Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #1061
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It could be that they are waiting for a desperation cap move.

I don't know what they will do... Puljujärvi only saves them 3 million.... and they still need three players without him.

The math:

They need 414,333 (after placing Smith (healthy) and Klefbom on LTIR) and two roster spots to fill.

If they get rid of Puljujärvi that gives them 2,585,667 or 528,556 per spot (below league minimum) to fill 3 roster spots. I think Ryan McLeod wants at least 2 million... so that doesn't work. Foegele is worse because his cap is 250,000 less. Therefore, Tyson Barrie, at 4.5 million is the only choice that works unless you combine two players.

Last edited by JackIsBack; 09-14-2022 at 01:06 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-14-2022, 02:02 PM   #1062
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

League minimum being $750k, so 3 players is $2.25M (ignoring the McLeod issue)
Old 09-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #1063
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is MacLeod worth an offersheet? 2M is just a 3rd rounder. Not saying the Flames should, but curious if he is worth it. Kind of forces their hand.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:49 PM   #1064
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is not. Dime/dozen player
Old 09-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #1065
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Is MacLeod worth an offersheet? 2M is just a 3rd rounder. Not saying the Flames should, but curious if he is worth it. Kind of forces their hand.
I think he would be. Doubt I would go $2 mil but I think 1 year @ $1.4 or $1.5 would make for a very difficult decision for the Oilers

$1.386 mil is no compensation too so could consider that if he would sign it.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #1066
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can't see many teams wanting 2 years of Tyson Barrie at $4.5 million. The guy is a atrocious train wreck without the puck.

He gets points. But he's a 4.5 million dollar bottom half guy that you can't trust when defending a lead.

I would expect a team would want serious concessions, or salary reduction to make that deal happen.

And as bad as Barrie is, you take him out of that blueline and it really is an AHL blueline.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #1067
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would love to see Barrie go. I don't think he's as bad as some suggest but even if he is overrated they can't afford to trade from there weakness right now.

I also think this opens up Bouchard to have a massive year in a contract year. If he ends up on the top PP they will be forking out $7 mil or more for him. If it's less it's because it's a bridge deal and it will be $6 mil still.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #1068
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
No he's the beneficiary of Oiler super hyping.

But that effects his contract negotiations with the Oilers

Holland - "We'll give you 1.3)

MacLeod - "But Staples and Stouffer say I'm a future superstar and the bestest 2nd round pick in history, and I'm going to be a surprise leader to the Oilers Stanley Cup"

Holland - "Look my hands are tied man, if they said that. I would give you a 6x6 deal right now, but I don't have the cap space"

MacLeod - "There can be only one"

Pulls out a sword.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #1069
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I would love to see Barrie go. I don't think he's as bad as some suggest but even if he is overrated they can't afford to trade from there weakness right now.

I also think this opens up Bouchard to have a massive year in a contract year. If he ends up on the top PP they will be forking out $7 mil or more for him. If it's less it's because it's a bridge deal and it will be $6 mil still.
Bouchard is a better offensive defenseman than Nurse so shouldn’t he get more than $9.25M?
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 08:07 AM   #1070
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

An oilers fan was telling me that they can roll with 21 players. This will mean that the glitter twins double shift all of the time, which literally improves the oilies. And they will roll with 3 lines with a spare.

I suggested that maybe the oilers dump players on the waiver wire to see if they can get rid that way, but I was advised that “why would they give up assets for nothing?” And “why don’t the flames do that if it’s such a great idea?” I laughed and said that the flames aren’t the oilers and don’t have the same cap issues.

I think that my friends use the broken parts area of their brain when it comes to oilies.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #1071
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams can run with 21 players for short periods of time. The problem is that, if you sustain an injury, and your farm team is on the road in SoCal or somewhere, you might not get a replacement for 2 days.

The Flames, by moving the Heat and the Wranglers to southern AB, will be able to run with 21 players for good chunks of the year, if they wish, because those players will be immediately available to the Flames if needed. Now that only applies when the Heat are at home of course. Also, the bigger problem for the Flames is getting players through waivers - that will be their limiting factor on whether they could run with 21.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #1072
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other problem with trying to run with 21, is the cap. If you are really tight, and someone gets injured but not enough for LTIR (say they are out for a week or so), if you only have 21 because you are too tight to the cap to add, they could find themselves running short-handed for a while.

Referring to the Oilers here, as the Flames will probably have enough cap wiggle room for that not to be a problem
Old 09-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #1073
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Teams can run with 21 players for short periods of time. The problem is that, if you sustain an injury, and your farm team is on the road in SoCal or somewhere, you might not get a replacement for 2 days.

It just takes away options, you don't have the option of sitting multiple guys that aren't playing well or nursing minor issues... life also happens.... people get the flu just a few hours before (or the morning of) a game, or family issues (positive - child birth, or negative - health issues with family) can unexpectedly occur at the last minute.

