Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #361
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just made a big TV purchase today which I am really excited about. I am moving in 2 weeks so needed an entire new TV setup and decided to go with the Samsung 85 inch that is ready for the PS5. Also went with the Samsung frame for the living room.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #362
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question: is there any issue with using a fairly significant tilt in a wall mount for a TV? Does the weight on the top mounting screws (further from the wall) create a risk that over time the TV will develop issues with the screen? Or is that not a risk for modern TVs?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #363
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Question: is there any issue with using a fairly significant tilt in a wall mount for a TV? Does the weight on the top mounting screws (further from the wall) create a risk that over time the TV will develop issues with the screen? Or is that not a risk for modern TVs?
I have never had this issue with my sets, but I admit OLED and how thin it is could be different. I would say no. Mine is angled quite a bit, and never thought it would be an issue.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #364
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the two issues that could effect things would be how well anchored it was in the first place, ie is it bolted straight into the 2x4 or a hefty wall anchor and then how much will it be moved around once up.

if it is just going up and never likely moved again it will probably never give you an issue as long as it isnt clearly rickity in the first place
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #365
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just got hives thinking of people who dry wall anchor their 3K TV to the wall.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #366
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I just got hives thinking of people who dry wall anchor their 3K TV to the wall.
the new builds are likely to have mild steel studs, not much to anchor a self tapping bolt into either
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #367
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
I'm not worried about it falling off the wall. It's anchored into a chimney and the mount It's on has held a much heavier set there for 10+ years. I'm specifically asking if having it at an angle - because it's higher on the wall than I would normally put a TV - is going to cause issues for the screen. Because I can tilt it less if I have to, but the angle it's at (top is about 9" further from the wall than the bottom) is pretty good for viewing.

The TV is a Hisense Q9G 65". It looks amazing, especially for 1500 bucks, but this is our second one. We returned the first after about 10 days as it had a couple of dark spots and a flicker, which I didn't see and I'm pretty sure came into being after about 40-50 hours of use. It's my Dad's, and I'm not sure when I'll be back around to make sure it hasn't happened again, so I'm wondering if it was just a defective set the first time or if the mount was maybe to blame. He leaves it on a lot during the day to watch BNN, so if there are issues they'll probably show up within our return window, but it's a pain for him to return a 65 inch set without me around.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #368
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
It is done more than you think and it's a matter of using the proper anchors. The Toggler heavy duty toggle bolts are extremely strong. I have a mount over the fireplace and the wall stud spacing is not standard so I could only screw in one side of the mount for a 65" OLED. Zero issues using the heavy duty toggle bolts to support half of the set.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #369
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys what is a good bang for your buck TV for less than $1000 about 55".

Very casual viewing, mostly Netflix.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #370
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Great TV closer to $1000:
https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-Dolby-Visi...tronics&sr=1-8

Cheaper but simliar TV:
https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-Dolby-Visi...ronics&sr=1-10

If you want to go a bit more mainstream:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...x750h/14547428

TCL is going to be the best bang for your buck TV IMO.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-22-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #371
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not worried about it falling off the wall. It's anchored into a chimney and the mount It's on has held a much heavier set there for 10+ years. I'm specifically asking if having it at an angle - because it's higher on the wall than I would normally put a TV - is going to cause issues for the screen. Because I can tilt it less if I have to, but the angle it's at (top is about 9" further from the wall than the bottom) is pretty good for viewing.

The TV is a Hisense Q9G 65". It looks amazing, especially for 1500 bucks, but this is our second one. We returned the first after about 10 days as it had a couple of dark spots and a flicker, which I didn't see and I'm pretty sure came into being after about 40-50 hours of use. It's my Dad's, and I'm not sure when I'll be back around to make sure it hasn't happened again, so I'm wondering if it was just a defective set the first time or if the mount was maybe to blame. He leaves it on a lot during the day to watch BNN, so if there are issues they'll probably show up within our return window, but it's a pain for him to return a 65 inch set without me around.
I had my 55 in plasma set up like that for years with no issues, and now a 65 in OLED for a few months with no issues. I always thought that was a pretty standard setup as all the mounts seem to be set up to tilt down and mounted TVs are generally somewhat above eye level.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #372
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Great TV closer to $1000:
https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-Dolby-Visi...tronics&sr=1-8

Cheaper but simliar TV:
https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-Dolby-Visi...ronics&sr=1-10

TCL is going to be the best bang for your buck TV IMO.
Interesting. Thank you.

I found this at Visions (It's also at Costco). Should I stay away from lower end Samsungs?

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...5&sku=QN55Q60T
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #373
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It is done more than you think and it's a matter of using the proper anchors. The Toggler heavy duty toggle bolts are extremely strong. I have a mount over the fireplace and the wall stud spacing is not standard so I could only screw in one side of the mount for a 65" OLED. Zero issues using the heavy duty toggle bolts to support half of the set.
Yes, toggle bolts are your friend for mounting monitors if the stud situation isn't agreeable.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #374
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Go TCL. I love mine. The Roku integration is fantastic and gets better all the time. They recently released a guide for live tv through the Roku channel. Not the best selection of channels, but you can flip through them as if it was a normal set top box. Really slick.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #375
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I had my 55 in plasma set up like that for years with no issues, and now a 65 in OLED for a few months with no issues. I always thought that was a pretty standard setup as all the mounts seem to be set up to tilt down and mounted TVs are generally somewhat above eye level.
Yeah, I can't find anything that says it's a bad idea. It was the two circular dark spots that spooked me, because I figured those might be the result of pressure on the mounting points. But apparently it's just a panel lottery thing with these TVs, I found a couple reddit threads with people who had the same spots.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #376
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I can't find anything that says it's a bad idea. It was the two circular dark spots that spooked me, because I figured those might be the result of pressure on the mounting points. But apparently it's just a panel lottery thing with these TVs, I found a couple reddit threads with people who had the same spots.
Have you contacted their support to see what they say about rated angles? No idea about Hisense, but some tech companies have really helpful online support. Or possibly even in the f'n manual?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #377
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. Thank you.

I found this at Visions (It's also at Costco). Should I stay away from lower end Samsungs?

No reason not to go with a Samsung, but you get dolby vision with the TCL for the same price and Roku TV which other have really liked.

But the one you linked is definitely decent for that price. Go with what you are most comfortable with.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #378
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. Thank you.

Everything I've been reading about the new Samsungs says there are way better TVs for the price than what Samsung is pumping out, particularly in their lower-end offerings.

I'd go with a TCL 6-series before a Samsung Q60 or Q70.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #379
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Hisense are also supposed to be one of the best BFYB televisions.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #380
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Hisense are also supposed to be one of the best BFYB televisions.
Hisense and TCL are so close it really just comes down to whether you prefer Android TV or Roku for your interface
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote