Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #141
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Choked. Plain and simple. The foul call lost a game that had no business being close in the first place.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #142
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The turnovers killed us tonight. The lack of experience out there really hurt, and you could see guys forcing it on offense all night. It was a tough situation for the young guys after hardly being challenged all tournament outside of game 1.

Hopefully they regroup and come back strong in the tournament next summer.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #143
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

21 point favourites and can't even win. Yikes.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #144
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play like that they would get hammered in the olympics anyway
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #145
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed the game but from what I heard, the Canadian team were overconfident. Way too many turnovers for a team that was playing very well early in the tournament. Venezuela have no business being in that game but with all the freebie Canadians gave them they capitalized. Sucks that they lost because of the bad officiating. They still have a chance next summer and I hope they get some more help from NBA players like Tristan Thompson an others. I would take a couple or three players off this team Ejim, Doorenkamp(sic).
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #146
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think it was the opposite. They looked more nervous than overconfident, and every time they missed an open shot they'd be hanging their heads. The first time I was really worried about the outcome last night was when Stauskas shot and missed three open 3s on the same possession, and immediately after, you could tell from the body-language that all the misses were getting to him and the team. At the same time, the Canadians knew that their game plan needed to be to force the tempo, but if anything they were forcing it too much, looking for the first pass on the break, which the Venezuelans could key on.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #147
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Canada has won their first two games of their qualifying tournament, with an impressive-looking win over Turkey and then a nervous-looking win over Senegal. They're onto the semi-finals, where they'll play either France or New Zealand. France is obviously the big fish in this tournament, whether they play them in the semifinals or finals. They've got Batum, Diaw, and Parker all playing.

Canada is missing several NBAers including Wiggins, Olynyk, Powell, Murray, Stauskas and Lyles. Joseph has been key for Canada so far, and having both Bennett and Thompson has been a big plus.

It's a much weaker roster than they had at the FIBA Americas last year, but it might still be enough to get the job done, and good experience for the guys who are there, regardless.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #148
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
So, Canada has won their first two games of their qualifying tournament, with an impressive-looking win over Turkey and then a nervous-looking win over Senegal. They're onto the semi-finals, where they'll play either France or New Zealand. France is obviously the big fish in this tournament, whether they play them in the semifinals or finals. They've got Batum, Diaw, and Parker all playing.

Canada is missing several NBAers including Wiggins, Olynyk, Powell, Murray, Stauskas and Lyles. Joseph has been key for Canada so far, and having both Bennett and Thompson has been a big plus.

It's a much weaker roster than they had at the FIBA Americas last year, but it might still be enough to get the job done, and good experience for the guys who are there, regardless.
I must say, Wiggins not playing for Canada has me more than a little riled up. There's absolutely no reason for him not to be there. He's young and still developing.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #149
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I must say, Wiggins not playing for Canada has me more than a little riled up. There's absolutely no reason for him not to be there. He's young and still developing.
Ya, it looks awful on Wiggins when Thompson agrees to go after playing all the the way to game 7 of the finals
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #150
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't they have to win this tournament to qualify for the Olympics? With that France roster, it looks highly unlikely they'd beat them...
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #151
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Don't they have to win this tournament to qualify for the Olympics? With that France roster, it looks highly unlikely they'd beat them...
Yes, they have to win outright to gain an Olympic birth.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #152
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone done the math to determine what time the game is on tomorrow?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #153
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like 4:30 AM MST on TSN.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #154
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

And we're through to the finals after an ugly win against the kiwis. 50% from the free throw line and missing 11 straight 3s won't get it done against France so here's hoping they pick it up and book a spot in Rio. Go Canada!
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #155
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Canada wins tomorrow, will they be able to add guys like Wiggins to their roster for Rio?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #156
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they don't even if they can. Let the guys who helped them get there play. Leave his bogus excuse ass at home. Like the timberwolves are ever going to win anything.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #157
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canada basketball fans, welcome to the world of Canadian soccer fans. When your difference makers choose not to commit to the program, there's not much you can do.

Signed,

No World Cup appearance since 1986.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #158
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad isn't it. Wiggins is not going to become a household name in Canada (or US really) while playing for the timberwolves. Try carrying the national team and see the love he'll get.

Look at Jays, Raptors, Raonic, Henderson, Bouchard, De Grasse, etc and the fandom they are getting currently. Maybe someone else will step up.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #159
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Wiggins give an excuse for not showing up? I could understand if he had no contract or was hurt, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #160
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wanted to focus on his upcoming NBA season. Not sure if the timberwolves told him to do that. He's under contract for next season and likely the season after too, which is a team option.