Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #21
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
how many edmonton prospects are attending WJC camps this summer? I'd like to know for when a co-worker inevitably brags about one or two guys that are going - I will try to teach them basic math at that point, that 7 > 1 or 2 (I don't expect it to sink in though)
At least 7.
3 on Canada.
2 Finland
1 USA
1 Czech

Puljujarvi would be 8 but he's not attending.

They also have two eligible Russians but not sure where to find info on Russia's summer camp roster....if they even do a summer camp.

So potentially 9.

I really don't think world juniors invites matter much though. Every NHL team has a bunch I'm sure because they take the best kids from each country at the draft every year.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Some news from the Finland camp. Played their 1st game against the Czechs today and won 3-2. Tuulola scored a goal, Valimaki wearing the C for the Finns and was on the top pairing paired with Vaakanainen
Treliving in his bit with Kerr on Fan 960 on Friday afternoon was talking about the strong leadership qualities they see in Valimaki - it was one of the things that attracted the Flames to him.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
how many edmonton prospects are attending WJC camps this summer? I'd like to know for when a co-worker inevitably brags about one or two guys that are going - I will try to teach them basic math at that point, that 7 > 1 or 2 (I don't expect it to sink in though)
Well that didn't go the way you thoughtit would.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #24
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Well that didn't go the way you thoughtit would.
It's impossible not to make fun of them !!
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The Finns played another game against the Czech's yesterday, but Eetu and Juuso did not play.

The good news is the Finland announced they cut the roster down and both Tuulola and Valimaki will be going to Plymouth to play against the Canadians, Americans, and Swedes in the Summer Showcase.

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #26
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
At least 7.
3 on Canada.
2 Finland
1 USA
1 Czech

Puljujarvi would be 8 but he's not attending.

They also have two eligible Russians but not sure where to find info on Russia's summer camp roster....if they even do a summer camp.

So potentially 9.

I really don't think world juniors invites matter much though. Every NHL team has a bunch I'm sure because they take the best kids from each country at the draft every year.
How many of them have an actual shot at making the team?

On Team Canada you have Skinner and Wells in goal. Cart Hart is returning and I would say DiPietro has the inside track, so neither of the Oilers prospects make the cut. You have Tyler Benson up front, but he's coming off another shortened season and is fighting against much better players. On Team Canada, I would say that without major politicking by Nicholson or Lowe, zero Oilers prospects make this team.

On Team USA you have Kailer Yamamoto and Phil Kemp. I would say Yamamoto is a virtual lock. Kemp doesn't stand a chance on defense. 1 Oiler prospect makes the team.

On Team Finland it appears that Aapeli Rasanen has a pretty good shot at making the squad as he's on the short list going to North America for the pre-tournament series. I would say you'll see 1 Oiler prospect on the squad.

The Russians and Czechs are complete unknowns right now. Seems they both have a big number of returning players, so opportunities for freshly drafted players may be limited. I would say the Russians may have a better chance than the Safin.

So in reality you have potentially 2-4 players with a realistic chance of making their respective teams, with two being a lock, and two more being outside possibilities, just because of the lack of information. So two out of "nine" so far.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #27
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Will these games be televised?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #28
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

So in reality you have potentially 2-4 players with a realistic chance of making their respective teams, with two being a lock, and two more being outside possibilities, just because of the lack of information. So two out of "nine" so far.
Its actually ten. I missed Kemp for team USA the first time around.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wonder why Ruzicka didn't garner a nod?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #30
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Will these games be televised?
TSN will be broadcasting the games from August 3 to August 6. Schedule

They however won't be showing the games from July 28th to August 2nd, but most of those involve split squad games for the Canadians and Americans.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Finland playing USA White today. Lines and yes Valimaki still wearing the C.

Also sort of interesting is Valimaki is listed as playing on the right side.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-29-2017 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #32
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Wonder why Ruzicka didn't garner a nod?
I think it was brought up in another thread; the Slovakian U20 team is typically a group of domestic (playing in Czech/Slovak leagues) players, which is usually complemented by North American players closer to the WJC tournament.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Finland lost 4-2 to USA White.

USA Blue vs Sweden coming up. Lines:

Old 07-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #34
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Corey Pronman @coreypronman
Juuso Valimaki (CGY) having a very good week against CZE and USA u20 squads. Great two-way play by the first round defenseman.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Steve Kournianos‏
@TheDraftAnalyst
#WJSS: RHD Adam Fox (CGY) with a well-placed wrister Riley Tufte (DAL) tips over to RW Logan Cockerill (NYI) who makes it 4-2 Team USA

Link
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #36
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Corey Pronman @coreypronman
Juuso Valimaki (CGY) having a very good week against CZE and USA u20 squads. Great two-way play by the first round defenseman.
If Valimaki has a strong camp with the Flames, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get at least a few games on the 3rd d pairing with Stone. I don't expect the Flames to keep him up permanently, but giving him a taste of the NHL without burning a year on his ELC may just be the thing to do.

I expect Flames fans will quickly grow to like this kid the more they see him.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:51 AM   #37
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
If Valimaki has a strong camp with the Flames, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get at least a few games on the 3rd d pairing with Stone. I don't expect the Flames to keep him up permanently, but giving him a taste of the NHL without burning a year on his ELC may just be the thing to do.

I'd be stunned if he makes first cut. There is 0 expectation for him to play this year. His appearance at main camp is purely courtesy.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #38
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post

I don't think he gets a sniff this year. The Flames aren't going to keep a kid they plan on returning to junior and expose other players to waivers that could play this seasons as a result. Valimaki could turn into an important piece down line, but they aren't going to push him into the lineup without reason. Treliving is smarter than that.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
I'd be stunned if he makes first cut. There is 0 expectation for him to play this year. His appearance at main camp is purely courtesy.
Expectations are low for Valimaki, but there is a reasonable chance IMO that he could show enough at camp to be in the mix for a spot.

The way things sit now on the depth chart with players signed to NHL deals or will be signed to NHL deals (barring any further additions or PTOs):

Gulutzan's preference to have left shots play the left side and right shots play the right side, likely takes Andersson out of the running for 6th D. Being waiver exempt probably takes Andersson out of the running for 7th D. He is likely the first call up if one of Hamilton, Hamonic, or Stone get injured.

Healey probably needs at least one season pro before he is even in consideration for a call up.

On paper, Valimaki needs to show he is better than Kulak, Wotherspoon, Bartkowski, and Kylington. The first 2 have yet to establish themselves as everyday NHLers. Bartkowski didn't have a NHL contract until just before the trade deadline. Kylington still has work to do on some of the brain farts and the defensive side of the game. The Flames already exposed Wotherspoon to waivers last year, don't think they will be too concerned about losing Bartkowski to waivers.

I think in the end it is unlikely Valimaki makes the team. But given the Flames current situation, he certainly could be in the mix at camp and it wouldn't surprise me. Being able to hang with Kulak, Bartkowski, and Wotherspoon isn't impossible for him.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-30-2017 at 08:16 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #40
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, at this point I don't even see bartowski of spoon as regular NHL defensemen. My money is on buzz or valimaki