Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default PS3 not scanning for media server

I got this problem tonight. I was using my ps3 to watch some south park eps I dl'ed, and everything was fine. Then after the second ep was done it stopped showing the media server in the list, and instead showed the "scan for media server' thing. I repeatedly tried scanning, but you could see it wasn't even trying to do anything. I restarted the ps3 a few times, checked to make sure my comp was still set up as a server, which it was, restarted the comp again just to be sure, tried scanning again with the ps3, nothing. Basically when I use the ps3 browser, sign in or out of ps network, you can see the green light flashing repeatedly, but when I scan it just stays solid green. Have any of you had this problem, and if so, do you know why it would just stop working for no apparent reason, and/or know of a fix? Thanks

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

which media server are you using?
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

just using my vista laptop, and have file sharing enabled on my network. Think it uses WMP11 to do the sharing. Weird thing is it has worked ever since I got my ps3, and was working last night, then just quit all of a sudden with nothing being changed. My guess is that somehow it dropped connection from my network, then when it reconnected it changed something. Still not sure why it won't scan though.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Is it a wireless network? It could be a problem with your router. Try powering it off and back on again, see if that fixes it.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ya, sorry i have no idea. If you can't get it working again with wmp you can try using this: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ it's what i use to stream from my mac(works with windows&linux).
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

yea, it is a wireless network. The ps3 browser and the ps3 network all work through the router, so not sure why the server part wouldn't work, but yea, I'll try this. Seems to fix most problems.

On a side note, is there anywhere a guy could get about a 50' cable that I could plug into my router from the ps3? Then I could just go back to my wired router, and things would be much more stable. Is a cable that long going to lose anything?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
On a side note, is there anywhere a guy could get about a 50' cable that I could plug into my router from the ps3? Then I could just go back to my wired router, and things would be much more stable. Is a cable that long going to lose anything?
You can, yes. But if you don't want to run a cable through your living room or deal with the hassle of burrying it in a wall, you could get a powerline routing kit (about $120 for the router and two adapters). You just plug the adapters into a regular outlet and your already existing electrical wiring takes care of the rest.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX356(ME).aspx

75ft Cat 5e. Although you may want to go to monoprice and wait for delivery.

Ethernet is supposed to go up to 100m or ~328ft between connections/repeaters/hubs so for most home applications it is usually good. Depending on if you get plenum cable for fire saftey regulations.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the replies guys. BlackEleven, that powerline router sounds intriguing, gonna have to do some research on that.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Torch, I set up that program there, and the PS3 found it right away, and seems to work good. Thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
ya, sorry i have no idea. If you can't get it working again with wmp you can try using this: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ it's what i use to stream from my mac(works with windows&linux).
You can also use that application to stream HD content (*.mkv) to your PS3. It transcodes the file on the fly. Great for when your PVR decides that it doesn't want to record a new episode of Lost.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
You can also use that application to stream HD content (*.mkv) to your PS3. It transcodes the file on the fly. Great for when your PVR decides that it doesn't want to record a new episode of Lost.

There is is program called mkv2vob that will remux the mkv files into a format that the PS3 natively recognizes. All it does is split the audio and video streams and then recombine them. There is no transcoding required and no quality reduction in the audio or video. The entire process takes about 10-15 seconds. I run every mkv file through this program and then delete the original mkv file as it is no longer needed.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
media server , ps3 , router