So in a league where parity was encouraged and every team is just so close up and down the standings... these options take away advantages and can tip the scale... a losing streak can stretch a game or two longer, tired players getting too much ice time can lose a couple games spread over the entire season. This can add up to moving just 4 or 5 games from the win column to the loss one - that's the difference between Colorado finishing 1st to 3rd (where St. Louis finished) ... or Edmonton finishing 2nd to where Vegas was and missing the playoffs.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #1074
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
It just takes away options, you don't have the option of sitting multiple guys that aren't playing well or nursing minor issues... life also happens.... people get the flu just a few hours before (or the morning of) a game, or family issues (positive - child birth, or negative - health issues with family) can unexpectedly occur at the last minute.

So in a league where parity was encouraged and every team is just so close up and down the standings... these options take away advantages and can tip the scale... a losing streak can stretch a game or two longer, tired players getting too much ice time can lose a couple games spread over the entire season. This can add up to moving just 4 or 5 games from the win column to the loss one - that's the difference between Colorado finishing 1st to 3rd (where St. Louis finished) ... or Edmonton finishing 2nd to where Vegas was and missing the playoffs.
And that's the difference between having some wiggle room of not.

If you are right up against the cap (like EDM), then when the flu hits, or whatever, you're hooped and it is going to have an affect on the team, over the course of 82 games.

On the other hand, if you have wiggle room (like CGY), you can simply bump the roster up to 23 during periods where there are some minor injuries, or flu, or slumps, or whatever.

EDM may try to run with 21 out of necessity - which would have consequences.

The Flames may run with 21 during periods where they can get away with it, so they can build more cap space for the deadline. But wouldn't face those consequences because they could go back to 22 or 23 at any time
Old 09-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #1075
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
An oilers fan was telling me that they can roll with 21 players. This will mean that the glitter twins double shift all of the time, which literally improves the oilies. And they will roll with 3 lines with a spare.

I suggested that maybe the oilers dump players on the waiver wire to see if they can get rid that way, but I was advised that “why would they give up assets for nothing?” And “why don’t the flames do that if it’s such a great idea?” I laughed and said that the flames aren’t the oilers and don’t have the same cap issues.

I think that my friends use the broken parts area of their brain when it comes to oilies.
I think that's idiotic of your friend, this isn't EA NHL 20whatever. Draisaitl and McDavid while not old are not young at 25 and 26. They've both put a lot of time on their tires, and its going to come to a point where they're not going to be able to play half a game a night without injury.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #1076
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Totally agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
I think that's idiotic of your friend, this isn't EA NHL 20whatever. Draisaitl and McDavid while not old are not young at 25 and 26. They've both put a lot of time on their tires, and its going to come to a point where they're not going to be able to play half a game a night without injury.

I know... I don't know what these guys are drinking up north, but there must be something in the water (lol... homage to the past thread)... but seriously you are correct, you continue playing McDavid and Draisaitl over 20 minutes a game, game after game, it eventually is going to lead to an injury or chronic problems in the future. Now Edmonton is hoping that it doesn't, or they are so short sighted that they don't care about the future, but it will happen as they age and then where will Edmonton be.... in their familiar basement suite.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #1077
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So just for fun, the hockeywriters.com rated the top 12 fastest skaters in the history of the NHL. Conna was measured by Sportsnet with an average on ice speed of 40 km per hour.

The Conna has pretty much played an average of 22 minutes a game, so in a game, he'd skate 14.66 km roughly per night.

In his career he's played a total of 524 games, (487 regular, 36 playoffs).

so in his short 7 year career he's skated 7,685 km. which is something like Skating to Toronto and back to Calgary then out to winnipeg.

I would expect that Conna gets hit, smoked, bumped, physically contacted between 5 or 10 times a game.

So he's probably absorbed about 5000 hits in his career.

Eventually those tires are going to wear out, and with the Oilers just throwing ice time on him, I doubt he can maintain his level of play into his late 30's. He'll be a broken down 4th line plug in his early 30th bemoaning the loss of his speed. His lack of winning, the fact that he got arthritis and some weird infection that never went away due to his winters in Edmonton, and suffered several serious concussions while trying to slam dunk his basket ball in his home court that his stupid ex girlfriend designed with a 7 foot ceiling.

The Tragedy of Conna McDavid will be a series not made by the Oilers and Sportsdesk with the Conna as producer. It'll be made by Pauley Shore and the publishers of Mad Magazine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #1078
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
... but seriously you are correct, you continue playing McDavid and Draisaitl over 20 minutes a game, game after game, it eventually is going to lead to an injury or chronic problems in the future.
You've got this all wrong. McHobo and Der Deutsch Gretzky are superhuman offspring from vampires who get better the more minutes they play.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-15-2022, 04:02 PM   #1079
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You've got this all wrong. McHobo and Der Deutsch Gretzky* are superhuman offspring from vampires who get better the more minutes they play.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
*Der Gretzkrieg
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #1080
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If you are right up against the cap (like EDM), then when the flu hits, or whatever, you're hooped and it is going to have an affect on the team, over the course of 82 games.

On the other hand, if you have wiggle room (like CGY), you can simply bump the roster up to 23 during periods where there are some minor injuries, or flu, or slumps, or whatever.

EDM may try to run with 21 out of necessity - which would have consequences.

The Flames may run with 21 during periods where they can get away with it, so they can build more cap space for the deadline. But wouldn't face those consequences because they could go back to 22 or 23 at any time
It's even funnier looking back at those speculative articles from a month ago saying they were going to trade for P.Kane at 75% retained... lol
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough