Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #41
hariton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I read them. Keep the freely flowing chapters, improvise,,easier for You.
hariton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #42
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the games didn't end so late in my time zone, I'd be interested in doing them. That being said, I no longer have time to do the GDTs anymore either, so I'm not sure I would have the time anyway.

I think there are some great writers on this site that are too afraid to put themselves out there. I encourage you to try this out and see what you come up with.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #43
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo, I personally love reading your analysis in whatever form you put out there.

If the game takes are becoming a grind, I'd gladly read whatever format/ideas you have more time and interest for.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #44
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bingo, thank you so much for doing all the game takes over the years. I read all of them and really appreciate all your hard work!
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #45
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If the games didn't end so late in my time zone, I'd be interested in doing them. That being said, I no longer have time to do the GDTs anymore either, so I'm not sure I would have the time anyway.

I think there are some great writers on this site that are too afraid to put themselves out there. I encourage you to try this out and see what you come up with.
Well on this note, I'd like to offer my help for any games over this extended road trip. The games should start and end early enough for me to get all my other affairs in order.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #46
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, while I can appreciate the effort that goes into them, I haven't read a gametake in months..if not years. I find them redundant as they mostly rehash things that we read about in the PGT, and the font size and general layout is hard on the eyes.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #47
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariton View Post
I read them. Keep the freely flowing chapters, improvise,,easier for You.
This!

I'll keep going, but with a less regimented format that keeps the Odds and Ends section alive in a more fluid piece.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really appreciate it!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
FFF
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Been reading them for 10-15 years. Like others I really appreciate the work. I think you already came to a decision (the right one from my perspective, I might add), but since you asked, I thought I'd add my thoughts as well.

Like many others it seems, the Odds and Ends section is what I like the most. What kind of a feel did the game have, how did Jankowski do, what about Jagr, what's wrong with the PK, what you think the game says more generally about the Flames, where's the season going... these kinds of observations are gold. I always look at the three stars as well (though a less structured section of who had a good game and who didn't would work as well, I guess). I personally don't need anybody to describe the goals (I'll just see the highlights myself), periods or the flow, nor do I usually look at the stats.

Anyway, whatever you do from here on, it's been a pleasure reading your work. Thanks, man.
"And when the moment came -- they ran away from the word of dishonor, but on the battlefield their feet stood fast, and in an instant, at the height of their fortune, they passed away from the scene, not of their fear, but of their glory." - Thucydides, the Peloponnesian War
FFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I appreciate how I've been put forward to help with the game takes in this thread but I really wouldn't have time for them. I already do them for Fireside Chat and even then I sometimes struggle to get those done. So while I appreciate the thoughts, I couldn't.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the odds and ends portion the best - the I read the whole thing. But streamlining down to the stats and odds and ends might be best?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #51
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
To be honest, while I can appreciate the effort that goes into them, I haven't read a gametake in months..if not years. I find them redundant as they mostly rehash things that we read about in the PGT, and the font size and general layout is hard on the eyes.
I'm at the age now where I "ctrl-shift-+" just about every page I have to read The last couple of years, and my eyes just don't deal with low-level light so well.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #52
RedHotC
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm honestly not sure enough people even read them any more
I do! It's great as well when one is out of the country. Thank you Bingo, I really enjoy reading these. If it has to go, too bad, and I will miss these, but I can understand why.
RedHotC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHotC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #53
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been reading the odds and ends for many years prior to joining.

But its understandable, getting busy that is.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #54
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say if you don't have time to do them for every game, do them when or if you can or want to. If someone misses the rest enough they may propose doing them themselves.

This is from the perspective of someone who only reads the occasional game takes though (typically if I didn't watch the game... I find they're great for that since we seem to have similar opinions on most things Flames)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #55
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I read em all, top to bottom - they're my most reliable and enjoyable post game ritual. If you've had enough, I can completely respect that, so I'll just say thank you very much for all you've put into them over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #56
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sorry you had to sit through 60 min of tonight's horrendous joke of a game.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #57
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I find your games takes a voice of reason when compared to what I read in the PGT's.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #58
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having done them here for a few years myself back when, it’s a labour of love personally, because it really adds very little to the site in the big picture, frankly. It’s a lot of work to write, and write properly, and add something more to what everyone watched in TV and/or heard from the commentators, never mind the discussion already having been going on here already. Then to get it out ASAP, while a PGT is in full flight, and add some value to the discussion, is a losing battle to provide anything new.

Those who got fired up through the GT, that then spills into the PGT, you’re not going to change any minds, as usually the PGT is multiple pages long before the game takes get up. Things like analyzing ice time and other interesting stats get researched, and the game flow is written up with analysis made, takes a while to do right.

While it’s more balanced and reasonable then most of the PGT, it’s also that much later so peoples minds are made up, or the gist of the game has been discussed for a few pages of posts.

Gotta do what you gotta do Bingo. I’m surprised it’s lasted as long as it has so good on you.

Last edited by browna; 11-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 AM   #59
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm honestly not sure enough people even read them any more
I read each one... and appreciate them very much. The PGT is jist too much chaos, and not nearly level headed enough.

My favorite part of the game takes is the odds and ends section. The period by period recap is great if I've missed the game, but less important when I have watched the game.

I totally understand not being able to do it due to all of life's other responsibilities. But if they continue, I'll be grateful. Maybe skip the ones that you don't watch live?

At any rate, thank you Bingo for all you have done and do continue to do.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #60
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I only read the game takes and stay out of the PGT's myself except to post my two cents on the last page then not reappear again in the PGT. (are my posts technically drive bys?). People asses the entire season based on the last 7 minutes of play in the PGT. Love the game takes, much bigger picture view and what keeps me coming back to the site.

Last edited by gunnner; 11-16-2017 at 10:06 AM.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post: