Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Remote Starter Installers?

Anyone have a recommendation for a remote starter installer in town? Looking for a Compustar installer.

By way of background, I am looking to put a DRONE Mobile (DR-3400), an RF-P1WG9 keyfob, and the FT7200SCONT remote start controller into my wife's new car. This way she can start her new car from her phone, but don't have time to do it myself...Figured CP would be a good place to go for a reference on an installer!
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got mine done at Lucky auto in the NE. The dudes a big flames fan and has pictures of Dion and a bunch of old players coming into the shop. Oh and it's good, quick service with a smile. Not sure if he does the x8cf7d7x8c7v7s6 starter you are looking for though. I'm sure he can install it, but he probably doesn't carry them.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mine lasted for about 2 years before it stopped working. Waste of money for me...
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a recommendation from CP for Autotemp North www.autotempairandsound.ca
I had my wife's put in for Christmas. Turns out this is also the place my dad used to go 20 years ago, so they have been around. They did a great job.

I also overheard them telling a few other customers they highly recommend Viper over Compustar, though they do sell Compustar. The Viper can do the phone start thing too. Be aware you have to pay a cell network access fee, which I think is $100 a year for that feature.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The manager from auto temp north location (Tim) is back down managing auto temp south location at this time. Go see him he will take care of you. I would spring for the Viper The compustar that Ford installed in my truck lasted a few months before it died. And they were definitely not willing to fix it.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya it was Jeff who helped me out (sales guy) but he was great. So depends which one is closer.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was recommended Visions South by some friends and recently used them for a Viper car started on a Honda Fit, no issues so far and the install appears to be clean.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wherever you go check on the warranty. Auto Temp said it was lifetime on their work. Lots of stories about ones that just stop working.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had mine done at Mobile Solution of Calgary and have nothing but good things to say (though the price was bit expensive). Their shop was as clean as clean as a doctor's office and it was humbling to see my vehicle being worked on between a Lambo and Ferrari.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have an opinion on which brand of starter is better - Viper or Compustar? I'm looking at getting one installed soon and made a few calls around town, some shops prefer Viper while others prefer Compustar.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on which brand of starter is better - Viper or Compustar? I'm looking at getting one installed soon and made a few calls around town, some shops prefer Viper while others prefer Compustar.
I had the same question myself so posted a similar thread and also did some google searches. If you have an automatic transmission, apparently both brands are pretty similar in terms of quality and reliability.

Apparently the main difference is if you have a manual transmission, in which case Compustar is the clear choice based only on what I've read.

I do have a manual transmission so I'll be going with compustar.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a few done at Autotech in the northeast. Joe does a good job.

http://autotechps.com/index.html
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Had a few done at Autotech in the northeast. Joe does a good job.

http://autotechps.com/index.html
+ 1 for Autotech, these guys know their stuff
Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had my Compustar for a long time now...I would say its been about 3 years. No issues at all.

I had mine installed by a guy who was recommended by a sales manager I know at Subaru. At the time, he was the one doing their dealer installs.

He came to my office during the day and did it in about 2 hours. I didn't have to take the car anywhere. He did an install for a former coworker too.

Remote starters aren't cheap (I got a two-way system), but they are worth every penny.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had a two way viper installed by autotemp and sound (32nd ne). It came out to $700 for 2 remotes and the install. I've had a remote starter installed previously (on a different car at future shop), they caused a small hole that eventually rusted and started leaking into the car. this install cost me an extra $200, but if it saves me issues down the road, it was well worth the price.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone else feel guilty using a remote car starter? My latest car came with one (I'd never used one before) but I read that it only takes 30 seconds to circulate the oil even on the coldest days. It's really nice to get into a toasty car but I wonder at what cost to the environment.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bigger issue is heat on the windows to stop them from fogging up and freezing. Maybe I'm just full of hot air, but when I get into a cold car, I end up in that situation.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #18
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not to hijack the thread but.. my wife's recently stopped working right in the middle of a prairie winter. When I press it the light on the remote will still flash but nothing happens. I tried replacing the battery anyway just to see but nothing. Any ideas?

It's on a 2012 Mazda 3.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you contact the installer? Or look on the manufacturers website, they have tech support there.
You could check to see if the hood sensor button is working. Look for corrosion around the terminal, and push it up and down a few times. Though I think if that is the issue the headlights will still flash indicating a problem. You could also check for the fuse, since you are getting no response at all. Also check the receiver on your windshield and make sure the wire is plugged in firmly if it is not directly wired. My new one had a plug to disconnect it.

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-09-2016 at 08:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #20
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Lots of great suggestions there, thanks, I will take a look at those today and yes I think the next step is contacting the installer. I was hoping it would be something I could handle myself though.. with advice of course