Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:
Flames Post Game 1 News Round Up

No Suspension For Cammalleri

Quote:
The league, citing Cammalleri's spotless track record and the situation (a close game, meaning the forearm, theoretically, was not a message-sending act), allowed the Flames winger to get off scott-free.
'He Bumped Me,' Kiprusoff Says

Quote:
"He bumped me,'' said Kiprusoff, not really complaining, but more curious about the events that led to their demise. "I don't know if he got pushed into me or what? If he did, it's a penalty and they should call it. Did he get pushed? I haven't seen it on a replay yet. You guys probably know more than I do. But he definitely bumped me. That's a shot I stop if I'm not hit. I saw the puck. I was in position. And then I couldn't get to it.''
Burned In Overtime?

Quote:
Mike Keenan sure thinks so.

The Calgary Flames head coach had a bone to pick with the officials after Martin Havlat's game-winning goal a dozen seconds into overtime to give the Chicago Blackhawks a 3-2 win and first blood in the best-of-seven playoff series last night.

"I believe it was (Andrew) Ladd who did not try to stop his movement towards the net, and that's goaltender interference," Keenan said. "However, the officials either saw it differently or didn't make the call, because in the excitement of overtime that's always part of the issue."
Powerplay fails To Ignite Yet Again

Quote:
"Next one's in, for sure," Michael Cammalleri said in the mouse-quiet visitors' quarters at the United Center. "That's how it always feels on the power play. We've got so many guys capable of putting the puck in the net. We look forward to that breaking real soon.

"I'd be lying to you if I didn't say we really have a feeling, like, 'Next one's in.' ''
New Flock Of Blackhawks Making Their Own History

Quote:
Then, like in a dream, good ol' Havlat took the puck a mere 12 seconds into the overtime and buried it past goalie Mikka Kiprusoff. Just like that, the Hawks had moved out of the past into the future.

Fifteen to go?
Flames Fever Survives Game 1 Heartbreaker

Quote:
"Here in Calgary, it's either you lose in the first round or you've got a shot at it," Chohan said about the Stanley Cup final. "This year's one of those years we're going to have a shot." Andy Trifaux, 42, said he also expects the team to go all the way. "When you make the playoffs there's only one goal and that's to hoist the Cup -- anything less is a huge disappointment," said Trifaux
Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Pokerface
Scoring Winger

Exp:

what an emotional rollercoaster...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keenan should have gone ballistic after the OT goal, the whole team should have. It's not going to change a damn thing, but it can and will pay dividends down the line.

And why why why don't the Flames do the same thing, CRASH THE NET. It's effective, especially against a good goaltender that has your number.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
what an emotional rollercoaster...
LOL, that was only game 1. This team is going far and will have huge swings.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
joejoe3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Keenan should have gone ballistic after the OT goal, the whole team should have. It's not going to change a damn thing, but it can and will pay dividends down the line.

And why why why don't the Flames do the same thing, CRASH THE NET. It's effective, especially against a good goaltender that has your number.
Incorrect, you don't crash the net, you crash the goaltender in this case
Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why doesn't the media ask questions about the real issue at hand. Trying to sit on a one goal lead with plenty of time left on the clock. That's why Calgary lost a game they should've won.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If the Flames crashed the net and got called on the interference, they would have to call it on the other end of the ice as well. That might not be a terrible thing. I am not saying take a liberty, but make your presnce known, push just as far as they do.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty sure we scored a goal last night from Moss crashing the net. Maybe we should do it more, but you can't say we don't.

Also, what dividends are you so convinced would be coming our way if we went "ballistic"?

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Us Sutter View Post
Also, what dividends are you so convinced would be coming our way if we went "ballistic"?
Because it works. At the very least, you show the players that you actually give a damn. It also makes the refs think twice about calls down the line.

Sometimes I wonder if Keenan has a heartbeat.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

Big problem is that they are so confident that they are going to score on the powerplay as Cammalleri indicates with his "next one's in" thing. They need to stop being so mentally weak and go out and do the little things that are called powerplay fundamentals of which they do none on a regular basis. Pretty concerning when the only thing that has changed is that they think each powerplay is going to be successful without any willingness to do anything of substance differently. That "next one's in" is some horrible stuff.

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
calgARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kerr's blog post from the Fan960
Quote:
The fact the game winning goal was scored with contact on the goalie and one of the officials on the ice was involved in the controversial call that took a power play goal away from Calgary 3 weeks ago when no contact was made. It isn’t the call that upsets me, but it is the optics, it just doesn’t look good for the league.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
ClassicFlames04
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In comment to the Flames PP, I do believe that it is coming or that the opportunity is their for them to take advantage of the powerplays they get. In observation of last nights game I felt as though Chicago's kill gave them lots of time and space to set up, Chicago was very much passive on their kill. On example was when Moss had his back to the boards usually in a killing situation your told you see there back to you, you should close and apply pressure however Chicago did not. So on that note with Chicago playing passive it plays in favour of Flames shooters. Next point I have to make regarding the PP is net prescence which has been reiterate many times on this board. Bertuzzi would be the ideal candidate for standing in front of the net, however I beleive he has no desire to be there, on one PP yesterday he place himself in great position in front of the net except once the puck went to the corner he left that position to go get the puck, he needs to stay there and let jokinen or others retrieve.

Couple observations is all, Preston should let Moss sit in front of the net and bang the pucks and maybe place Bertuzzi in a position to distribute the puck as that seems to be what he wants to do. All in the all, "the next one in going in"
ClassicFlames04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I've watched the replay of the OT goal a couple times now and Ladd was touching Kiprusoff, but I didn't see anything I'd call a "bump". Ladd was standing directly infront of him screening him as best he could. At best you could say Ladd prevented Kiprusoff from cutting down theangle on Havlat's shot.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Quote:
Because it works. At the very least, you show the players that you actually give a damn. It also makes the refs think twice about calls down the line.

Sometimes I wonder if Keenan has a heartbeat.
Meh. I'm pretty sure the players know Keenan cares? How many quotes have we heard from them saying "No one loves to win as much as Mike"?

As for the refs, they may think twice, but it could go both ways. They may give you the call next time, or they may get pissed at you for trying to make them look bad and nail you again down the road.

I'd rather the team and Mike do what they did; get off the ice and start preparing for the next game. He mentioned it during his press conference, as did a few players, so the league/refs know they're upset. I just don't think making a big scene on the ice helps anyone. It's not like they were going to reverse the call.

Sometimes I wonder if your hate for Keenan beats louder than any heart does.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Vernie_30
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Colin Campbell remarks from The Situation Room

Quote:
On hit by Calgary's Mike Cammalleri on Chicago's Martin Havlat: "When Cammalleri hit Havlat, there was a lot of risk to doing that. He took a two-minute penalty in a game where there could have been ramifications for doing that. But there are no ramifications when you're losing 4-1 with six seconds left."

On Martin Havlat's winning goal for Chicago: "Things in hockey or in life never happen in slow motion or in replays. They happen live ... When the foot-in-the-crease rule was taken out – one of the worst rules in hockey – it was taken out with a couple of factors in mind: One was that there are two referees now and one is always around the net. He gets a good look at what's happening and he makes a judgment. Quickly. He's there to protect the goalie in the blue, but also to let hockey happen. And he's got to understand whether a guy was pushed by another player or whether he went in there on his own. And when the puck goes in the net, he's got to decide whether this was just incidental contact – allow the goal, no penalty – or (whether) it was contact made on purpose and take the goal down and give the player a penalty. In this case, he made a judgment call. And if he had made it the other way, you would have heard lots of arguments from the Chicago side. It's one those plays where you're going to get dissatisfaction one way or the other."

(Was Vernie_29)
Vernie_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Coaleeee
its fine if the pathetic call against Minny doesnt happen and Walkom didnt come out guns a blazing with arrogant "gutsy call" BS....The league looks bad because of it now..

The judgment call? so the officials can direct the outcome of the game...how hard is to make it black and white?

I wonder what his take is, on when Kipper was "slew" footed behind the net..no call...
Judgement call on that one too?

I heard from Fan 960 and on TSN that the league sent out a directive announcing they would crack down on goalie interference...These 2 officials last night failed in that directive and should be taken off playoff duty...

The problem now is, if Calgary comes out in Game 2 and starts running the crease, they will get called for all of it...
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Ace Handy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's been said in this thread and in a few others and in Kerr's blog. It's not that the goal was counted. I can live with the view that Ladd was pushed and had it been any other ref I think I'd be able to let it go. But it's the same ########## that called a goal back for far less than what happened last night and didn't even consider that this might not be a goal.
Ace Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace Handy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Handy View Post
It's been said in this thread and in a few others and in Kerr's blog. It's not that the goal was counted. I can live with the view that Ladd was pushed and had it been any other ref I think I'd be able to let it go. But it's the same ########## that called a goal back for far less than what happened last night and didn't even consider that this might not be a goal.

exactly. it's the inconsistency that the problem. Furlatt better not ref another Flames game.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Handy View Post
Agreed, the NHL needs some consistency because they are quickly losing credibility. Glencross gets a goal called back by the same ref 3 weeks earlier. Last night a similar situation but with actual contact and it's a goal. WTF?

IMO, Glencross is a given goal but somehow is not called. The NHL comes up with some lame excuse and should have just admitted that they f'd up. The Havlat goal is borderline but probably a goal and the NHL comes up again with a lame excuse of "either team is going to be dissatified".
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #20
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

to anyone NOT disputing this goal and saying it was legit......If that was the winner ....game winning goal to win the cup would you still be gloating your opinion??????

Didnt think so

OH AND IT WAS 2 GOALS NOT COUNTED BY GLENCROSS WAS IT NOT???

Last edited by EVERLAST; 04-17-2009 at 05:58 PM.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game 1 , news , roundup