Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2021, 04:08 AM   #41
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^^^ we can’t trade every player. I wonder if there is this mentality with other fan bases?...

Remember that the value coming back is rarely what the player is worth to the team. Especially with a player like Tkachuk.

Don’t forget by the time the dust cleared....all we got for Phaneuf was Matt Stajan...never mind the Iginla, Regehr, Bouw, trades.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:50 AM   #42
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerkel3d View Post
He's never seemed to me like the kind of guy who seems buddy buddy with his teammates like Rasmus, Mange, johnny, and Mommy are (there are others too), and I've always had the impression that he may be resented by his teammates for his attitude at times.
Sometimes it's hard to be yourself when Mommy is watching.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #43
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

He likes to drive the puck to the net. Uses No look passes out front but no one on his line is ever standing there.

The no look Chip pass between his legs when trying to get it out of our zone needs to stop though. Coughs it up consistently Instead of just shooting it out.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
JG’s quote was framed a little different IMO. It tended to lean towards that they didn’t see it on the ice, saw the replay when getting off the ice, and didn’t think it warranted quite the reaction (and sounds like it wasn’t the first time Tkachuk had gotten this upset), “but that was MT being MT”.

That and whatever previous similar beef JG mentioned, sounded like it was more a MT personal/individual issue that he reacted to, not a “I’m upset the team lost and now I’m the only one getting emotional”.

He has looked off significantly. Seems to be happy making or trying to make one play a shift and if it doesn’t work out, that’s it, he’s got no confidence. And yeah if that team meeting clipped his wings a bit, he’s likely not in a good space yet.
That’s what I took from it. I suspect the conversation went:

Tkachuk: you guys didn’t have my back against Muzzin
Team: we didn’t even see it happen - everyone on the bench was heading down the tunnel. Anyway, we saw the tape - there really wasn’t much to it. Muzzin was just trying to get your goat. Frankly, it’s exhausting and getting old how we have to get into big scrums because you fly off the handle at a minor stuff, or knee a goalie in the head, etc.

I doubt the team told him “we don’t have your back” and I doubt they said “don’t play with emotion”. But let’s be honest - Tkachuk gets himself into a lot of incidents all on his own and it has to get old for some guys. He is putting his linemates in a situation where they have to grab some 230 pound defenceman and hope for the best. I recall Claude Lemieux’s teammates getting tired of his antics and just leaving him on the ice for a line change when he faked an injury trying to draw a penalty for the umpteenth time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Did you guys even listen to the same interview? It was a joke. They didn't see what happened with Muzzin cause they were skating off the ice, and so they naturally thought he was pissed off about the loss. Johnny was like, "I get being pissed about the loss, but it's only the 4th game of the season lol."

He said they didn't see what happened until they were watching the highlights later. He also said Matty was too pissed after the game and wasn't talking much so he didn't tell them what had happened.

AND he also said that they play TO again, so it'll be dealt with for sure.

Edit: Sometimes I feel like people just listen to the words and ignore the context.

Like Bill Burr's bit about context... when a woman is letting you do something, but she doesn't want you to think she does it all the time, so she's like, "omg what are you doing... noooo... stooooop... omgggg...." but then in court they read the transcript and it's like...

"Omg."
"What are you doing?"
"No."
"Stop."
"Omg."

And then you're like, "SHE DIDN'T SAY IT LIKE THAT!"

(It's Bill Burr, so obviously there's swearing.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-18-2021 at 08:34 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

He hasn’t been performing as well as I think he can. However, I believe a few freak seasons set the bar higher than realistic for Tkachuk. To me, I’ve always seen him as a Dustin Brown comparable (With more offensive flair). You certainly want the guy on your team, he can be leader, he gets into the dirty areas, and he can score and should be on power play as he is. But he isn’t going to be the best forward on the team, he’s much more like a high end role player. I’m hardly concerned about his qualifying offer number because I don’t see anyway he and his agent think that’s a smart play. He isn’t worth $9mil per, even in a pre-flat cap situation.

I hope he can get back to where he was, bringing what he does best. And I hope they can work out a multi year deal at an appropriate cap hit. He’s a guy you want around in my opinion, but he isn’t going to put up 70+ points every season.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #47
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
covid long hauler
I think it's difficult with these circumstances for sure. Hockey should be fun- not just the games but having fun with your buddies/team mates.

Perhaps social media is too prevalent rn too. Everyone is using it more and there are a lot of stupid, ignorant opinions flying around and people wanting to blow off steam or get attention.

There are a lot of potential obstacles or things out of the control of players and the team. They may want to all go xcountry skiing (low risk, outdoor activity with distancing) or something just to get away from routine and have fun.

Anyway I think Tkachuk and the team will be good. They are extremely talented committed athletes who look to be great people too.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-18-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #48
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's playing like the beer leaguer that thinks he's too good for the division he is in. Tries all these fancy plays that rarely work, coasts around and doesn't backcheck.

When he took the knee after the hit, slowly got to his feet and watched the goal happen (4th goal I believe last night) I saw someone that should've been benched, and I was surprised he was out again in the 3rd.

Hopefully two games vs Edmonton wake him up, but if he half-asses it these games something really is wrong.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #49
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe some players just need fans (either home or away) in the stands to play better. Maybe his lack of production stems from that.
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustycana For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #50
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wonder if we're trending towards the Dion/Iginla feud that happened. This time with Gio/Chucky?

I don't think we've had a player like Chucky on the roster that carries the same swagger as Dion did when he first came here.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This is just a theory, I have no inside information, but I think he may be rubbing some team-mates the wrong way.

As Strider said to Frodo: You draw far too much attention to yourself, Mr. Underhill.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This is just a theory, I have no inside information, but I think he may be rubbing some team-mates the wrong way.

As Strider said to Frodo: You draw far too much attention to yourself, Mr. Underhill.
The guys on 960 were basically saying that this morning. I would agree.

He has looked neutered in the games I have watched since the Muzzin thing.. and the rumors of acting cliquey on the team have been swirling for years.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #53
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^He still has a game to play and a job to do he is getting paid well.

Coach should side with MT and tell the rest of the team to show some emotion. Sometimes his antics may be too much but that part can be taught and toned down. Coach should not let a situation like this fracture the team. Got to get them working together before the season is lost.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #54
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
You have a lot of lengthy, intelligent, nuanced posts about a variety of things on this site and then you come up with “headcase” for what is going on with Tkachuk? Weird. There is clearly something wrong, be it concussions, some serious complacency, his shenanigans not playing like they did before and a fatigue regarding those issues from the rest of the team/organization or some combination of those things...I don’t know what it is, but headcase? Probably not.
I think Tkachuk is a headcase. He let his limited success inflate his self image and he honestly believes he is the heart and soul of the team and everyone should follow him. The problem is he's an immature jerk who has zero impulse control and is very easily taken off his game. He talks a really big game, but never delivers when the chips are down. He expects everyone to back him up when he is writing checks no one else is willing to fund. I honestly think he expects everyone to fight the battles he builds up, even though they provide little value to the overall goals of the team. What's worse, Tkachuk think he's a master head game player and thinks he's getting under the opposition's skin with his antics, but in reality he has become a distraction to his team and has managed to get under his own skin and in his own head. Matthew Tkachuk's worst enemy is Matthew Tkachuk, which makes him a headcase.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
^^He still has a game to play and a job to do he is getting paid well.

Coach should side with MT and tell the rest of the team to show some emotion. Sometimes his antics may be too much but that part can be taught and toned down. Coach should not let a situation like this fracture the team. Got to get them working together before the season is lost.
You're assuming we have a coach who has control of the room. Not sure if you've been paying attention to this season so far, but Geoff Ward is struggling to control his emotions let alone the hockey team he is supposed to be coaching.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #56
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

He plays great with Backlund and Mangiapane but that’s about it really. Put that line back together and leave it together. One problem solved.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #57
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are over thinking it.

Tkachuk has the yips.

Lets just hope he can work it out before the season is over.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #58
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Frankly, I want more of that nasty pos MT. And any player who doesn't like it, or wants to tone it down can GTFO!! That's the player who is ok with slow starts. That's the player who gives up on a play or doesn't take the hit to get the puck out of the zone.

The room has gotten too buddy-buddy and the players are acting like they're taking a windy walk instead of going to war.

Does this team look like it has something to prove? I sure as hell don't see it and it seems like MT doesn't either.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #59
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I've been feeling more and more like there's a deep locker room rift that we're not entirely privy too. Guys have noticeably stopped supporting eachother in scrums on the ice as much, lack of consistent effort in other areas, way less smiles and yucking on the bench, and finally the strange rumblings we keep getting of players not wanting to play in certain positions (or maybe is it with certain other players...)

Something isn't right and it's not just with individual player compete level. Smells bad.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #60
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk isn't as bad as he's playing, but he isn't as good as a few people seem to think. His shooting percentage will normalize eventually.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:

Tags
matthew , tkachuk