Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Acts of Terrorism in Edmonton: Officer stabbed, pedestrians run down

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...cking-vehicles

Quote:
The stabbing of a police officer and a subsequent high-speed chase where several pedestrians were run down is being investigated as an act of terrorism, Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said at a 3 a.m. news conference.

Knecht, standing side by side with representatives of the RCMP, said based on evidence at the scene, and the actions of the suspect “it was determined that these incidents are being investigated as acts of terrorism under section 83.2 of the criminal code.”

Knecht also confirmed that an ISIS flag was discovered in the vehicle the suspect was driving when he rammed, then stabbed the police officer. And that the flag is part of the investigation.

The attack began on the officer who was manning a routine Eskimos game-day blockade by himself southwest of Commonwealth Stadium at 107A avenue and 92 Street. The officer was outside his vehicle, which had its lights flashing to improve visibility.

At around 8:15 p.m., a man driving a white Chevrolet Malibu crashed into the barricades set up to keep pedestrians separated from vehicles.

The vehicle struck the officer “sending him flying through the air 15 feet before colliding with the officer’s cruiser” at high speed.

The suspect, believed to be 30 years old, then got out of his vehicle and attacked the officer with a knife. The officer was stabbed multiple times before the suspect fled on foot northbound on 92 Street.
Quote:
A manhunt was underway when before midnight the suspect was pulled over at a police check stop on Wayne Gretzky Drive and 112 Avenue driving a U-Haul truck. When the officer asked to see a driver’s licence, he recognized the name as being similar to that of the registered owner of the Malibu used in the earlier attack. The suspect fled the scene with at least a dozen police vehicles in pursuit.

Pedestrians targeted in downtown chase

A high speed chase ensued with the suspect racing west down Jasper Avenue into the downtown, where Knecht said the suspect “deliberately tried to hit pedestrians in crosswalks and alleys” at two areas along the route. Four pedestrians were struck and were subsequently transported to hospital. There is no information on their condition.

Shortly after the pedestrians were run down, the suspect’s vehicle overturned on 100 Avenue just south of Jasper “due to police interaction,” said Knecht.

The driver was arrested and is now in police custody.

Witnesses who saw the chase and pedestrians being struck described the scene as chaotic.

‘There were people flying’

Just before midnight Kim Anderson was waiting for her bus when she saw the U-Haul hit pedestrians near Jasper Avenue and 107 Street.

“There were people flying and everything,” she said. “I’m shocked — I just see people flying.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just awful. Hopefully the officer and pedestrians make a full recovery.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, that is terrible to hear and so close to home. I hope the officer and pedestrians recover after this attack.

This should never see the light of day again even if everyone survives, I can only imagine there could be another attempt if he is ever released from prison.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks Trudeau.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Thanks Trudeau.
Yet another poster where I'm always

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Trudeau.
This is uncalled for especially when you don't even know who the suspect is.

From any other poster I'd assume sarcasm but you've made some bad posts before on the same subject.

Last edited by calgaryblood; 10-01-2017 at 09:03 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Trudeau.
This type of dumbass comment isn't unusual. Facebook comments are a disaster this morning.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ruck-1.4315545

Quote:
Knecht confirmed that a black ISIS flag was seized from a car where the police officer was attacked.
And so it begins in Canada.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sounds like the police officer is going to make it

@edmontonpolice: 1 We thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Our officer is safe and recovering. We also thank you, #yeg, for your support & patience
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
You haven't been paying attention if you think this incident is when it begins...
Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You haven't been paying attention if you think this incident is when it begins...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the first Islamic State "van attack" approach used on Canadian soil?

Closest we've had is the Al Qaeda goofs in the Toronto-7 IIRC
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is really upsetting. You never think it'll happen near home or at home... until it does.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the first Islamic State "van attack" approach used on Canadian soil?

Closest we've had is the Al Qaeda goofs in the Toronto-7 IIRC
Your post was about the Isis flag...i thought you meant Isis terrorist attacks not strictly vehicle attacks.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Very sad and scary situation, I hope for a full recovery for all those affected.

You try not to let these sorts of events affect your day to day life, as that's exactly what these terrorists want. But I have to admit as we were going to Stampede this year and walking up to the grounds, these van style attacks crossed my mind. its a sad time we live in.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schraderbrau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything I'm reading suggests that there were no fatalities and that the injured people are expected to recover... so, knock on wood, but if there's a silver lining, it's that this terrorist appears to have been completely inept at being a terrorist.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #16
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Everything I'm reading suggests that there were no fatalities and that the injured people are expected to recover... so, knock on wood, but if there's a silver lining, it's that this terrorist appears to have been completely inept at being a terrorist.
I'd agree with that statement. Could have been so much worse - The guy stopped at a Checkstop in between attacks, gave them his real ID and then had to boogie once they inevitably caught onto him. Not the sharpest tool in the shed to say the least....much to our luck.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

They've been showing the video here on Global for about 30 minutes. I'm shocked the Police Officer is not in worse shape. They are not exaggerating about him getting rammed by the car and how far he was launched.

It's stunning to see this so close to home, but it only takes one person to cause this sort of chaos.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Up until today I've always at least been able to pretend or convince myself this kind of #### isn't anything to be concerned about in Alberta, now that feeling of security in my home province is gone, or at least waning. I'd say he was quite successful at being a terrorist.

I'm still waiting to hear more information about what exactly happened and if it was actually a terrorist attack, but it certainly seems that way so far, and if there's one Isis member in Edmonton, you can be sure there's more than just him throughout Alberta and Canada.

Last edited by RT14; 10-01-2017 at 09:45 AM.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aside from the flag, was there anything else to corroborate that it was an ISIS terror attack, and not some anti-Muslim s*** disturbers?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were an anti Muslim s*** disturber I'd probably have an ISIS flag.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: