So first question, am I wrong? Or silly to even worry about that?

That aside, what I’d really like opinions on are a few questions;
1) Laptop or desktop?
2) One $500-$700 unit for the both of them to fight over but share? Or two $250-$350 units so they can play and learn at same time?
3) Brands to focus on/stay away from?
4) How closely does a parent monitor their social circles online? And, any tips on how to possibly make it quick and easy to do so in order to save time and minimize the intrusion of privacy?

I really don’t want to be the parent that reads everything they’re doing and doesn’t give them their space, but I think it’s important to have SOME knowledge of who they’re talking to and what about.

Anything else you can think of is more than welcome to hear as well. Thanks in advance if you are one to reply!
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just my opinion, but at this age just get a cheap desktop computer for them.

As they grow older you will probably have to shell out money for a laptop for each of them for school work. Might as well start saving the money now.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Buying First Computer for Kids

The easiest/best way to keep track of what they're doing on the computer is to just have it in the open. They're far less likely to get into stuff they shouldn't if a parent can just look over and see what they're doing. As opposed to hidden in their room or in the basement or a less traffic area.

Something like Disney Circle can be good too to limit time and track usage, it's not just about trusting them but doing a reasonable level of protecting.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Open DNS is great/free resource to keep young kids from running into trouble online.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For a computer, a desktop is cheaper than a comparable laptop, Minecraft isn't like some games but still does require some oomph to play decently.

I think it's reasonable to be aware of online bullies and predators, but it's easy to overstate that risk. Really they're far more likely to be abused by someone they know and trust rather than a random stranger.

That said it still makes sense to take precautions and be aware of what they're doing. Do some research and thinking and have a bit of a plan around when and how they can get into things like twitter or other social media.

And to be honest I think a phone or tablet is far more risky a device than a computer, a computer can more easily monitored or limited, but with phones with the built in cameras and Internet access and apps it's really easy for kids to get into situations or do things where the phone makes it super easy to do but the parent would probably limit if they were even aware.

I know many parents who were unaware their kids had a youtube channel where they uploaded videos of themselves, or a musical.ly account, or were livestreaming on twitter or YouNow. The risk of a predator doing something by finding them via a live broadcasting app is really low, but the greater risk is strangers coercing them into doing something or exposing them to something; they'll be livestreaming on twitter with hundreds of people watching and talking to them, telling them to do things, they'll ask for their Snapchat or Instagram or whatever, trying to get into a private 1 on 1 interaction with them, etc. Very little physical risk, but who wants some dude halfway around the world asking their kid to flash or sending them dick pics?

Anyway, point being is I think parents should be as aware of their kids' activities online as much as they are aware of their real life activities; maybe even moreso because you don't accidentally end up in the basement of Chicken on the Way but you can easily accidentally do the online equivalent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

A Chromebook is a great option at that age, not sure you can play Minecraft on it though. A lot of the schools are using them now and kids are saving their work in Google Docs, so it would allow them to do school work at home and is cheaper than a laptop.

As Photon said though, the most important thing regardless of what you get them is monitoring use.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote