Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 10:12 AM   #21
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably the only one but I think Dumba is the best fit. Big, tough and exciting to watch, and won't ruin the rebuild by making us too good. 3x 4m should expire around when our rebuild ends.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:16 AM   #22
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Probably the only one but I think Dumba is the best fit. Big, tough and exciting to watch, and won't ruin the rebuild by making us too good. 3x 4m should expire around when our rebuild ends.
Dumba is seriously awful at hockey these days

Think he’s on a one year then out of the league
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:31 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather see the young guys put in positions where they can succeed, than in positions where they are in over their heads, and I expect that the Flames will add a top 4 guy.

There is nothing anti-tank about that. They have cap space, go get a guy who can fill a hole and then be traded for assets at this or next deadline.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:37 AM   #24
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
The Flames currently have Weegar, and Andersson as locks in the top 4, but I don't see the Flames going with Kylington, and Miromanov in the top 4 to start next season.
Respectfully, I see that as pretty much perfect. You start the season with exactly that 4 and add in your rookies to see who can do what. It'll be brutal on everyone involved (incl. Wolf), but we're not going to be competitive for a while yet.

Only exception is that after Tanev wins his cup in Dallas, you bring him back and then trade him again at the deadline a-la Keith Tkachuck's final few years.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:44 AM   #25
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Respectfully, I see that as pretty much perfect. You start the season with exactly that 4 and add in your rookies to see who can do what. It'll be brutal on everyone involved (incl. Wolf), but we're not going to be competitive for a while yet.

Only exception is that after Tanev wins his cup in Dallas, you bring him back and then trade him again at the deadline a-la Keith Tkachuck's final few years.
I think the likelihood of this being true is very important to understand. An argument can be made that we are a year or two away from bottoming out yet, if its the plan or not. Then we will have to learn to crawl again. Its a real possibility that most of the roster today wont be around when we are relevant again, not much sense in getting too excited about free agents this off season.
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:54 AM   #26
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd be looking to see who wants to take a 1 or 2 year deal, then pump and dump
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:02 AM   #27
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think there are a lot of bodies. Bringing back Tanev would be a good idea (if possible) as he makes for a terrific mentor. Outside of that, I would rather the Flames just keep the spots open be in a position to provide better development opportunities to these kids, while also being in a position to take advantage of either another team's cap-dump defencemen or to claim someone off waivers with upside.
This

Lets grab an asset to take someone else's cap dump (Schmidt in WPG? Suter in DAL? etc.)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:10 AM   #28
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
This

Lets grab an asset to take someone else's cap dump (Schmidt in WPG? Suter in DAL? etc.)
I would add Orlov potentially to that list from Carolina.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:15 AM   #29
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The only way the Flames acquire a quality UFA is if that UFA prefers money to a chance at winning.
I think some player may wants to play here for opportunity for bigger role with short term.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:05 PM   #30
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post

I don't mind it in principle, but Conroy mentioned recently that the goal is to be competitive next year. Which doesn't mean playoffs, but means being a tough out on a nightly basis.

Moreover, I think that such a defence would hurt Wolf's and some of the D's development. Player progression in the NHL has a lot to do with confidence, and I think that having that top 4 would result in shot confidences all around. Which can lead in turn to frustrated players, that hate to lose but try to do too much because they can't rely on their teammate.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:18 PM   #31
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I would add Orlov potentially to that list from Carolina.
Yep. Or even Ceci (barf) from the Oil.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:29 PM   #32
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Dumba is seriously awful at hockey these days

Think he’s on a one year then out of the league
I don't want him cause he's good. He's entertaining and tough. Perfect for a rebuild.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #33
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would only sign a guy to help for the first few months and trade him off at the deadline.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:50 PM   #34
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Embrace the suck and let some young d men play.

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:05 PM   #35
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Promote from within. There is no point in spending money on a UFA D man next season.
Agreed. Definitely promote from within whether that is Solo, Hunter B, Morin, Poirer or Grushnikov. Even when you physically list the players that may push for a spot next year, it is more encouraging than an outside UFA.

Signing a UFA D is only going to work against the Flames next season and beyond. Even if you blow your wad and bring in a top dog UFA, you're maybe going from potential lottery team to 7-10 again and that is not helping when the team needs a few more high end prospects.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:08 PM   #36
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's really slim pickings for upcoming UFA defensive dmen that are older, but still good. Brenden Dillon would be an interesting addition

Adds size and physicality that's currently missing from the Flames defense, and hes still good enough to regularly play second-pairing ES minutes without being a liability

He should be relatively inexpensive and is far enough along in his career that he probably won't pout if one of the kids takes a huge leap forward and pushes him down the depth chart.

Weegar-Andersson
Dillon-Miromanov
Kylington-Solovyov/Pachal
Pachal/Solovyov

Matt Roy would also be really interesting, but the Kings have enough cap space to give him a raise and he's probably looking for a long-term deal.

Last edited by boogerz; 04-10-2024 at 11:12 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:42 AM   #37
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with those saying promote from within. We have added quite a few d-men over the last while. Surely one of them can step up and snag a top 4 role next year.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:57 AM   #38
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I get maybe bringing in someone with experience that can play a calming role that Tanev did since you can't just role with a D core that the Flames have now and expect players to reach their potential.

Their still needs to be room for 2-3 of these younger players to play significant minutes around Weeger, Andersson and Miromanov though. If that's Kylington, Hunter B and Pachal I would be okay with it too.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:25 AM   #39
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
This is the ideal resolution... but if we're talking about UFA adds then I would go with one of Tanev/Brodie/Myers provided the term wasn't more then 3 (and preferably not more then 2) years.

I don't think any of our prospects are ready for anything more then spot duty in the NHL so I don't think they'd be ready for T4 minutes until 26-27... 25-26 at the earliest.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:09 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Avs would pay something to free up Manson's salary cap.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote