Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Feds to pay Aboriginals $500 - $700 million for Non Aboriginal Foster homes

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics...vors-1.4342462

$35 - $50k per person for being placed in non-aboriginal homes during the 60s causing a loss of their identity and culture.

I'm really tired of settlements, land claims, agreements from the 1800s. We're all Canadians, plain and simple. No further special treatment for X group over Y group.

I could go on and on about this settlement, but isn't this like putting a Dutch kid into a German home or a Catholic into an atheist home?

Some kids have a very rough go and it's great our society has a social system in place. In 3rd world countries, we'd be homeless. This just grinds my gears more than the other threads.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Special treatment? They were abused.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a terrible God damn post.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post

$35 - $50k per person for being placed in non-aboriginal homes during the 60s causing a loss of their identity and culture.

I'm really tired of settlements, land claims, agreements from the 1800s. We're all Canadians, plain and simple. No further special treatment for X group over Y group.

I could go on and on about this settlement, but isn't this like putting a Dutch kid into a German home or a Catholic into an atheist home?

Some kids have a very rough go and it's great our society has a social system in place. In 3rd world countries, we'd be homeless. This just grinds my gears more than the other threads.
Posts like this make you look like an #######, I mean I am not saying you are an #######, but posts like this really make you look like one.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Um, no. It is not like that.

Perhaps you’d be less mad about it if you did some research. Canada should really be teaching our terrible treatment of the aboriginal population in schools, maybe then people wouldn’t look at a settlement as a positive special treatment, and instead realise it’s a response to an incredibly negative special treatment that doesn’t come close to healing those wounds (but is essentially all we can do).

It’s not like they were scooped up and forced to eat meatloaf they didn’t like. Jesus man.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean, come on, what's a little kidnapping between a state authority and some of its most disenfranchised people?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, this is the right decision and the right settlement.

This was all part of a program of basically trying to generationally erase native culture.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The treatment of indigenous peoples has long been an atrocity. Minimizing their plight doesn't help anyone.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
The thing of it is- this isn't a case where both parents were killed in a car crash, so the gov't had to find a foster home for the kids. If it was, then you may have a point. As others have stated, these were kids forcibly removed from their homes and parents as a form of forced integration.

Last edited by ken0042; 10-06-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Changed "sort of" to "form of"
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure this will square the matter with our country's indigenous peoples.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The thing of it is- this isn't a case where both parents were killed in a car crash, so the gov't had to find a foster home for the kids. If it was, then you may have a point. As others have stated, these were kids forcibly removed from their homes and parents as a sort of forced integration.
Sort of?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm really tired of settlements, land claims, agreements from the 1800s.
The incident for which they are being compensated happened in the 1960s, not the 1800s.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I'm sure this will square the matter with our country's indigenous peoples.
A little off topic, but I hope this does help the indigenous community move forward.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the settlement, what happened was terrible and never should have happened. I do wonder though when does the country move forward? I know all this reconciliation stuff is happening and what not but I think the more and more we continue with things like this the more and more apprehension or anger will begin to bubble up.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adopting Native kids off to non-Native families was at the time regarded as in their best interest. Nobody had any notion of 'cultural genocide' in the 50s and 60s. When Jean Chretian was minister of Indian Affairs, he felt he had to more than just play lip service to Native welfare, so he adopted an 18-month old native boy. Does anyone really think he did it out of malice? The boy's mother doesn't think so. She lived in a tiny house with 12 brothers and sisters and an alcoholic father when her son was born, and figured he would have a better life elsewhere.

It was a bad policy, in hindsight. But it wasn't a malicious one.

We face a terrible dilemma when it comes to the welfare of Native children. The choice is often between leaving them in toxic and abusive homes, or taking them out of their communities into family services or non-native adoption. It would be nice if there were lots of native families looking to adopt native children, but there aren't.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I know all this reconciliation stuff is happening and what not but I think the more and more we continue with things like this the more and more apprehension or anger will begin to bubble up.
Yes, because there was minimal apprehension and anger among indigenous people regarding the past before all of this silly reconciliation business was brought up.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #17
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Adopting Native kids off to non-Native families was at the time regarded as in their best interest.
So was the Residential School System. Let’s excuse that too.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So was the Residential School System. Let’s excuse that too.
Shucks, I mean them white folks were just trying to do their best.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Adopting Native kids off to non-Native families was at the time regarded as in their best interest. Nobody had any notion of 'cultural genocide' in the 50s and 60s. When Jean Chretian was minister of Indian Affairs, he felt he had to more than just play lip service to Native welfare, so he adopted an 18-month old native boy. Does anyone really think he did it out of malice? The boy's mother doesn't think so. She lived in a tiny house with 12 brothers and sisters and an alcoholic father when her son was born, and figured he would have a better life elsewhere.

It was a bad policy, in hindsight. But it wasn't a malicious one.

We face a terrible dilemma when it comes to the welfare of Native children. The choice is often between leaving them in toxic and abusive homes, or taking them out of their communities into family services or non-native adoption. It would be nice if there were lots of native families looking to adopt native children, but there aren't.

Intentions do not matter, its the real effect that matters. These programs ended up being cultural genocide; it destroyed generations of aborignals. They've pretty much lost their language, way of life and culture and its disgusting what we've done. The effects of these abuses are still very visible in the population today.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #20
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You've got to be kidding me, right?

Have your people been through a significant plight in recent history like this?

The Canadian government set out on a mission to destroy a culture and they succeeded and now they have to pay for it.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote