Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #41
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Yeah that video is frightening. He is tossed in the air, is then attacked and stabbed, and somehow fights him off and gets up while the guy runs away. Stunning video.
Having represented an officer who was stabbed in the line of duty and had to resort to lethal force to defend himself I commend this officer for remarkable courage and valour in service to the community.

I simultaneously fear for the officer's well being going forward. It is not a given that a person can recover mentally from such trauma. And often it is their very heroic nature that prevents them from seeking and getting the help they need.

As simple as it sounds, rather than posting messages of prayer / best wishes / thanks on boards like this one, I encourage people to take the same amount of time and send a letter to the Chief of the EPS and ask him to pass the letter to the officer. I can tell you from experience these types of things matter.

It is too easy really, not to do it. Here's the link to all of the contact info you need:

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/Contact...enttheEPS.aspx
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #42
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's almost as if people would rather chalk up low body counts due to terrorism to incompetence, rather than the myriad of successful government programs set up to counter people's ability to gain dangerous firearms and explosive materials.
There was no "successful government program" that lessened the impact of this attack, unless lack of planning and general incompetence is now a government run program.

This was some idiot who got all worked up, found an ISIS flag and went off half-cocked. There was no planning whatsoever involved in anything he did. Considering the amount of things that can be used to assemble an incredibly destructive explosive (that you don't need a license to buy or would garner government attention), a lot more damage would have been done if he had thought his attack out.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #43
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
There was no "successful government program" that lessened the impact of this attack, unless lack of planning and general incompetence is now a government run program.

This was some idiot who got all worked up, found an ISIS flag and went off half-cocked. There was no planning whatsoever involved in anything he did. Considering the amount of things that can be used to assemble an incredibly destructive explosive (that you don't need a license to buy or would garner government attention), a lot more damage would have been done if he had thought his attack out.
Yeah I'm sure he would have been even less successful with a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #44
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Press conference at 3:00 with an update from Edmonton Police according to global news.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #45
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That pesky religion of peace again ?
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bawbag For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #46
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably about the time that it's statistically more likely to be killed by terrorists than it is to die slipping in the shower or falling down the stairs.
All it takes is for one of these religious nut jobs to get their hands on a dirty bomb and then they can take out half a city. I'm sure after that happens we'll all be reminded to be tolerant and hold hands around a charred city, praying for more tolerance and religious respect.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #47
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
All it takes is for one of these religious nut jobs to get their hands on a dirty bomb and then they can take out half a city. I'm sure after that happens we'll all be reminded to be tolerant and hold hands around a charred city, praying for more tolerance and religious respect.
All it takes it one nut job to do something like that. All your doing is playing the fear card so you can bash their religion.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #48
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
All it takes it one nut job to do something like that. All your doing is playing the fear card so you can bash their religion.
You dont think ISIS is interested in a dirty bomb or obtaining a nuke?
Old 10-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #49
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know what they think or plan, that’s for teams of professionals to figure out and deal with.

I figure my best way to help is not be a racist bigot, unlike some people.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #50
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably, what would you like done about it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #51
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I don’t know what they think or plan, that’s for teams of professionals to figure out and deal with.

I figure my best way to help is not be a racist bigot, unlike some people.
So being concerned about radical islam is also being a racist bigot? Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Probably, what would you like done about it
Jeez that's sort of a hard question. Eradicating ISIS is a good start. At the very least speaking openly and honestly about the problem is probably also good.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-01-2017 at 01:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Jeez that's sort of a hard question. Eradicating ISIS is a good start. At the very least speaking openly and honestly about the problem is probably also good.
I assume the bolded means the problem of ISIS. You think people aren't discussing this problem openly and honestly? How so? If there is another problem you're referring to why don't you state it clearly and also your solutions?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #53
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure he would have been even less successful with a gun.
If we shouldn't be concerned over terrorist attacks because we are more likely to die from a fall, then why should we concern ourselves over firearms when your more likely to die from a fall?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
5 attempted murder charges served consecutively could insure he dies in prison couldn't It?
I don't have much faith in that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #55
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawbag View Post
That pesky religion of peace again ?
No, looks like a lone loser wolf.

Such a stupid comment.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #56
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I assume the bolded means the problem of ISIS. You think people aren't discussing this problem openly and honestly? How so? If there is another problem you're referring to why don't you state it clearly and also your solutions?
Radical Islam is the problem, not just ISIS. And no, that's a huge taboo right now for some reason. See above.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #57
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Radical Islam is the problem, not just ISIS. And no, that's a huge taboo right now for some reason. See above.
You thanked a post saying

"That pesky religion of peace"

You aren't discussing radical Islam when you do that I don't see anyone not wanting to discuss radical Islam.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #58
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You thanked a post seemingly condemning the entire religion. Jihadists are the problem yes, but it's unclear to me who you are referring to specifically.

It's not a taboo to discuss how to deal with jihadiis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #59
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a particular magic bullet to solve this issue. But I feel like there's this bubble around people, mostly liberals but not limited to, that prevents them from accepting that maybe.. just maybe... the religion itself and its current state is a big part of the problem itself. not socio-economic factors.

Ignoring that I thanked a post that probably generalized a little too much (oh well who cares frankly) I think its correct to point out that we shouldnt pretend this is a forever isolated problem. ISIS and other islamic terrorism groups wants to bring about chaos and mass destruction and one day they MAY achieve it with a nuke or dirty bomb.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #60
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ignoring that I thanked a post that probably generalized a little too much (oh well who cares frankly) .
Who cares?!? The vast majority of the followers of the religion who find ISIS and their ilk abhorrent and a perversion. Those people who are peace loving but have to deal with this kind of lazy, ignorant and bigoted response. Those that do want to see reform but realize painting the entire religion and it's followers the same as ISIS is totally counterproductive and just stupid, frankly.