Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Playoff games are usually worth twice as much. So they’re saying this is close to a 15-20 gamer. Absolute random wheel of justice.
The problem was he got 5 last time. They had to increase it or ignore repeat offender status. And they don’t ever admit there’s a different standard for PO games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #22
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't their a certain amount of time where your record doesn't count as "repeat offence" status? i thought it was 15 or 18 months
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #23
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually way more than I expected.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #24
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Playoff games are usually worth twice as much. So they’re saying this is close to a 15-20 gamer. Absolute random wheel of justice.
Its not random when Gary calls you a few weeks back and says buck up or get out.

That said glad it happened to Kadri.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:13 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Why isn't Gary calling Wilson and saying the same thing?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't their a certain amount of time where your record doesn't count as "repeat offence" status? i thought it was 15 or 18 months
Yes, there is. Not sure of the time.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

This seems way too high to me. Kadri was 6 inches off from being legal, and the NHL can't prove that wasn't his intent.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #28
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"intent" isn't really relevant when you hit a guy who doesn't have the puck, from the blind side, and clip his chin with your ascending shoulder.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #29
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me check my calendar. Hmmm, it's May, yet... oh, wait, there it is Kadri suspended. Yup. It's playoffs time.

Isn't that the 3rd time in 4 years for Kadri?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:07 PM   #30
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Let me check my calendar. Hmmm, it's May, yet... oh, wait, there it is Kadri suspended. Yup. It's playoffs time.

Isn't that the 3rd time in 4 years for Kadri?
Yessir

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/05/21...-justin-faulk/

Quote:
Nazem Kadri’s suspension history
This seems like a pertinent time to note Nazem Kadri’s larger suspension history.

November 2013: Nazem Kadri was suspended three games for interference. In that case, he collided with then-Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom.
March 2015: Next, Kadri sat four games for an illegal hit to the head of Matt Fraser.
April 2016: The 2015-16 season ended early for Kadri after he cross-checked Luke Glendening. It was another four-game suspension.
April 2018: Now we get to the back-to-back Kadri suspensions vs. the Bruins in playoff games. Kadri missed Games 2, 3, and 4 in the Maple Leafs’ 2018 First Round series vs. the Bruins for a hit on Tommy Wingels.
April 2019: A year later, the NHL suspended Nazem Kadri for the remainder of the Bruins – Maple Leafs First Round series (3-5 games) for a dangerous hit on Jake DeBrusk.
May 2021: The NHL suspended Nazem Kadri eight games for that hit on Justin Faulk.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #31
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Tom Wilson acting like a baboon a few weeks ago wasn’t nearly as dangerous or malicious as this hit by Kadri. And I’m saying this as someone who dislikes Tom Wilson and likes Nazem Kadri.
Split second thing in the course of full-speed play where a few inches and milliseconds make a huge difference

vs.

After the whistle unnecessary BS that was still pretty darn dangerous

I don't mind this suspension at all, but I do think it's way out of whack compared to a lot of other stuff.

Personally, I'm a little more forgiving of full-speed incidents than slower ones involving more deliberate actions (say McDonagh on Duclair, Wilson after the whistle, or Kassian kicking, etc.). I know things happen fast, but the latter are more binary do vs. don't, whereas Kadri throwing a hit there wasn't the problem, but that he didn't make sure to find torso.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 11:23 PM   #32
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is a "Repeat Offender"?
A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.

It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline.
https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safe...tions/c-738846

So the repeat offender thing has more to do with salary.

Kadri has never been more than 25 months between incidents. 6 suspensions in the last 8 years.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 11:49 PM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
What did Kadri get for the throat slash? I forget.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:34 AM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
8 games seems excessive for that hit. Must be getting the repeat offender bump.
He has been suspended 3 of the last 4 playoffs
Old 05-22-2021, 01:50 AM   #35
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a feeling that someone like Kadri really really really argues his point with the department of players safety. He doesn't come off as the type who will just sit there and learn, ask questions, be humble, admit wrong doing, show concern etc.

He probably just comes off as an absolute beauty in the eyes of the people involved and that might influence their decision. I don't know if that hit is an 8 game, playoff suspension but it could be. If it was someone else and that player got 2-3, I don't think that would have been out of line either.

Either way, I never liked this player as a player and I am glad we never landed this guy in Calgary
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:18 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the real question is....What bodies are buried and why does Wilson know where they are? Did he bury them?

Frankly I think this is a perfectly reasonable suspension on its own merits, but within the context of other punishments which were far, far more lenient it doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

Then again, trying to determine the reasons and methodology behind the NHL's Department of Player Safety's rulings requires Mental Gymnastics that even Flat-Earthers would balk at.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 04:26 AM   #37
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I have a feeling that someone like Kadri really really really argues his point with the department of players safety. He doesn't come off as the type who will just sit there and learn, ask questions, be humble, admit wrong doing, show concern etc.

He probably just comes off as an absolute beauty in the eyes of the people involved and that might influence their decision. I don't know if that hit is an 8 game, playoff suspension but it could be. If it was someone else and that player got 2-3, I don't think that would have been out of line either.

Either way, I never liked this player as a player and I am glad we never landed this guy in Calgary
I think you're right. They sure do come down hard on him. Plus I think he wears his heart on his sleeve/is kind of dumb so he says some stupid things.

Still one of my favourite Leafs though. He always gave his all. Maybe a little like Sam Bennett? It's like his brain turns off in the playoffs.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #38
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Now I'm glad he did refuse to come to Calgary back when they tried to swap Brodie for him. We got lucky, who needs that on a team. Tkachuck is a disturber, Kadri seems to be really reckless.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:05 AM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What did Kadri get for the throat slash? I forget.
Just a max fine, no games
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #40
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Now I'm glad he did refuse to come to Calgary back when they tried to swap Brodie for him. We got lucky, who needs that on a team. Tkachuck is a disturber, Kadri seems to be really reckless.
Not me. I’d take that trade and kadri recklessness any day of the week. Flames are far to passive. I look no further than every time Wilson of the capitals gets into it, the rest of his teammates have his back. Then there is our beloved flames who tell Tkachuk that they are tired of going into scrums when he goes off. Right there in a nutshell,for me, is what is wrong with the flames.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote