Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2024, 06:58 PM   #401
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are cherry picking a bit here. Where's Buffalo, Montreal, NJD, Ottawa, AZ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Total charry picking - why include NYI, but not include ARI, MTL, OTT, SEA and BUF (combined record of 8-4)
I'm not cherry picking at all. I'm literally using the teams and section names from the graph that was posted. I even used quotes on "Contenders" and "Tankers" to indicate I was referencing them lol.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-02-2024 at 07:01 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 07:42 PM   #402
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm not cherry picking at all. I'm literally using the teams and section names from the graph that was posted. I even used quotes on "Contenders" and "Tankers" to indicate I was referencing them lol.
Then the graph is using bad categories, but your point still is subject to bad analysis.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:54 PM   #403
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Then the graph is using bad categories, but your point still is subject to bad analysis.
No, my point was in direct response to the post that contained the graph. The post that said we lose to good teams as much as they lose to bad ones, and then used to graph to support that statement. I used the same graph to support the real claim, which is that we beat the best teams in the league (according to that chart) and lose to the worst teams in the league (also according to that chart).

I just didn't quote it becuase it's quite large.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 09:13 PM   #404
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames tanking skill is admirable
Old 04-02-2024, 10:04 PM   #405
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be so just for the flames to get some lottery luck and get to pick Celebrini. I know a lot of fanbases complain about not getting any lottery luck during their rebuild years (like Detroit)… but none of them got robbed of a Stanley Cup like Calgary did… none of them are owed some lottery luck by having your hated rival win the draft lottery 4 times in 6 years (including the McDavid draft) to the point that the league had to change the rules to make it so teams would not get to pick first overall too often.

I hope the hockey gods are just and give the flames some lottery luck for once. It would really change the outlook of this team to get Celebrini as the starting piece of this rebuild. Follow that up with making a big trade at the draft to get another pick in the 8th-13th overall range to get Iginla and you have the perfect draft IMO.

Last edited by stemit14; 04-02-2024 at 10:08 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 10:59 PM   #406
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight proves strength of the schedule means nothing with the Flames. They’ve proved it time and time again going on 2 full seasons now. As much chance they lose to a Chicago/Anaheim as a team over .500.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 11:21 PM   #407
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caclgary resolved its arena impasse for Bettman.

Now please grant them a Celebrini.

Only so much elite talent should go to one end of the province... let's even the scales a little bit.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 12:01 AM   #408
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can you imagine the excitement if the flames managed to win the draft lottery and somehow get a second pick in the top 12 of this draft through a trade? Any trade to get a pick like that would be very aggressive on Conroy’s part as it would likely cost someone like Andersson to pull it off - unless New Jersey loses their mind and trades their pick for a retained Markstrom. Let the hockey gods be favourable and give flames fans both Celebrini and Iginla out of this draft. What a duo those two would make in 3-4 years… an Iginla with a legit top line playmaking centre. Yes. Please.

As much as the team would suffer next year from a trade like that (losing Andersson would be really tough and highly unlikely to happen), I doubt there would be many fans that would be disappointed with getting Tij even if it cost the flames someone like Andersson. Follow up with another top pick in next year’s draft and the team would quickly have a very strong looking young core of Celebrini + Top 10 pick from 2025 + Iginla + Coronato + Zary + Wolf + Pelletier + Honzek + Brzustewicz + Morin. Obviously not all young players reach their potential but there is lots of potential in that list… and that list ignores any other picks or prospects in the system such as Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick, Vegas’s 2026 first round pick, or Lipinski.

While I’m dreaming up these crazy scenarios… I’ll hope for the flames to also get both Gavin McKenna + Joe Iginla in 2026 from their own first round pick + Vegas’s unprotected first round pick.

Last edited by stemit14; 04-03-2024 at 12:22 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:18 AM   #409
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would be very happy if the Flames ended up with a Top 8 pick. There's some real good players there.

Catton, Helenius, Parekh, Eiserman - as many have mentioned.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:33 AM   #410
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd exclude Eiserman if they're drafting in that range. They need a surefire talent with as few question marks as possible.

A pick as straightforward and "money" as Tkachuk was in 2016.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:29 AM   #411
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I'd exclude Eiserman if they're drafting in that range. They need a surefire talent with as few question marks as possible.

A pick as straightforward and "money" as Tkachuk was in 2016.
Make no mistake Cole Eiserman IS a surefire talent.
U17 - 12goals in 7 games... gold medal
U18 - 9 goals in 7 games.... gold medal

My question mark is would he even sign here? he was committed to Minnesota and then when his stock went thru the roof he changed his mind to go to BU to play closer to home and his large hockey family, if there was ever a risk of pulling a Fox it's this guy.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:45 AM   #412
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Can you imagine the excitement if the flames managed to win the draft lottery and somehow get a second pick in the top 12 of this draft through a trade? Any trade to get a pick like that would be very aggressive on Conroy’s part as it would likely cost someone like Andersson to pull it off - unless New Jersey loses their mind and trades their pick for a retained Markstrom. Let the hockey gods be favourable and give flames fans both Celebrini and Iginla out of this draft. What a duo those two would make in 3-4 years… an Iginla with a legit top line playmaking centre. Yes. Please.

As much as the team would suffer next year from a trade like that (losing Andersson would be really tough and highly unlikely to happen), I doubt there would be many fans that would be disappointed with getting Tij even if it cost the flames someone like Andersson. Follow up with another top pick in next year’s draft and the team would quickly have a very strong looking young core of Celebrini + Top 10 pick from 2025 + Iginla + Coronato + Zary + Wolf + Pelletier + Honzek + Brzustewicz + Morin. Obviously not all young players reach their potential but there is lots of potential in that list… and that list ignores any other picks or prospects in the system such as Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick, Vegas’s 2026 first round pick, or Lipinski.

While I’m dreaming up these crazy scenarios… I’ll hope for the flames to also get both Gavin McKenna + Joe Iginla in 2026 from their own first round pick + Vegas’s unprotected first round pick.
The year is 2030. The Calgary Flames have won the Stanley Cup! Watch as everybody takes a turn with the Cup around the ice! Iginla, passes it to Iginla, who passes it to Iginla, who finally gets to lift Lord Stanley's Cup!

Dare to dream...
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:42 AM   #413
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Praise Jobu
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:54 AM   #414
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
The year is 2030. The Calgary Flames have won the Stanley Cup! Watch as everybody takes a turn with the Cup around the ice! Iginla, passes it to Iginla, who passes it to Iginla, who finally gets to lift Lord Stanley's Cup!

Dare to dream...
Over the McDavid led Maple Leafs, while Oiler fans line their alleyways vomiting into their buckets of tears.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:04 AM   #415
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Caclgary resolved its arena impasse for Bettman.

Now please grant them a Celebrini.

Only so much elite talent should go to one end of the province... let's even the scales a little bit.
hold those card for 2026 and Mckenna, McDavid leaves the Coilers and Flames win McKenna Lottery. What a sweet spring that would be.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:41 AM   #416
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
hold those card for 2026 and Mckenna, McDavid leaves the Coilers and Flames win McKenna Lottery. What a sweet spring that would be.
* Flames win the McKenna Lottery with the Vegas pick. Now THAT would be sweet!
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:47 AM   #417
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Make no mistake Cole Eiserman IS a surefire talent.
U17 - 12goals in 7 games... gold medal
U18 - 9 goals in 7 games.... gold medal
Other than the odd generational talent, no player is a "surefire" talent.

High draft picks fail all the time, or simply become usable players.

The jury is still out as to whether turning high draft picks into core players is mostly luck, skill in selecting the right player, or development.

I assume its a combination of all three.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #418
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Habs and Sens both got clobbered tonight

Must...keep....pace....
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 08:19 PM   #419
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things are starting to separate...

6) MTL: -5
7) OTT: -5

8) CGY: -1
9) SEA: +1
10) NJD: +1
11) BUF: +1

12) PIT: +5
13) MIN: +7
14) NYI: +7
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:45 PM   #420
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
They'd potentially have two tickets in that draw too.

(Assuming Vegas falls off a bit)

Chances are as strong as they've ever been for the Flames landing one of the elite/generational guys.