Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default How do I charge this battery?

My lawn mower battery and charger both died and replacements are hard to find. I got it running with three 12V batteries but I'll need to charge them.

Is this running in series? If so, do I charge all three by connecting a charger to the far left and right terminals? Can/should I charge them separately? Do I need a 36V charger?

For bonus, is there anyway I can make my own charger using the proprietary plug so I don't have to remove the batteries from the case every time?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are connected in series and being charges in series as well.

Are those 12V, 9Ah lead acid batteries? They shouldn't be too hard to locate in Calgary. Take a look at B&E (http://www.be-electronics.com/category_s/1828.htm)

Why do you think the charger is dead?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, they are. Those are actually the new batteries. The charger has an LED light that does not come on at all. I'm assuming it's dead. Is there a way I can test the charger itself?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You can use a multimeter to test the charger.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You can use a multimeter to test the charger.
I do have a multimeter and almost know how to use it. What reading would I be looking for?
Old 10-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lead acid battery chargers can vary from very simple to complex.

I would first connect the charger (unplugged) to the batteries and measure the voltage (DC). They could be anywhere between 33V to 43V. I am guessing since they're not charged, they will be sitting somewhere around 33V to 36V. Then plug the charger in and see if the voltage increases at all. That would indicate that the charger is doing something. Depending on the charger though, it could quickly determine that the batteries are beyond help and not attempt to do anything. That would happen so quickly that you might not be able to visually see that on your meter.

You can also, if you can probe the charger's plug with the meter and see if there is anything. If the probe tips on your meter are too fat, you can use some metal paperclips to get in there.

There is also a factory service center in the SE by IKEA that might be helpful, the sign on the storefront indicates it deals with Black & Decker.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/DEW...4d-114.0374315
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

... also if your meter has a setting for measuring DC current, unplug the white wire from the positive terminal on the battery and measure the current by connecting one probe of your meter to the white wire and the other to the battery terminal.

What's going on with that middle battery by the way? The negative terminal looks a little corroded.

Last edited by Wormius; 10-01-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be very careful measuring current, I would generally advise against it on a DC circuit. If you short something out while doing it, it could damage the meter or the vatteries. Really if you can plug the probes into the charger somehow and read DC volts (dotted and straight line symbol) and notice it's above 36 volts (probably closer to 40) that will tell you the charger is working fine.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those look quite similar to the generic batteries I replaced in an old UPS. I went to Battery World in the NE (just off Barlow) to acquire those batteries. You probably could drag in your lawn mower and see if they have a good idea for replacement for the batteries and charger. You could even give them a call, explain the situation so you don't end up making a trip for nothing.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The batteries I have are new and work well. The charger reads at 1.7V on the mm. If I buy a battery charger and charge them in series, would a 12V one slowly work, or do I have to buy a 36V charger?

If I buy a 12V one and charge them individually, how long would it take to charge each one?
Old 10-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
The batteries I have are new and work well. The charger reads at 1.7V on the mm. If I buy a battery charger and charge them in series, would a 12V one slowly work, or do I have to buy a 36V charger?

If I buy a 12V one and charge them individually, how long would it take to charge each one?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-B-D-36V-M...-/201085629901

Isn't this the plug you're looking for? There might be more options on ebay than elsewhere.

There's also sorts of FAQ info at the end of that listing.

EDIT: Oops, that above one doesn't ship to Canada, but this used one does:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-CHARGER...QAAOSwU1RZg~sS

I left the link in though because of the seemingly useful info in the FAQ regarding B&D and Ryobi chargers.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-bank-with-12v

Based on this situation, it seems like using a 12V one on a 36V battery bank isn't recommended due to grounding and battery sync issues? Someone might know better than I, but personally after reading a few things, it doesn't look like a good idea.

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-01-2017 at 02:52 PM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure there would be lots of charging advice if this was a triple AAA battery.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm sure there would be lots of charging advice if this was a triple AAA battery.
So a "AAAAAAAAA" Battery...
Old 10-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
So a "AAAAAAAAA" Battery...
Exactly.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-B-D-36V-M...-/201085629901

Isn't this the plug you're looking for? There might be more options on ebay than elsewhere.

There's also sorts of FAQ info at the end of that listing.

EDIT: Oops, that above one doesn't ship to Canada, but this used one does:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-CHARGER...QAAOSwU1RZg~sS

I left the link in though because of the seemingly useful info in the FAQ regarding B&D and Ryobi chargers.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-bank-with-12v

Based on this situation, it seems like using a 12V one on a 36V battery bank isn't recommended due to grounding and battery sync issues? Someone might know better than I, but personally after reading a few things, it doesn't look like a good idea.
I did see those but I struggled if it was worth that price for the convenience of plugging it in. If I buy a car charger for cheaper, at least I can charge other things (motorcycle, truck).

I'll take your advice on using a 12V on the bank. I should have just bought a gas mower.