Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Way different scenario here, if the Iranians would have had any kind of deterrent in place its a different war, instead the American's pretty much knew that they could fight a war on their terms.

First and foremost they started with the air war, their opening move was to kill Iran's air defense network, then after that went down they took complete control of the skies over Iran who really didn't have much of an airforce compared to American air power.

Then once they had control over the skies, they basically stole a playbook from the Soviet Army doctrines guide and they basically zerg rushed the Iranian army and psychologically crushed them with brute force.
The USA invaded Iran too? ....those monsters.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
No one is really talking about the effect on terrorism if the U.S. start a war with North Korea. It is just going to fuel the terror attacks on U.S. and anyone helping. They will use it as propaganda about the big U.S. bully, look what they are doing to little North Korea. Just a never ending circle of ####.

Islamic terrorists, in any way justifiably at least, using the invasion of a secular Asian country as a motivation for terrorism is a bit of a stretch. If that's the case, just about anything anyone does could be used as a reason to kill a bunch of innocents.

The concern here should be what's best for the Korean people (and sparking a massive regional war, probably isn't). If you're allowing the fear of terrorism to dictate your foreign policy, you've got a problem.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #43
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The USA invaded Iran too? ....those monsters.
Yeah, I looked at my post this morning and muttered into my coffee.

Thanks a lot brain, always trying to make me look stupid.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You would have to think they would know exactly where every artillery batteries are though, the B-2 can carry 80 500lb GPS bombs that each one can strike within 1 meter of it's target, after as you said "take out their communications" sneak 5 B-2's in to pop the artillery and radar with 400 bombs and they'll think the world is ending and will likely run for the hills.

The war machine the USA has is absolutely ridiculous.

Ok lets play this through so that we can all figure this one out.

Right now the North Korean military has about 12,000 artillary pieces, and I'm not talking about the mortar stuff attached to their infantry units. I'm talking about artillary pieces ranging from about 120 mm self propelled guns to about 170 mm howitzers. On the MLRS side they range from small type 63's to monstrous 300 mm KN-9's.

Out of their 12,000 artillary pieces I would argue that their vaunted belt of Seoul killers made up of howitzers and 300 mm MLRS which have 8 rockets per pod comprise of 700 pieces in Harts (Hardened Artillary sites).

The North Korean's pretty much publicly display these hardened sites on Satellite because its part of their deterrence message.

These type of sites are dug into mountains and built into concrete emplacements. They are designed to shoot, retract, reload, extend and fire. Its logical to assume that the men that man these are the elite members of North Korea's artillery core. Which means that their reload speed is fast, because these guns are pre-targeted they don't worry about siting and aiming and shifting fire. Each piece has a designated killing area.

On top of that each weapon is designed to fire a different sort of mission. some will ground impact, some will variable detonate in the air to create massive shrapnel bursts, some will fire chemical weapons which North Korea has a lot of especially binary nerve gases and droplets and some will probably drop bio agents. As well, at this point, there is no guarantee that some of these weapons are tasked with firing tactical nuclear rounds of between 5 and 20 kt's each.

Right now those guns are at strategic alert because of the situation that is happening right now, that means basically rounds are loaded and lanyards are attached.

for the American's to go after 700 or possibly more of these HARTS, they will probably need deep penetrating bombs.

The BLU-109, BLU-116 and maybe the GBU-57A.

Using 700 deep penatratrrs would probably extend the Us Inventory.

The B-2 isn't going to be carrying 80 of these things by the way, they're carring a lot less and they're designed to be precision dropped not carpet dropped, which means each bomb has to be manually aimed to hit the HART preciselly.

The US also has deep penetrater artillary and cruise missile pieces.

However right now the B-2 and the F-35 are really the only stealth platforms that can carry them.

If America wants to use artillery or counterforce, to be truly accurate they need the enemy to pretty much fire first, otherwise they're using satellite or drones to do the aiming. They would also have to move these artillary pieces into range to fire, which means mobile guns or open air, which would expose them to brutal counter fire from the North Korean's who have invested a lot of money into that technology.

You can fire cruise missiles from subs or aircraft, but North Korean radar would probably be able to pick up the firing.

I would say that right now there are two issues.

1) If the North Koreans are truly locked and loaded, they might not be able to shoot down an F-35 or B-2. But the minute that those two platforms open their doors their radar signature goes from the size of a bee to the size of a three car garage and its a launch apparent, which means in the time that those bombs fall and penatraters are high altitude deployment the North Korean's who are alert will be able to fire at least a thousand rounds or more of rockets and artillary with multiple types of rounds. So Seoul could be hit with ground, variable fuzzed, chemical, biological, and nuclear payloads.

Now even if your first strike is successful and by successful you knock out half of North Korea's long range artillery belt and reduce them to 300 guns that retract, reload and fire, then in theory Seoul could be hit with another lets say 800 to a thousand rounds.

2) we don't know the command and control authority. I would think that it would be little bit more open for interpretation then launching a ballistic missile. Which means that the on site commanders might have the authorization at high alert to fire on imminent threat, which means the minute a launch is detected from a US Ship, or sub, or the minute any kind of radar signature appears over top of the artillery sites. I doubt that "Rocket Man" would be willing to lose his biggest hedge card because they had to wait for command to go through a pretty shaky communication system.

I'm not saying its an impossible task, I'm saying in all likely hood that America doesn't have the capability to take out that artillary belt before a good number of rounds are fired.

Frankly the only way to succeed and be sure would be for a massive time on target barrage from Artillery, panes in position, cruise missiles fired from the sea and not only the use of deep penetraters, but nuclear war heads.

Just my two cents though.

This is equivalent to 4 bandits two machine guns at your family and they're wearing bullet proof vests. You might get one or two before they fire on your family, but someone is going to get hit. Is America willing to take that chance.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #45
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What an impressive knowledge of all things military. CP is really lucky to have you to break this stuff down. Thanks!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #46
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The North Koreans have used very violent language in recent years to describe self-professed American chicanery.

I wouldn't get too hyped up about this, cool heads are likely prevailing behind the scenes and in the larger administration circles of both countries.
The language North Korea is currently using is completely normal. They speak about the States like this all the time as far as I can tell.

I really do like their use of the written English language. They don't spare the thesaurus, and that coupled with odd grammar choices makes for a fascinating read.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 09-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #47
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawbag View Post
North Korea keep poking the bear. If they continue to do so they will be wiped out
Are you sure it's the NK doing the poking not Trump?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But the minute that those two platforms open their doors their radar signature goes from the size of a bee to the size of a three car garage
You should write a book. I'd come to CP just to read your military posts.

On a side note, I'm looking a lot less forward to my upcoming Japan trip with all this.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #49
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
On a side note, I'm looking a lot less forward to my upcoming Japan trip with all this.
I'm going back in December. I hope there is still an actual Tokyo to go to by then.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
You should write a book. I'd come to CP just to read your military posts.

To be honest, I think there's very little to worry about.

The Deterrent belts that North Korea is trying to build is pretty incomplete.

They have a large artillery belt aimed at Seoul, but they know that even though it will likely accomplish its first mission of turning Seoul into Lake Seoul, it won't live long after that, and with most of their longest range artillery, I would assume that they are also the blunting force against an Imperialist attack.

Their Nuclear deterrent is pretty much incomplete, they clearly have the gun (Intermediate and short range ballistic missiles) They might be pretty far along in the development of an intercontinental ballistic missile. But we really can't be sure beyond bluster that they have a working nuclear warhead. I expect if they did they would have found some way to properly demonstrate that to give the message of leave us alone.

They're clearly prepared for a deterrence force beyond a few missiles. though and they might not really need a lot of long range ballistic missiles, as they're clearly preparing for a naval option.

The Sinpo class submarine is designed as a diesel electric ballistic missile submarine.

Now to me its a strange idea, basically you don't want a strategic national asset who's primary design is to vanish into the ocean and remain hidden until fired. However building a diesel electric boat is strange because it needs to snorkel and recharge its batteries, which means that it has to do something that a ballistic missile submarine doesn't like. Head to the surface and make a bunch of noise.

This sub harkins back to the 70's design of submarine that fires the missiles from its sail instead of vertical launch tubes forward or aft. It has two launch tubes and can fire the KN-11 ballistic missile. The KN-11 has a range of up to 2500 km's which means that it can basically fire from birthing and hit South Korea or Japan.

the North Korean's have completed one sub and plan to build 5 more. So its pretty clear that they believe that they will have a functional warhead by the time the class is complete and be able to do some form of deterrence patrol, and keep about half of their ballistic missiles at sea similar to American Naval Doctrine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #51
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...4eeb2566016bba

Quote:
KIM Jong-un wanted to assassinate his half-brother in the most “gruesome” and public way possible earlier this year to “horrify the rest of the world” and instil fear among his doubters, a new report claims.
Fox News reports the daring assassination of Kim Jong-nam in February undertaken by two prostitutes in Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur airport has mostly been shrouded in mystery, with few reports from South Korean media speculating why the estranged half-brother of the North Korean despot was killed.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #52
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

how can two prostitutes sneaking up to him at an airport kill gruesomely?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #53
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
how can two prostitutes sneaking up to him at an airport kill gruesomely?
You wouldn't consider attacking someone with VX nerve gas in the middle of a busy airport gruesome?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #54
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You wouldn't consider attacking someone with VX nerve gas in the middle of a busy airport gruesome?
No.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #55
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had a chemical weapon brought to, and used in, a public airport...how is that not horrifying? And it is a gruesome way to die even if that part of things wasn't captured on CCTV.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #56
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

AFP news agency @AFP
#BREAKING Tillerson says US in contact with North Korea, probing willingness to talk
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #57
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
He had a chemical weapon brought to, and used in, a public airport...how is that not horrifying? And it is a gruesome way to die even if that part of things wasn't captured on CCTV.
Because it wasn't "gruesome" as the question was posed. It may have been a harsh death for the individual, but this was a pretty surgical assassination using a pretty effective means to eliminate that single target. Gruesome would have been to release a large canister of the toxin in the airport, killing hundreds, in a very public way, to eliminate a single target.

If the intent here was to send a message in a very gruesome way there were much better ways of doing that. Decapitation and leaving the body on public display is gruesome. Drawing and quartering using SUVs is gruesome. Public deboweling is gruesome. Public Immolation is gruesome. A surgical poisoning attack is far from gruesome. The fact that it took weeks to pin down who was ultimately behind the attack makes the attempt pretty lame and a worthless attempt at sending a message. You want to see the effective use of gruesome tactics to send a message? Observe almost any assassination completed by MS13. They are not only gruesome, but horrifying. What Un did was tame.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Kim Jung-Un continues to consolidate power as he promotes his younger sister Kim Yo-Jung to a Politburo position, I've been predicting this for a while as she's been secretly gaining power and ran the coutry's propaganda and agitation departments for a while.

http://mashable.com/2017/10/10/kim-y.../#AjbMVfNM7SqH

North Korean hackers allegedly steal documents from South Korea including plans to kill Kim Jung-Un

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/10/re...u-s-war-plans/

Old 10-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #59
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Kim Jung-Un continues to consolidate power
North Korean hackers allegedly steal documents from South Korea including plans to kill Kim Jung-Un

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/10/re...u-s-war-plans/
The incompetence of South Korea is truly appalling
Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #60
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

or maybe its documents ROK wanted the north to find? subterfuge?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: